Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 21,140 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

I am moving up to Manitowoc from Florida with my DH and three boys ages 12, 10, and 7. I was planning on moving in January for a number of reasons:
1: Most winter rentals open up around that time when people flee to warmer states.
2: its halfway through the school year so the kids would not be behind in a term.
I wondered if the rentals are more abundent and cheaper in the heavy winter months up there? Also is a certain part of Manitowoc better then others? Do you need deposits to turn on your utilities? Should I try to stay clear of any of the elementary/middle schools in particular? Also if anyone is from manitowoc maybe you could PM me so I could ask you a few more questions.

Now if you wonder why I am moving its because I want to raise my kids in a safer environment where they can be kids still. We had a high speed car chase rip up my front lawn the other day, A gang of kids in my sons school are molesting other students in the gym locker room, and I am paying $750 + $500 or so a month utilities to deal with this. To put my son in little league is $149, swim lessons $90, and music isn't even offered in school anymore. I see that things are so much cheaper up there and I would be able to let my kids take sports and music and just... be kids.

People often say how hard it is to make friends up there and thats ok with me. I don't have friends down here either and if I join a church and some groups I am sure I can have the same level of social life I have here... none. But your state is beautiful and I look forward to starting over up there. Someone should post some Manitowoc pictures in the pictures thread... would make me happY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM

298 posts, read 704,413 times
I honestly wouldn't wait until Jan. to move as that is usually our coldest winter month and there can be a lot of snow. That would make moving furniture and other belongings a miserable job. Kids will adjust whenever they arrive here. There are really no "bad" parts of Manitowoc or "bad" schools and finding a rental shouldn't be difficult. We really don't all head south for the winter but are here year round. Some take winter vacations and some retired folks do winter in warmer places but there certainly is no mass exodus out of Wisconsin just because it's winter.

If you are friendly and join in activities you enjoy you'll not have difficulty making friends here. I just hope you have jobs lines up as unemployment is high.

Good luck with the move. It really is safe and quite lovely here on the shores of Lake Michigan.:

Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,140 times
Thanks for the advice but I have to wait till after the holidays to move. Have to wrap up a couple doctors appointments and such. Whats the best way to find a rental? Newspaper? Driving around? Also is there a hotel that rents by the week so we can stay while looking for a rental? And what about utility deposits... are they high? Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 10:50 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Previous responder is right, I think you may be underestimating how frigid WI can get. That's about the coldest time of year too. Moving's hard enough. I'm in the middle of it as I type this. Moving boxes around, some kind of weighty... and then add the idea of moving in cold weather, having to deal with the lake air biting my cheeks, a bulky winter jacket/scarf/whatnot getting in my way, and trying to keep hands warm on top of that? No thank you. lol Any way you can wait until next summer, after your kids are out of school? I mean culture shock is enough, but then moving in the middle of the school year on top of that? Plus, it may seem like a while to wait until next June or so, but it creeps up fast. Especially if you're planning a move during that time. It'll be here before you know it. I'd look up Manitowoc's local online newspaper website for rentals. Just type "manitowoc wisconsin newspaper" in search and you should come up with the website for their daily newspaper. That should have some listed.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Forbes: The Best Small Cities to Raise a Family

#2 Manitowoc, WI

#14 Fond du Lac, WI

#6 Stevens Point, WI

#5 Marshfield, WI

The Best Small Cities To Raise A Family - Forbes.com

Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 PM

12 posts, read 30,286 times
Default I just joined the boards and.........

Here's my take on this, Manitowoc is a nice place but the winters are long. If you can handle cold weather you will like it alot. I loved the winter when I was a kid but now that I am older I don't care for it as much. I just don't like winter activities. That is partially my fault though. People here usually stay inside and hibernate in winter time. This year I joined a gym, I figure if I exercise more I will stay warmer lol and I'll still be in shape for the summer softball season!

I recently got the itch to move to a warmer state but after looking at the cost of houses in those states I think we will just stay here and I will deal with it. My wife and family are what matters the most. As far as employment here, it is slow yes but places will be hiring for the holiday season and shortly after etc. In my opinion, the cost to own a house here is very reasonable. We bought our 4 bedroom 1 bath 1200 sq ft house about 3 years ago for $75,000. It had a new roof, new vinyl siding, new vinyl windows, central air, new heater, new furnace. Now keep in mind the square footage DOES NOT include the basement. by the way, there's a fireplace in our basement.

I could type more but don't wanna flood the boards lol pm me if you want to know anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin