U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking at a job opportunity in Neenah, wi. For various reasons, I would like to be within fairly easy striking distance of Green Bay -- I am currently in Chicago and used to some fairly lengthy commutes.

Little Chute seems to be a fairly good location, geographically, but there has been very little on the forums about quality of life - schools (I have kids in 1st and 3rd grade), restaurants, shopping, civic events, etc.

Little Chute seems to be close enough to Appleton to take advantage of it's retail/shopping, is that the case.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM

70 posts, read 170,026 times
Sure, I think you would enjoy it.

It will be quite the difference compaired to Chicago life, but seeing as how you have some younger kids, this would be perfect for you. If I had a family, I would definitely see myself settled down in the fox valley area. I lived in Appleton / Menasha area for quite some time - and I did enjoy how close I was to the Appleton mall - or GB for the Packer games.. You really aren't going to have a lengthy commute no matter how you cut it.

For what you need, I feel this would be a good choice for you. Any of the areas really. Little Chute... NEENAH itself, I have a lot of friends that lived there, Menasha (where I lived numerous times) or Appleton in general has some nice little areas to live.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Hi Nikki26 - we actually live in a far-flung suburb surrounded by cows. My town was where they filmed "Groundhog Days", so we prefer the nice little town, as long as we can get to some shopping and the schools are good.

My concerns with Neenah would be the drive to GB - any idea how long that takes, and what I have rad in other threads about the smell from mills. Any comments on that?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 21,699 times
I don't believe there are any traffic jams going that way so doing a google maps driving directions will tell you how long it takes, probably around 30 mins to Green bay from little chute. To me, neenah, little chute, they are seem like they're part of Appleton.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromillinois View Post
Hi Nikki26 - we actually live in a far-flung suburb surrounded by cows. My town was where they filmed "Groundhog Days", so we prefer the nice little town, as long as we can get to some shopping and the schools are good.

My concerns with Neenah would be the drive to GB - any idea how long that takes, and what I have rad in other threads about the smell from mills. Any comments on that?

Thanks for the reply!
Haha nice! You will enjoy the area then.

Well, the main drag from Neenah to GB is US41 N. Straight shot, a 33 mile drive. So you can expect it right around there - not really to bad *in my opinion*

The mills! I CURRENTLY live in another Wis town that is surrounded by paper mills and it's not an issue. I actually like it! My mother, father, step father, and grandparents all worked in the papermills. The smell definitely follows them home. It's something I have grown up with so to me - I am used to it. You will get used to it too! Trust me, it's not that bad. If it was, no one would be living in those towns

Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Also... touching on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatplaceFonddulac View Post
I don't believe there are any traffic jams going that way so doing a google maps driving directions will tell you how long it takes, probably around 30 mins to Green bay from little chute. To me, neenah, little chute, they are seem like they're part of Appleton.

You will never ever ever ever everrrrrr have a problem with traffic. I am dead serious. I have lived in those areas on many different occasions throughout my life actually & not once has it been bad.. BUT.... (there is always a but...)

You better add PLENTY of extra time to your day if you plan on heading to Green Bay on a day there is a packer game. So help me God, that is the worst day to be in green bay. You can add an extra hour to 2 hours of drive time. *sigh*

Old 11-19-2010, 04:40 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the job is going to be out of Pewaukee, and I can live anywhere in SE Wisconsin. I'll probably be posting in the other forums to get information, but I wanted to thank you for the information you provided about the Little Chute area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or