Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 AM

57 posts, read 163,318 times

Advertisements

In July, my husband obtained employment in Green Bay. We are from Michigan and we did not have our home ready to move with him, so we located a 1-bedroom apartment. We informed the Manager of the apartment that we would need a 2-bedroom no later than November so that the rest of the family could move up to Green Bay. They informed us that there would most definitely be 2-bedroom rentals coming up and they would let us know when one became available.

As of mid-September, Management had not contacted my husband about a 2-bedroom, so I called and inquired. They let us know that a 2-bedroom was to become available as of September 30 and we could take occupancy on October 1. I asked how they could have the apartment ready so quickly and they assured us it would be “ready". On October 1, my husband received the keys after 5:00 pm, went to the apartment, and found that the apartment was not, in fact, ready for our family. My youngest has severe asthma and there was a very strong odor from the kitchen that became even more unacceptable after my husband opened the cupboard doors; in which he found several boxes of baking soda. Not to mention the holes in the walls, the windows that weren't closing, the front door that would not open or close, etc. He gave them back their keys the next day and was contacted by Management as to what the problems were. When he informed the Manager about the smells, she indicated that she had been in the apartment and had removed the baking soda, but did not smell any odor. She never mentioned the walls, windows or doors. My husband received his money back (eventually) and stayed in the 1-bedroom. At the time that he returned the 2-bedroom keys, he was informed by the Head Manager that there would NOT be another 2-bedroom available until January/February, most probably February. So I started looking for another place to rent, as we needed to be out of our current home no later than mid-November.

From October 2 to October 22, we had NOT been contacted by the Apartment Management about any 2-bedroom rentals. On Saturday the 23rd, we signed a lease for a 2-bedroom home, as we needed a place to live. I contacted Management today that my husband would be vacating the property as of October 29th and they informed us that we would be responsible for the rest of the Lease, as they just had a 2-bedroom become available as of “late last week”. The person who was going to take the 2-bedroom changed their mind and it is now available. I informed Management that my husband was not made aware that a 2-bedroom had become available, that we had to find living quarters for our family to live in, and that he would be moving out on the 29th.

I will be e-mailing Management tomorrow, so that they will have it in writing that my husband will no longer be a tenant there. But I was wondering if we would be responsible for the remainder of the Lease. They knew full well we would need a 2-bedroom apartment come November 1st and that the 2-bedroom we were supposed to occupy was not a healthy environment for my son.

Also, does anyone know of an attorney who deals with Tenant issues, such as this?

I have been checking out these websites:
http://datcp.state.wi.us/cp/consumer...ts/tenants.jsp
http://blog.laborlawtalk.com/2008/01...-in-wisconsin/
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/...curity-deposit
http://www.forum.freeadvice.com
http://wis-law.com/tenant.html

But if you know of any other place I can find information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM

152 posts, read 357,206 times
As a landlords view from wi, ( I am NOT a lawyer, nor am trying to portray one).

If you signed a lease (year lease) or month to month lease, you need to abid by lease terms or give the # of days required in the month to month lease to vacate.

what kind of lease did you sign and did it state about upgrading to 2 bedroom unit???

there is a great resource that you can get from your local court house called the Wisconsin way. Its a guide to landlord tenant issues.

Hope i could help.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM

57 posts, read 163,318 times
We signed a year lease for the 1-bedroom, but unfortunately there is nothing stated about upgrading to a 2-bedroom. However, my husband and I did sign a 1 year lease for a 2-bedroom, until we inspected the apartment to find it unlivable for our family. That is when my husband stayed in the 1-bedroom.

I will be in town in a few days, so I will be heading to the courthouse to pick up the resource and Thank You.

I think we might look at getting a lawyer, just in case. Know of any ? ? ?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM

70 posts, read 217,374 times
I handled a handful of lease problems (YES, more than one) with tenant resources.

It may be more geared to Madison-ish area, however they helped me a great deal & I live in Central Wisconsin.. SmallTown, USA.

If I were you, I'd google tenant resources of Wisconsin. They have TONS & TONS of tips, most importantly if you e-mail them, they get back to you promptly with legal advice FOR FREE!

I can't tell you how many ridiculous charges, lease problems I have gotten out of with their help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: