Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post

I have heard bad things about Capp homes, cheap quality, poorly made? I am looking for an affordable home in the Fargo area, any thoughts on Capp? Thanks.
Not true! Quality was better than many homes built during the 70's and 80's. My first home was a Capp home which took me 10 months to complete. The framing material was not pine, but west coast douglas fir, almost like nailing into a hardwood. They are constructed as well as any other homes at the time, maybe better. You did have choices of upgrades, mostly to the interior. At the time, I could have had all OAK hardwood flooring, or carpet/tile with underlayment at no difference in cost(Capp homes bought oak flooring by the train load). My house was about 1/2 and 1/2 hardwood flooring and carpet/tile. Like the previous poster said, you saved about 1/3 on the house doing a lot of the work yourself. But, I have to say, the quality of that portion is going to hinge on how good the do-it-yourselfer is. I followed all the supplied guides to a T. I was very picky. The electrical inspector was very impressed with my wiring. I'm a neat freak! All the oak trim had square/perfect corners. As far as the basic house is concerned, I would be less concerned about that if Capp hired the crew to frame it in. I would look more close at the workmanship as to how well it was finished off.
That would include the siding/roofing on the exterior.
Like I said, if it is a Capp home, I would look more on the quality of the workmanship than on the materials they were using. Also, there was a spin-off of CAPP homes called Martin homes. Very similar in quality/construction.
Martin homes was started by Martin Capp, hence the similarities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Was reading in the Minot paper about a Minot native who owns a development company based out of Atlanta, Ga. They are developing a 240acre residential and industrial park in Williston...and new oil companies are still pursuing places to build and set up shop in Williston. Also read where 2 new hotels, Candlewoods extended stay, and a full service Holiday Inn are going to be built in the spring. Even with the oil prices cut in half, 7 more rigs have moved in, so the number of rigs drilling in ND continues to rise, despite the oil price cuts. Seems like the energy industry will continue to thrive in ND despite the prices.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
If you want some names of Realtors in that area, send me a private email, and I'll send you some names of agencies in that area. There are some housing, but the pickings are slim. Especially if you try outside the Williston area. Stanley is getting their act together with all of the building going. Right now, Minot and toward Williston has more jobs than people and more people than homes. Good Luck. ct

Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,908 times
Please help,

I have just received a job with schlumberger, and all the things I have read about williston are some what negative. And when it comes to the housing market I search on msn.com under the real estate locator and find seventy three houses plus property. But most of the entries here are about no housing. Please help me out with this.

Thanks A Bunch

Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarfreak24 View Post
Please help,

I have just received a job with schlumberger, and all the things I have read about williston are some what negative. And when it comes to the housing market I search on msn.com under the real estate locator and find seventy three houses plus property. But most of the entries here are about no housing. Please help me out with this.

Thanks A Bunch
Well, what bad/negative things have you read about Williston? Nothing on here has been negative, unless you count rising Rent prices and etc...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,908 times
Hey there radiobraodcaster2008,

I do not mean to sound so negative but all i have heard is that there is nothing there and no homes to rent or buy. My family and I are wanting to move there and would like all the help we can get about the area to make the right decision. We have three teenagers that are going to need some thing positive to do, so we would like to make sure we are doing the right thing and making the right move. One other question what type of employment would there be for my wife to do once we get there.

Thank you so much

Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Well, I was in Williston in the Spring and Summer of 2005 doing Morning Drive on Country Thunder Z 96 KYYZ 96.1.. and I was there just before Memorial day to early September.

There were two parades and several downtown/street wide activities going on there... a car show, several area baseball games.....

Theres a few parks in town........ there's usually always something to do somewhere in the Williston area on the weekend.

There are always some Customer Service related jobs.. grocery stores, fast food and etc in Williston, especially when the college students leave.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM

nascarfreak: If you are hoping for rock concerts, clubs, etc... for your teenage daughters, you are moving to the wrong area. If you are looking for school activities, local community theater, after school sports, etc... you are in the right place. Williston has a nice little downtown with a few stores for clothes shopping Vanity, Maurices, etc... Super Wal-mart, and many local mom pop type stores...but no shopping mall. You would need to drive 100 miles to the east (Minot) for that...but it makes for a nice day trip or weekend for the family.
Williston is going through a boom right now, so yes, housing is in short supply. But they are building many new homes and apartments. If I were you, I would work with Schlumberger and ask them to assist you in finding temp housing before you move up there. Williston is actually a very nice town. Here are some links that will help explain Williston to you.
Williston ND - Homepage
This site has other links to Williston on-line sites like Williston wire; williston life, Williams county, RockntheBakkern, etc... also has listing for real estate offices in Williston that could assist you in finding housing such as apartments, rentals, mobile home parks, etc... As a temporary solution for housing, I would check out Sand Creek Estates...it is a mobile home park that is in the process of moving in a few hundred new manufactured homes for purchase or rent... you could rent until you find something more permanent. Good Luck...Williston is not a bad town at all...unless you are coming from a metro area and are expecting it to be like a huge city with all the big city amentities.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 PM

As far as places for your wife to work. I see all the time they are advertising for many of the oil field service companies that are opening up...looking for office assistants, and dispatchers. If she is not interested in that, the hospital is always looking for help, as are schools (teacher assistants)and like Radio Broadcaster suggested...service industry jobs(hotels, eateries, stores, etc..)...but a really good one would be Holland America...Holland America has a cruise line reservation center in Williston, and they keep expanding and are always adding more workers. Check them out.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 31,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarfreak24 View Post
Hey there radiobraodcaster2008,

I do not mean to sound so negative but all i have heard is that there is nothing there and no homes to rent or buy. My family and I are wanting to move there and would like all the help we can get about the area to make the right decision. We have three teenagers that are going to need some thing positive to do, so we would like to make sure we are doing the right thing and making the right move. One other question what type of employment would there be for my wife to do once we get there.

Thank you so much
Sports are really big as far as things to do. I haven't lived here long enough to know much about the youth scene outside of that.

But jobs? Take your pick. Name your job, name your price. There is an incredible labor shortage in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston