Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM

836 posts, read 1,653,965 times

Advertisements

Well, this video is true:

NO CAMPING - Walmart Lot - Williston ND Sept 2013 - YouTube

as well as this one:

Convoys - Williston Sept 2013 (Alexander, North Dakota ) - YouTube

because I took them a few months ago.

The important thing you'll notice from the "Should I move to Williston" posts is HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND ON HOUSING?!?

The overwhelming bent is to cut your teeth in the oil biz somewhere cheaper to live then network to Williston area if so inclined.

With rare exception you do NOT want to drive up there in your car cold turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,888,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Well, this video is true: [ no camping ]
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
... as well as this one: [ Convoys - Williston Sept 2013 (Alexander, North Dakota ) ]
I'd like to point out that most small towns in ND/MT have a state highway passing nearby and one or so roads leading into the town.

Alexander is an exception in that the highway slices right through the middle of town.

I'd also like to point out that you could take a video of highway 101 and make it look like all the towns like Mountain View and Burlingame are suck-arse towns that are totally undesirable. All the stuff he was saying in the first video reminded me of the Silicon Valley boom in the late 1990's.

The difference is that now, anyone with an axe to grind and a cellphone can trash anything and post it for the world to see.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 17,526 times
The video is a lie! I worked in Williston for a year- waitress & talked to ALOT of guys! No you don't need experience , you start out at the bottom & work your way up... housing is expensive & hard to find but most of the oil companies have mancamps that they put you up in. Out of town if you take a left by Sanjel and head out of town there are private mancamps that are less than the apts in town...you do have to pass the drug test, they work in the winter! You can no longer camp out in the Walmart parking lot,
&if you can shop late at night when you don't have to wait in line and the shelves are re-stocked!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 PM

360 posts, read 808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmw View Post
The video is a lie! I worked in Williston for a year- waitress & talked to ALOT of guys! No you don't need experience , you start out at the bottom & work your way up... housing is expensive & hard to find but most of the oil companies have mancamps that they put you up in. Out of town if you take a left by Sanjel and head out of town there are private mancamps that are less than the apts in town...you do have to pass the drug test, they work in the winter! You can no longer camp out in the Walmart parking lot,
&if you can shop late at night when you don't have to wait in line and the shelves are re-stocked!
Are you stating that portions of the video are untrue or that the entire video is?
There's a difference between the two.
Also, being a woman, how would you personally know anything about mancamps?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM

I would say almost all of the video is untrue. And I did live in a mancamp when I first moved out there- there are some that will take females and some for couples too. And being a waitress you get to know the regulars and most of them lived in mancamps. Jobs are easy to find without connections, you start out at the bottom but move up. The pay per hour isn't really high, between $18 & $22 (?) an hour but have 40+ hours in overtime...

Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 PM

433 posts, read 447,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Also, being a woman, how would you personally know anything about mancamps?
Lol wow. "Man" camp is a slang term for field housing, it does NOT mean that only men are there. In fact, most of the larger ones have entire wings or sections dedicated purely to women.

It's no wonder you started this thread topic OP because it's clear that the ONLY actual "research" you're doing about the area comes from angry guys on youtube spewing misinformation.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 PM

360 posts, read 808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
Lol wow. "Man" camp is a slang term for field housing, it does NOT mean that only men are there. In fact, most of the larger ones have entire wings or sections dedicated purely to women.

It's no wonder you started this thread topic OP because it's clear that the ONLY actual "research" you're doing about the area comes from angry guys on youtube spewing misinformation.
I know what a man camp is.
I work contract maintenance.
I have stayed at one and most only have limited facilities for females.
The poster stated that she didn't live in one....
[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-19-2014 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Not needed.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:55 PM

?..if 'she' is me- I never said I didn't live in a mancamp! I got lucky meeting people at work and found an apartment -after a month in a mancamp. Williston is a great place to work no doubt about that! I'm just glad the job situation changed back home so I only had to stay there a year... sure miss the $$$ tho!...and the friends I made and 'regulars' I got to know...

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM

433 posts, read 447,506 times
[Mod cut]

Well, I pointed out pretty early on that the vid is total BS, as did many others, yet you still can't seem to figure out that the ravings of some crybaby on youtube don't actually count for much when it comes to discerning the truth.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-19-2014 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Not needed

Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,888,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post

Well, I pointed out pretty early on that the vid is total BS, ....
You didn't point out that the vid was also lame.

Had the vid-maker just aimed the camera at himself or at his shoes, it would have been absolutely as interesting.

I kept fast-forwarding through it - lest I drifted off into sleepy-land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston