U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,691,992 times
Reputation: 745

Advertisements

Looks like these tree hugging judges need to look at de-listing again.

2010 Current Dog Depredations by Wolves in Wisconsin - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/dogdepred.htm#table - broken link)

Go to site and look at whole page lethal trapping in area's now.

 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
146 posts, read 341,301 times
Reputation: 113
I for one am happy to see their numbers growing. They were natural to the area before humans drove them out and now we need to learn how to live with them.
 
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,691,992 times
Reputation: 745
Wolves are growing fast, but when attacking animals and livestock and not able to defend your animals or property from them I do not like. With no natural predator but man and man not allowed to hunt even on a limited permit,for killing cattle and such they have no fear and dogs are easy prey, we will see them getting closer and closer to humans. We had to do a search for a missing person 2 years ago with wolves (radio collared) on property next 80 over DNR was keeping close tabs on as they had no fear of humans either and would been put down if in our search area.
Elk reintroduction is nice wish that population grow a bit faster. Of course the wolves, coyotes,bear and car kills help slow this process but still more live than die each year.
Now the cougar coming back is pretty awesome in my eyes though some were hand raised and escaped I like the fact they are back.
Fischer another animal reintroduced to help keep down protected porcupine numbers but see quite a bit of both and bird numbers down except for turkeys.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,016,590 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Wolves are growing fast, but when attacking animals and livestock and not able to defend your animals or property from them I do not like. Now the cougar coming back is pretty awesome in my eyes though some were hand raised and escaped I like the fact they are back.
.

Not true re: Wolves.

State has a repayment program for those who can prove they suffered loss of livestock due to wolf predation.

The cougars we have (one was seen about 30 miles from here) are mostly juvie males from the Black Hills looking to establish home range in good environment, and we have lots of good environment for them.
 
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Florida
741 posts, read 1,388,283 times
Reputation: 1168
This is totally insane. There are more people than ever, and yet you expect these Wolves, Bears and Cougers to all live happily to gether.
What kind of logic are you using?

Here in Florida we are having a problem with Coyotes. They will break thru a screen to get at dogs. They eat dogs and cats. When it is a child there will be an outrage. We should not have to deal with this.

But then the UN has it all figured out. Humans are to be corraled into cities. They animals will have their freedom, but humans will be prisoners.
 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,691,992 times
Reputation: 745
DNR looking for photos of the cougars now.I personally never seen a wild one but a few around claim to see or hear them. Supposedly 3 in Rusk county on east side and 2 they said were captive at 1 point.

I remember ears back DNR claiming wolves not in my area where I lived. Old neighbor proved it when they got brave and came in barn for calves. Dead wolf to prove it and they still told public no wolves.

Coyotes and wolves do not usually stay in same area, but coyote hunting is big here and some say bounty possible again on them.
 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,691,992 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Not true re: Wolves.

State has a repayment program for those who can prove they suffered loss of livestock due to wolf predation.

The cougars we have (one was seen about 30 miles from here) are mostly juvie males from the Black Hills looking to establish home range in good environment, and we have lots of good environment for them.

DNR pays back yes, for dogs and cattle report of payouts in link also.
Before some tree hugging judge from another state got involved could get permits to kill if depredatation occured. I seen a few on our land but last was 2 years ago and only 1 when was 3. Think lead poisoning may been factor there by someone.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
146 posts, read 341,301 times
Reputation: 113
You people are so wrong. Wolves are natural to WI and should be allowed to roam freely around the state. Killing animals to eat them is their natural instinct and they can't help it. Are we supposed to shoot them because they are doing what is natural to them? You people sound like you want wolves to vanish in this state again after they have made a good comeback. So your dog got killed by a wolf? You shoulda kept a better eye on your dog then. So a wolf killed a cow? So what its not like cows are endangered.


None of you should be allowed to call yourselves an outdoorsman/woman.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,016,590 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
You people are so wrong. Wolves are natural to WI and should be allowed to roam freely around the state. Killing animals to eat them is their natural instinct and they can't help it. Are we supposed to shoot them because they are doing what is natural to them? You people sound like you want wolves to vanish in this state again after they have made a good comeback. So your dog got killed by a wolf? You shoulda kept a better eye on your dog then. So a wolf killed a cow? So what its not like cows are endangered.


None of you should be allowed to call yourselves an outdoorsman/woman.
People are like any other animals; they see a member of another predator species take down game which they themselves hunt, and it stirs primal feelings.

Truth is predators- bear, wolf, now cougars- have a minimal impact on a healthy deer population, and in fact make it more viable.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,016,590 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
DNR pays back yes, for dogs and cattle report of payouts in link also.
Before some tree hugging judge from another state got involved could get permits to kill if depredatation occured. I seen a few on our land but last was 2 years ago and only 1 when was 3. Think lead poisoning may been factor there by someone.
I live in wolf country (2 packs have territory in this part of the county).

I've only seen wolves once in my 10 years here, but in the swamps the tracks and scat are in evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top