U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: AZ
4,984 posts, read 5,995,220 times
Reputation: 6501
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
In this context, yes progressive is synonymous with liberal.
Thx, junior... figured there was a political attachment

Last edited by 43north87west; 08-19-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,591,782 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
You are confusing conceal carry with just owning a firearm in your home. As far as I know, there is no jurisdiction in this country that claims the right to approve or deny a firearm in your home. At least as of today, the second amendment still stands.
Here's a good summary of the situation re: concealed carry in the US:

Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cited the 22:1 ratio of gun deaths in the home v stopping crime by said guns, because once a concealed-carry gun owner comes home, and takes his/her weapon from his/her person, it then becomes a gun in a home, apt, etc.

Having Joe and Jane citizen walking around with heat is most cops' nightmare. Here is a good summation of that. Note the opposition to allowing carry (concealed) by retired law enforcement personnel, muchless the untrained general public:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3QzJwVcSQtIJ:www.officer.com/print/Law-Enforcement-Technology/The-confusion-with-concealed-carry/1%2452981+international+chiefs+of+police+are+again st+concealed+carry&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (broken link)


"The Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) is one of the organizations that has voiced its concern via an official document or letter to the court and law makers. An example of the letter PERF provided its members as a template to challenge local efforts to pass the original bill in 2003, PERF suggests:
"This measure ... would endanger the lives of active police officers, retired officers and citizens. More guns, even in the hands of off-duty officers, retired officers and law-abiding citizens, does not translate into less crime and violence."

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-20-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
 
48 posts, read 67,874 times
Reputation: 57
I think that given national trends, a concealed weapons law is likely to pass. My question is this: would a may-issue law be more appropriate? One which allows municipalities to determine whether to issue permits. This would keep more in line with the idea of letting local governments decide what is best for their communities and not be as much of a jump from being a no-issue state. Wondering what others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 AM
 
Location: My own piece of land and happiness
14,821 posts, read 6,169,691 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
Wouldn't you first need to know if people agree with the law before asking when the law will pass?

1 county AG has already stated that he will not enforce unconstitutional gun laws in Wisconsin.

Text of Gerald Fox’s Statement Voiding Jackson County WI Gun Laws |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,591,782 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
1 county AG has already stated that he will not enforce unconstitutional gun laws in Wisconsin.

Text of Gerald Fox’s Statement Voiding Jackson County WI Gun Laws |
There is no such thing as a "county AG", they are DA's.

They are of differing quality: Does the name 'Joe Paulus' ring a bell?

And fortunately the gunaholics are not in great numbers up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,591,782 times
Reputation: 766
Jackson County Chronicle - News (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VIXeBA7wOTMJ:www.jacksoncountychron icle.com/articles/2010/07/07/news/00lead.txt+jackson+co+wisconsin+da+fox+up+for+reel ection&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)


"However, Black River Falls Police Chief Don Gilberg and Jackson County Sheriff Duane Waldera said they will continue to enforce state law. Gilberg even said Fox’s decision would circumvent order.

“Ten minutes after publication of the district attorney’s decision, every wannabe Wyatt Earp in this county will strap on their hog leg and strut about town — not because they need to protect themselves but simply because they now feel they can,” Gilberg said."

Can you say 'pander' boys and girls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
 
Location: My own piece of land and happiness
14,821 posts, read 6,169,691 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
There is no such thing as a "county AG", they are DA's.

They are of differing quality: Does the name 'Joe Paulus' ring a bell?

And fortunately the gunaholics are not in great numbers up here.

sorry, county da then, meant to mean the da but mind was on something else at the time as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Location: My own piece of land and happiness
14,821 posts, read 6,169,691 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Jackson County Chronicle - News (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VIXeBA7wOTMJ:www.jacksoncountychron icle.com/articles/2010/07/07/news/00lead.txt+jackson+co+wisconsin+da+fox+up+for+reel ection&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)


"However, Black River Falls Police Chief Don Gilberg and Jackson County Sheriff Duane Waldera said they will continue to enforce state law. Gilberg even said Fox’s decision would circumvent order.

“Ten minutes after publication of the district attorney’s decision, every wannabe Wyatt Earp in this county will strap on their hog leg and strut about town — not because they need to protect themselves but simply because they now feel they can,” Gilberg said."

Can you say 'pander' boys and girls?

actually, it was already legal for anyone to strap on their "hogleg" as you put it as the state of Wisconsin alredy had open carry and it was and still is legal.

just because the police chief and sheriff say they will enforce state law, it is apparent that they do not enforce the supreme law of the land, otherwise known as the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
 
778 posts, read 969,323 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
actually, it was already legal for anyone to strap on their "hogleg" as you put it as the state of Wisconsin alredy had open carry and it was and still is legal.

just because the police chief and sheriff say they will enforce state law, it is apparent that they do not enforce the supreme law of the land, otherwise known as the Constitution.
Wisconsin doesn't actually have an open carry statute. It simply doesn't prohibit open carry.

However legal it is, I've heard of quite a few local police departments who ignore the fact and make arrests anyway. Here is one case I've followed from the beginning. Of course, he won, but at great personal expense.

Shall carry, in my opinion, is the only acceptable wording for a CCW law.

Man sues West Allis over gun open-carry arrest - JSOnline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,591,782 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
actually, it was already legal for anyone to strap on their "hogleg" as you put it as the state of Wisconsin alredy had open carry and it was and still is legal.

just because the police chief and sheriff say they will enforce state law, it is apparent that they do not enforce the supreme law of the land, otherwise known as the Constitution.
You do know how this 'Constitution' thing works, I assume?

One case by the Supreme Court which runs contrary to 100 years of case law is not the end of the matter.

And I did not use the term 'hogleg'. One of the Jackson Co. Law Officers who are going to be dealing with the effects of what a yahoo DA said used the term.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-24-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top