Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM

57 posts, read 162,701 times

Advertisements

hopefully not ugly ! ! !

Because of the wonderful info I have received here and a trip in November, 2009, we have been planning a move to Wisconsin for almost a year now. When my husband was laid off in May, the thought than became the reality. We had been looking at Clintonville, Oshkosh, Appleton, but are now looking at Green Bay, as my husband just landed a job in Green Bay.

My husband's old job ate into our "savings" to be able to buy a home outright but renting is literally out of the question as we have 2 dogs and most people who rent homes want an arm/leg because of the dogs.

We do have a great realtor who is based in Clintonville and he has just recently shown us several HUD houses in Green Bay which were awesome. However, we need to find my husband a place for 6 months in / near Green Bay until me and the kids/dogs can pack up the house and move before November; so the lease would only be about 6 months; unless we can find a place right off the bat to rent that will hold the family.

1am and I am rambling ...

So ~ You have helped me in the past and I am turning to my new "neighbors" for help once again ... the good, bad, and ugly of Green Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Um, well, Green Bay isn't the most cosmopolitan of places. Seems to me people either love Green Bay or hates it. As for me, I don't find anything particularly awful about Green Bay; it's just not my kind of place. It's just kind of.... there. If I had to move to the area I'd look at Appleton or the Door County area myself.

Here's some Green Bay discussions that have taken place in this forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...green-bay.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...bay-month.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...-downtown.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...ike-green.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...cons-home.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...-appleton.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...od-advice.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...green-bay.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...bay-where.html

Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM

365 posts, read 775,933 times
Demographically speaking, Green Bay and Appleton are quite similar with Green Bay being slightly more ethnically diverse.

Green Bay: White Non-Hispanic (83.2%), Hispanic (7.1%), American Indian (4.1%), Other race (3.7%), Other Asian (3.2%), Two or more races (2.0%), Black (1.4%).

Appleton: White Non-Hispanic (90.2%), Other Asian (3.8%), Hispanic (2.5%),Two or more races (1.3%), Other race (1.0%), Black (1.0%), American Indian (1.0%).

The Appleton suburb of Grand Chute has a larger mall than the mall in the Green Bay Suburb of Ashwaubenon.

Appleton has a downtown performing arts center which attracts Broadway musicals where as Green Bay's performing arts center on the UWGB campus no longer has Broadway touring musicals but does have other entertainment. Green Bay also has a second theater venue downtown called the Meyer which has performances as well. Green Bay has the Resch Center which brings in country and rock acts.

For sports the Resch Center also hosts many sporting events. Gamblers hockey, UWGB basketball (mid-major division one) and will be hosting an NCAA division 1 hockey regional in 2011 and 2012. Green Bay of course has the Packers and the Lambeau Field Atrium is used as a year round venue for events. Green Bay has the Bullfrogs, a Northwood’s League baseball team. Appleton has the Timber Rattlers which is a minor league baseball team and Appleton also has Roller Derby team.

Educationally Green Bay has the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Bellin College of Nursing, and St. Norbert College in suburban De Pere. Appleton has Lawrence University, Fox Valley Technical College, and a two year UW extension in suburban Menasha.

Both cities have many good locally owned restaurants from fine dining, to chop houses, to ethnic restaurants, and of course many of the national chains.

Both cities for the most part are well kept. Unless you’re looking for a job that would put your work in Appleton it wouldn't make much sense to live there and do the commute. The two cities are nice and are really not that much different from each other.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,542,691 times
My niece is just moving out of a duplex rental that allows two pets in Green Bay. Something like that might work for you guys.

Congrats on your husband getting a job! My husband also just started working in WI and we are officially moving there next month.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
"Appleton suburb?"

Heh.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Appleton suburb?"

Heh.
Menasha would be considered a suburb of Appleton. I know that the cluster of smaller cities around Appleton are also referred to as the Fox Cities.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,851,239 times
I would take a pass on GB and look at either the small towns just outside, DePere or Ashwaubenon, or head just slightly south to Appleton.

There are apartment complexes that allow dogs up to a certain weight. The websites usually provide that information.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I would take a pass on GB and look at either the small towns just outside, DePere or Ashwaubenon, or head just slightly south to Appleton.

There are apartment complexes that allow dogs up to a certain weight. The websites usually provide that information.
De Pere is super, I grew up there. There are some very nice neighborhoods in Green Bay as well.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 PM

57 posts, read 162,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
.....There are apartment complexes that allow dogs up to a certain weight. The websites usually provide that information.
Which websites would provide this type of information ? ! ?
Where I have looked so far has been like Craigslist and there is always a substantial charge to have pets. We have two border collie mixes, with one only being 26 weeks old, so we will have no clue as to his eventual size.

I have heard really good things about UofW, but right now my concern is elementary and up.

Thanks for the info so far and keep it coming.

** Thanks Drover for the links to past conversations. I am still trying to figure out how to work the website and your help is much appreciated.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:03 AM

425 posts, read 1,949,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemom View Post
Which websites would provide this type of information ? ! ?
Where I have looked so far has been like Craigslist and there is always a substantial charge to have pets. We have two border collie mixes, with one only being 26 weeks old, so we will have no clue as to his eventual size.

I have heard really good things about UofW, but right now my concern is elementary and up.

Thanks for the info so far and keep it coming.

** Thanks Drover for the links to past conversations. I am still trying to figure out how to work the website and your help is much appreciated.
Sites like rent.com. The apartment listings there will usually list what amenities they have, if they allow pets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin