Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 AM

7 posts, read 47,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
Was glad to read in the Williston Herald that another apartment complex is coming to Williston. They are out of Caldwell, Idaho. So sounds like the housing shortage will be come less of a problem in a year or so. The other being built is called Bakken Heights, being built in the NW part of Williston by the Marcil development group out of Fargo. Hope your family can find a place so they can get your grandkids back to the MonDak region.
I've been here for 3 months now, and I can tell you without hesitation that it'll take more than a few apartments to relieve the living situation here. I hear and understand what you're saying..and it's true of course that something is better than nothing...but it's going to take a LOT of construction to house the people that are trying to get in and can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxdood View Post
Williston really is a nice town...unfortunately it is next-to-impossible to move here right now with the oil boom and subsequent extreme housing shortage. Finding a rental or apartment is even tougher and motels stay nearly at max occupancy. I've been in the area nearly 3 months and am having to consider resigning from the position that I accepted here...simply because there's no homes to buy (reasonably).
Just in case you may not have thought of the idea:

Understand the need for affordable housing. Are there lots available in/near Williston? If so, how about a Modular home like:
Centennial Homes -- The Largest Manufactured Home Dealer in the Midwest
They have a plant in Bismarck(based out of Aberdeen,SD), I believe. You would probably need someone to do the masonary work, the landscaping could be done over time. Not trying to sell you on them, there are others around. Also, not sure if there are any pre-cut home company's still around. My first home was a Capp home out
of Minneapolis. They framed it in, I hired someone to do the masonary work, I did the rest. It was the only way I could afford a home at the time, right after getting married. Doing a pre-cut home the rule of thumb was you saved about 1/3 the cost over outright buying one. You got a construction loan and one year to finish it. After that you have to obtain financing on your own.
Not for everyone, I realize as it takes a lot of work and I didn't have little ones yet.
Good luck in finding a home near Williston.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM

103 posts, read 706,489 times
I think manufactured homes are a great idea. Unfortunately, many towns don't allow manufactured on city lots. You would almost need to purchase land outside of town, and then put in septic, water, roads, electricity (rural)...by the time you are all done, you probably could have built a home in town for the same price. The biggest problem facing Williston right now seems to be lack of construction workers to build the homes, and without the homes, you don't get workers...it's a wierd situation. But I agree, manufactured homes would be great. Maybe the city of Williston could develop or annex some land into the city for a manufactured home community that would be a part of the city? The new manufactured homes are VERY nice these days.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
There is an area in the western part of Williston that has a couple blocks of manufactured homes with garages. They were brought in over the last couple years, but it was my understanding that particular area was zoned for manufactured homes, with the requirements that they be placed on permanent foundations or basements. They look nice, but do not look like the majority of the newer homes going up in the area. There are no new lots left in this area, as most have been snatched up by builders. I'm guessing they will not allow anymore manufactured homes in this area. But I agree, the city should create an area or annex new land in for a manufactured home neighborhood. There are some manufactured homes that look just like stick built homes.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Just in case you may not have thought of the idea:

Understand the need for affordable housing. Are there lots available in/near Williston? If so, how about a Modular home like:
Centennial Homes -- The Largest Manufactured Home Dealer in the Midwest
They have a plant in Bismarck(based out of Aberdeen,SD), I believe. You would probably need someone to do the masonary work, the landscaping could be done over time. Not trying to sell you on them, there are others around. Also, not sure if there are any pre-cut home company's still around. My first home was a Capp home out
of Minneapolis. They framed it in, I hired someone to do the masonary work, I did the rest. It was the only way I could afford a home at the time, right after getting married. Doing a pre-cut home the rule of thumb was you saved about 1/3 the cost over outright buying one. You got a construction loan and one year to finish it. After that you have to obtain financing on your own.
Not for everyone, I realize as it takes a lot of work and I didn't have little ones yet.
Good luck in finding a home near Williston.
Thanks for the suggestion. We did check this out and unfortunately, Chester is correct...the city lots are taken already therefore leaving only county land to build on (along with many thousands of dollars improving the lot with sewage, plumbing, electrical, etc.).

Old 04-13-2008, 03:14 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Things were fairly reasonable housing wise when I was i nWilliston during the Spring/Summer of 2006 but have obviously gotten more tight and expensive.

I know some of the oil and railroad workers stay in hotels during the week for months at a time, so that aco****s for some of the near full capacity hotels.

I liked Williston because, in the summer the weather, while warm, was never very humid.. there was usually something going on or something for you to do in the area and the people were pretty friendly (except for my nutty co-workers)

Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Things were fairly reasonable housing wise when I was i nWilliston during the Spring/Summer of 2006 but have obviously gotten more tight and expensive.

I know some of the oil and railroad workers stay in hotels during the week for months at a time, so that aco****s for some of the near full capacity hotels.

I liked Williston because, in the summer the weather, while warm, was never very humid.. there was usually something going on or something for you to do in the area and the people were pretty friendly (except for my nutty co-workers)
Yes, I suppose it certainly has gotten worse since then. And it's funny..the rest of the country has absolutely no idea. I personally haven't experienced anything like it...it's about as close to a 'gold rush' as I can imagine. And other than the living situation here, the town itself really is a nice, little town, and folks have been great for the most part.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Default It's official..

Unfortunately, the housing shortage claims another casualty. I've submitted a resignation notice to my employers here in Williston. It's a shame too b/c Williston's a great place to live. I've come to enjoy the folks and 5/10-minute commutes, etc. My only complaint would be more sit down restaurants..as I've posted in another thread. It'll be really interesting to see how this area evolves over the next 3-5 years and beyond...particularly with the recent estimation by the USGS of 4.3 billion barrels of recoverable oil in this area...this boom should certainly last several years.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,548 times
Me and my husband having been staying in a motel for the past 6 months.
Tough time trying to find a place if you have pet even harder. Rentals are
getting pretty expensive. There were some mobile homes they wanted 700 to1,000 not worth the money. 2 bedroom apt 1,000 that is alot of money!!
My husband works for Schlumberger the money isn't that great. Just this
past winter he was only working 1 or 2 days a week. He was told it is usually slow in the winter. Good thing I own my own business or we would of had a tough time making it.
I believe some are hearing about this oil boom and all the money there is to be made and when they finally come here are disappointed. We have only been here 6 months and 5 people have quit and went back home.
We are about there also, will give it a little bit more time and then we will go back home where it cheaper to live and my husband can go back to his old job where he was making more money.
The guy that interviewed my husband for schlumberger made it sound alot
better then it really is,but the benefits are excellent!
If you are planning to move to williston and find a oilfield job do your homework first not all the oilfield jobs pay that well.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
wxdood, you are right( I think) about the rest of the country not knowing about the boom in Williston. where I live construction has slowed, the economy has slowed and people in the trades are scrambling for work. Today is the first I've heard about it. Very interesting. Sorry to hear you had to resign, and also I'm sorry to hear that the oil field jobs turn out to be a bunch of BS for others. That doesn't sound right, why does it slow so much in the winter? the weather conditions? I'm from an area of CA where the temp. is basically the same all year, I don't have a clue about harsh winters. is state unemployment insurance available? excluding the oilfields, are there an abundance of jobs in the construction trades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston