Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but that information is false on a local level. Globally, Halliburton, Schlumberger, etc... announced they will be laying off thousands of workers. Halliburton in Williston did NOT lay off 1,000 workers. What Elk Hunter is probably referring to is maybe Baker Hughes (big boys) selling out to Halliburton. With this happening, yes, a thousand jobs or more could be on the line when the 2 companies merge globally, but not locally. But there were not 1,000 jobs lost in Williston by Baker Hughes or Halliburton. As far as companies pulling out or gone. I haven't heard of all the ones you mentioned, but I can tell you Continental is still playing a major play in the Bakken. Yes, some layoffs for many of the companies, but not the mass layoffs that so many are suggesting. So much hype and exaggerated stories when it comes to the oil industry. It is not going bust, but it is experiencing a slow down until the prices go back up to get things moving full force again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:36 PM

62 posts, read 123,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
Left in early December after working since late March.
Currently wintering in Seal Beach, CA.
Will go back up again after easter.
Nobody with any sense spends the winter in Williston.
I guess I got no sense - I made the most money ever in my life in one month (Jan., 2015) for 3 weeks of work. Hope it's beautiful where you are...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Sorry, but that information is false on a local level. Globally, Halliburton, Schlumberger, etc... announced they will be laying off thousands of workers. Halliburton in Williston did NOT lay off 1,000 workers. What Elk Hunter is probably referring to is maybe Baker Hughes (big boys) selling out to Halliburton. With this happening, yes, a thousand jobs or more could be on the line when the 2 companies merge globally, but not locally. But there were not 1,000 jobs lost in Williston by Baker Hughes or Halliburton. As far as companies pulling out or gone. I haven't heard of all the ones you mentioned, but I can tell you Continental is still playing a major play in the Bakken. Yes, some layoffs for many of the companies, but not the mass layoffs that so many are suggesting. So much hype and exaggerated stories when it comes to the oil industry. It is not going bust, but it is experiencing a slow down until the prices go back up to get things moving full force again.
Wish I could find the article again. One company sold "the Lift Division". They said it would be 1000 jobs. Then they said that the workers in Williston, found out at the Monday morning meeting when they were told to turn in their pickup trucks by end of day. Then they had a picture of the parking lot with a bunch of white colored pickups parked. The caption at the bottom of the picture said there were 76 pickups turned in so far.

It did not say 1000 jobs for n Williston, it said 1000 jobs in the Lift Division, but showed the shop in Williston.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 PM

Thanks for clarifying Elk Hunter. It is unreal how the national media uses "Williston" pictures for anything and everything from "minimum wage" stories to something happening in the Oil Industry. I don't know how many times I've seen the picture of $17 per hour hiring sign at the Williston Wal Mart when the story is about minimum wage in Seattle. Or fracking concerns in New York, and they show a guy standing next to a gas flare "outside of Williston, ND". I'm sure there are layoffs at many of the companies in and around Williston, but not the thousands as some people are suggesting. Maybe down the road if the price of oil doesn't pick up in the next year. But I'm confident places like Williston will survive this downturn.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Williston will not be "busting" anytime soon. Things have slowed down in the patch...but now it is busy...not insanely crazy. Many of the "layoffs" have been positions that were never filled. There are many of the drillers who are layed off, but those positions will eventually return when the price of oil goes back up and drilling once again goes gangbusters. Many of the drillers have actually gotten other oil filed related positions and am guessing they will keep them only until the drilling jobs return. Williston is still busy, construction is absolutely crazy and I have read several articles that the developers have indicated no slow down anytime soon. They pretty much are considering this a lull and continue to build for what is expected to come. No doom or gloom in Williston or Watford City areas ... yet anyway.
I read recently...that every drilling rig has an average of 120 employees....so....doing the math....there have been layoffs...the rig count is relatively easy to follow. Every drilling rig that stacks out....120 folks...That means also that the service company's will slow or stop that deliver water, sand and everything else to the drilling rigs...it is a snowball effect. no drilling, no fracking....not sure how many employees are utilized when fracking......while the area may not be the doom and gloom of other oil related areas....no sense in being in denial....production jobs will likely be around for many years....as long as there is oil pumping. i find the numbers producing to date astounding.....pretty interesting. https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/stats/...enoilstats.pdf
another interesting link...http://peakoilbarrel.com/eia-confusion/

Looks like planting your feet with a good company doing production is the best bet...imo

Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirter View Post
I guess I got no sense - I made the most money ever in my life in one month (Jan., 2015) for 3 weeks of work. Hope it's beautiful where you are...

More power to you.
I did very well myself thru the bulk of last year.
But I'll still pass on ND winters just the same.
And yes, it's been in the 80's here all winter.
I'll take it...

Old 03-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Not criticizing anyone where they choose to live. But no matter where you live, you have your good and bad. You can put up with the harsh winters of North Dakota where you go from heated houses, to heated cars, to heated stores and can't do much outside because of the cold and snow. Same goes for many who live in the southern states. Beautiful winters, but have many cousins living in Arizona, Texas, and southern California. They go from their air conditioned homes, to their air conditioned cars to their air conditioned stores and work....and they can't do too much outside during the summer, because it is just too hot and miserable. We have snow and blizzards in North Dakota, but they have their hurricanes, earthquakes and lots of tornado's in some parts of the south. We have mosquito's, but they have their fire ants, water moccasins, scorpions, roaches etc... it all depends where you want to live...each has their good and each has their bad. I like North Dakota just fine.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Halliburtons good ole boys system did in fact lay off over 1000 people since the beginning of the 2015 year until April in north dakota. This is s fact and the good ole boys used the layoffs to flush out the people they didn't like. This is a fact!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield Bill View Post
Halliburtons good ole boys system did in fact lay off over 1000 people since the beginning of the 2015 year until April in north dakota. This is s fact and the good ole boys used the layoffs to flush out the people they didn't like. This is a fact!
The quote by a previous poster is that they laid off people by the "thousands". I can believe the 1000 across all of ND. But not in the thousands in reference to just Williston, which is what the discussion was about.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM

708 posts, read 721,182 times
I used to work to Halliburton and I know the District Manager of Halliburton and most of the employees they had
working for Halliburton in North Dakota was 1500. There is no way they laid off 1000 employees. They did layoff
some, closer to 300. You have to remember fracing will be busy again this summer when ND production tax goes off
and there are lots of wells waiting to be fraced. About 1000 at this point. They all have to be completed within 1 year of being drilled. I think Halliburton has closed their Minot office and Dickinson will see more layoffs because all the
activity is closer to Williston. I live in Williston and I'm seeing everything starting to centralize here again instead expanding into other cites. Williston will always be the center of oilfield in North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston