Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 23,784 times

Advertisements

Will do von949. Leaving in a week. I will be sure to stop in there for my boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:42 AM

133 posts, read 175,315 times
I'm a 50+ year old woman and I envy your upcoming adventure. Good luck, keep warm and have fun!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM

98 posts, read 289,643 times
Have u gotten into town already?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 PM

Thanks SlimMoeDee

Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 PM

robm1989 trying to get a few loose ends tied up made me postpone my departure but lm back on track now and due to head out tomorrow. I'll post here when I arrive! Thanks everyone for your insight and support. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:58 AM

174 posts, read 378,634 times
Skip Walmart and hit up the Staffing agencies when you get here. It is temp work but it is industry relative experience. Things will be a little slow between now and the end of year due to budgets for most companies but there WILL be openings once the first Arctic blast hits. Turn that CDL permit into a CDL ASAP and you won't have to work about finding work because it will find you.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 AM

What up peeps. Just wanted to post a quick update as promised. I arrived safely in Williston last week. I have found temporary housing in the form of a room in a house where a few oil workers also rent rooms. Its actually pretty comfortable and comes equipped with cable/wifi and most importantly HEAT. Very important as its starting to get pretty cold up here. Cost: $1,000 a month. Based on what I've seen in terms of price and availability in the area I consider myself very lucky to have even found it. Not much else here at that price point. In general you can expect to pay a minimum of $2,000/mo for a one bedroom and $3,000 -$4,000 + is very common for 2 or more bedrooms. In the short time I've been here its clear that many, many people come here unprepared. Some I know for a fact slept in cars last night and it was very cold and snowing. Yikes. You do not want to be one of these people. Lots of great info in these forums and elsewhere in places like YouTube etc. Using these resources will definitely help you alot. I cannot stress enough that you simply cannot just come here unprepared. Doing your homework is a must.

On another note if you intend on coming here for an oil job (roustabout,floorhand type jobs in particular) and have no experience I would highly reccomend registering for the Floorhand Training Course at WSC. It costs $950 but if you are serious about getting an oil job its the way to go. It will obviously pay for itself very quickly. Upon completion of the course prospective employers generally come interview the graduates and I have heard some great success stories. Lots of other people I've seen who come and try to go it on their own have been here for months and still trying to get an oil job. Sure they are able to find other work in the meantime but I'd much rather not spin my wheels personally. Other than that I'm so far enjoying my time in Wiiliston and am glad I came. That's all for now but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
I'm in Southeast Louisiana and have been seriously thinking of moving to North Dakota. My background is almost 20 years in Administration, Management and non-profits. My kids are grown and I will soon be 53 and wanting desperately to experience new adventures and challenges while making a decent living to become debt free and enjoy life. It seems as though it would be wise for me to plan to come in the Spring since winter has pretty much set in. This will allow time for planning, preparing, saving money and job search. I'm curious as to what the demand is for Administrative Executives are in Williston. Any information would be helpful.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiVibes View Post
I'm in Southeast Louisiana and have been seriously thinking of moving to North Dakota. My background is almost 20 years in Administration, Management and non-profits. My kids are grown and I will soon be 53 and wanting desperately to experience new adventures and challenges while making a decent living to become debt free and enjoy life. It seems as though it would be wise for me to plan to come in the Spring since winter has pretty much set in. This will allow time for planning, preparing, saving money and job search. I'm curious as to what the demand is for Administrative Executives are in Williston. Any information would be helpful.
No Country for Old Men

Try for jobs in Bismark, and Fargo.

Cheers
Qazulight (54 live in Fargo. from Texas, not planning on going back)

Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 AM

PositiVibes cant say I have much insight into the admin/executive side of whats going on here but I would venture to guess that it would be useful if you had any oil or at least bonafide transferable experience in a smiliar industry. I would check out openings for those types of positions and pay close attention to what they are seeking in qualified candidates. From there I guess you could determine whether your experience is transferable and if not what steps you may need to take to make yourself competitive in the Bakken job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston