Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,353 times

Advertisements

I am coming up north this weekend and around New Year's. Last January, it was -17F in northern Rusk county. I dig when the river freezes over and you can walk down it. You can only do this when there has been below freezing temps for a loooong time.
I bought long underwear for the occasion and can't wait to wear them! Long down coat and thick boots and being outside is a story all its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
15 days a 1/2 inch snow on ground and 32 F temps be great. I love winter just hate heat bills. Farmers saying extra snowfall this year so may be a old fashioned winter! But extra snow insulates and toss around house helps keep heat lower. Ice fishing is fun at times if get a lake where fish are hitting and good sized and fish through the ice taste the best. I know many who love skiing, snow shoeing, sledding snowmobiling and they all want that snow. Could be worse have the deep snow of the UP or Canada. At least in winter can add clothes as in summer you can only take so much off.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
Central Wisconsin winters are great! All part of the 4 seasons. I have much more fun outdoors in Wisconsin in the winter than I do in Arizona in the summer. It's still 90 degrees here in Phoenix.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 465,320 times
I feel the same about the winters as Nikki. Never go out in the winter unless I have to. Wish I was a little older and could retire to the south for the winters. But, I love my WI summers. And why is it the winters seem to be so much worse the older you get.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM

425 posts, read 1,955,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Central Wisconsin winters are great! All part of the 4 seasons. I have much more fun outdoors in Wisconsin in the winter than I do in Arizona in the summer. It's still 90 degrees here in Phoenix.
Los Angeles was in the 90's last week and now it's going back down to the upper 60's/low 70's this week. I wish it would make up it's mind already!

And I think I'm going to freeze to death when I go visit my parents in SE Wisconsin over Christmas.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Plus, we have reliable sources of water.

Which is kind-of a necessity.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,377 times
It's all about attitude You can live somewhere that has one season most all year long...HOT and Green, or accept that in order to have three wonderful season's... spring, summer, fall, you have to have winter too. I wouldn't want to trade the seasonal changes and colors for the same thing year round. I lived in that hot, green place the first 21 years of my life, then experienced what I have today, Wisconsin. I can always take a vacation to escape the winter if need be, but then I still get the joy of the rest of the year living in the midwest. Then again, I'm at a point of my life now where I only have to go outside in the winter to get errands done, or shovel the snow off the sidewalk and driveway. Then I can spend the rest of the day in the toasty warmth of my home & watch the snow fall. If travel is going to be messy, I don't have to go anywhere. Retirement can be a good thing
I think those who live winters are tougher all the way around, so you'll be better for it. Have I convinced you yet???

Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
I have a lot of fun outside during the winter at our place in the country in Wisconsin. Plowing snow with the tractor, ATVing, sledding, walking through the woods, messing around on the ice at the river, making snow forts/tunnels, etc.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I'm convinced but not having to work, just watching the snow fall is awesome! I'm a four season person I would never live in a warm climate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin