Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times

Advertisements

happeemommee...I feel bad for you. I am not sure where FOAD is getting his information at all. First of all...1/3 of all oil workers do not communte from Minot. There are very few oil companies in Minot, let alone that number of workers. The oil fields stretch all the way from Eastern Montana all the way east into North Dakaot. Primarily from the Crosby area down to Bowman and to the east Bottinaeu and south over again to Bowman. Minot is on the very edge of the oil fields...but as of now, there is not one rig drilling in Ward county (Minot). Some workers do live in Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, Jamestown, etc... and commute on a weekly basis, because many of the drillers and floor hands work 10 days on 10 days off...depending on the employer and company. Minot is close enough to the Parshall-Stanley area which at the moment is very busy, but the majority of the oil companies are located in Williston-Dickinson-Sidney areas. A few satellite shops in Minot, and a couple bigger companies. FOAD is apparantly not familiar with the oil industry. There are places to rent between Culbertson, MT and Minot, ND...but you have to get on a list, and be patient. Sand Creek manufactured home park in Williston still has lots of lots open. They will rent starting at $700. (includes lot rent)...apartments do open up, but do fill up again with those who are on the waiting list. Yes, housing is in short supply, but all is not as bleak and negative as FOAD is trying to make you believe. He is a pretty negative poster in my opinion.
If you really want to look at employement and taxable sale numbers for the cities in question, go to the www.nd.gov site. You will see Williston continues to increase the number of workers and jobs, where as Minot is actually down. Airport numbers in Williston sharply increase, where as Minots numbers are down. Williams county (Williston) just surpassed Ward county (Minot) in taxable sales. (meaning more money is spent in Williams on purchases than Ward)...FOAD needs to check his numbers and get his facts straight.

Last edited by Roloff1976; 12-30-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: adding information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM

122 posts, read 573,216 times
Listen to roloff at your peril.

Oh yeah, and remember the storm I told you about last night? Today few are working. Many roads in the Baaken oil field are not able to be distinguished from the ditches. This means they are completely buried and you cannot see if you are still on the road until you hit a hole, ditch or object buried in the snow.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE NORTH DAKOTA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL AND COUNTY SHERIFFS RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND 855 AM CST TUE DEC 30 2008

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE THE NORTH DAKOTA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL AND COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENTS.

NO TRAVEL IS ADVISED FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES. BURLEIGH...DICKEY ...DIVIDE...DUNN...EMMONS...FOSTER...KIDDER...LAMO URE...MCHENRY ...MCKENZIE...MCLEAN...MORTON...MOUNTRAIL...SHERID AN...STUTSMAN ...WARD...WELLS AND WILLIAMS COUNTIES.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM

happeemommee...to answer your question...YES...Minot would still be a good choice. They have lots of apartments, and housing. Minot has a very nice shopping mall, and 4 year university. Lots of jobs in oil, construction, retail, etc... etc... so if you do choose Minot, you would not be homeless. But, DO check ahead, check the town out, check out the availbable housing with local realtors, etc... Williston would be a good 2nd option, they have a 2year college with 4 year degrees via video conf. classroom with other 4 year colleges. Housing IS a problem in Williston, but is getting better with new apartments, houses, etc... being built.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Hi everyone...my husband just got word he may have an interview for a company in Bismarck. Is the housing situtaion as bad there? I know nothing about Bismarck. I've read all the threads I can find on here about Bismarck, but haven't found out much, other than everyone feels it's safe and the schools are good. Which is a great start!! I've never really wanted to live in a big city, but Bismarck sounds really nice.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 21,945 times
Default The Boom is over for ND for year to come

Today in the NY Times. Top story, The BOOM IS OVER IN ND.

That's right the BOOM is over. I worked in Williston,ND druing Sept and Oct. I was told this boom was going to last 10 to 20+ years. Sure lots of you still have your jobs there for now but not for long. I have friends that run the rigs and they say the boom is over many will be layoff very soon.

Anyone on this fourm that keeps telling the to come to ND to work is only out for them selfs. If you come here you will be out work very soon for very long time.

There are going to be lot's fire sales on homes in ND very soon.

One more thing I was told not to post it from someone in HR in williston
End of Feb halliburton is going to have two big layoffs one in the end of Feb 35% of workers will get cut. Then one more big layoff in March 35% more workers cut from Halliburton. They will not be the only ones cut back big time. As you can see this so called boom has come to end for years to come. A $200,000 house will sell soon for $70,000 in williston,ND

Anyone that is thinking about coming here for work are just fools. ND is not like other states onces your out work here your out of work for years, unless you want to work for $6.00 hr if you can find that. Don't be fool looking to hit it big in ND it's not going happen now.

Last edited by dodg55; 01-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: update

Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM

dodg55: so you sure have lots of information and seem to know everything going on in Williston...but kind of think a lot of it is your own histaria and hear say. How does someone who doesn't even live there anymore have the exact numbers from Halliburton? HR??? yeah right...like they would disclose this to you. 150 employees were layed off from Nabors because 9 of 36 rigs are currently down...but that does not mean that in the spring they won't all be operating again if the price of oil goes up to 50-60 dollars a barrel. You do not know what the cost of oil is going to be, and neither does anyone else. So are the developers all pulling out too? There are 3 new hotels, more apartments, and lot of new homes going up in Williston. What is the word on them? Just curious since you seem to know what is happening up there?
also...I was just up there, and Haliburton is building on to their current campus...curious why they would build these new buildings if they are practically shutting down the place???

By the way dodg55...I just checked the New York Times, and their archives, but can only find the article on the oil boom taking place in ND...just curious where exactly this BOOM OVER FOR ND article is located??? I'd like to read it. Are you sure you read this? or did you just hear about it??? Just curious so I can read it for myself????

Last edited by Roloff1976; 01-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: adding question for information from dodg55

Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Default You are so full of hope go work in DC

I bet the last post made tons money now and now owns lots of lots and homes for sale in Williston,nd and only wants to hear the good news on the fourn so he can even make more money and sell you his stuff for lots money. Don't fall for this scam the boom is over in ND and Williston.

Fact is Fact The town of Williston and others in ND are on there way becomeing bust towns. Dont be fooled by the last post. He is out for him self. I worked there and know others in the know. It's it's being to die in ND and Williston.

Don't be a fool the oil boom is over for years it's not coming back soon. Just look at past booms how long it has taken. It's not going to come back. Just like in the last boom in Williston got over built same thing this time Williston is now being over build and will everyone there will pay higher taxes becuase of this over building when the bust come back to Williston.

About all the building going on in Williston. You know as well as I do. This was started when the boom was going on. You just don't stop building at mid point.

Did you know few a few years back Hilliburton was going to close up shop and move out of ND? Don't even think it can't happen still with the building go on. It was started during the boom. If orders come from TX to move out of ND they will pull out if the price of oil does not go back up.

One more thing the price of Oil now is more of the ave price we have been paying for years non The $60 + is not the norm price for oil that is fact. The boom is over like other time in the past.

Last edited by dodg55; 01-22-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodg55 View Post
I bet the last post made tons money now and now owns lots of lots and homes for sale in Williston,nd and only want to here the good on the fourn to he can even make more money and sell you his stuff for lots money.

Fact is Fact The town of Williston and others in ND are on there way becomeing bust towns. Dont be fooled by the last post. He is out for him self I worked there and know other in the know. It's it's being to die in ND.

Don't be fool and more there you will be out of work for years the oil boom is over.
And the only 4 posts you've made have been completely negative with some of the worst grammar and spelling I've seen in a long time.

Williston is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Default You should tell it the way it is.

All I am doing is telling it how it is. I don't want others coming out and end up without jops and don't want them to buy way over price home and lose it when the bust comes. It has happen before in williston,nd and it will happen this time.

Sorry of you will lose your jobs in williston when the bust comes. But don't let others think they are going to make killing there. Not with price of oil the way it is.

Tell me why oil should go up the why it was? Now tell me why was oil so low for years. You see the odds are oil will stay low just like it has been in the past for year and years. Don't be telling others there are jobs there when they are just going end up without job soon.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM

I'm still waiting for the link to the NEW YORK TIMES Top Story about the boom is over in ND. Still can't find it. Yes, oil is down, and companies are being cautious, but because of the number of wells drilled the past few years, and with new wells still being drilled (currently ND has 70 rigs drilling for oil...down from around over 80 a year ago)...there are still wells to be serviced, and new ones to be serviced. One drilling company has temporarily layed off 150 workers out of 700, until the in-active rigs go back on line. But there are still new oil companies moving in and opening up new shops in Williston. I do know people who work at Halliburton, and they said they are not worried about losing their jobs, but they will not be working 70-80 hours a week and getting all the overtime they were the past couple years, but then again, this could change if the price of oil comes up this spring-summer, and the crazey activity resumes...only time will tell dodg55...I am guessing you don't know any better than anyone else...but the boom continues in Williston, and western ND...maybe at a slower pace...in the meantime, the signs HIRING are still up on many businesses...I guess those checking it out will need to check for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston