Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM

18 posts, read 109,679 times

Advertisements

When I was in Madison, I noticed something strange...there was also a Town of Madison. After doing some more research, I noticed that other cities in Wisconsin have a smaller town within them bearing the same name. What's up with that? I've yet to see that in Michigan. I know there are three places with the Lansing name, where I live...City of Lansing, City of East Lansing, and Lansing Township.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 37,796 times
Default Towns are townships

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtowisconsin View Post
When I was in Madison, I noticed something strange...there was also a Town of Madison. After doing some more research, I noticed that other cities in Wisconsin have a smaller town within them bearing the same name. What's up with that? I've yet to see that in Michigan. I know there are three places with the Lansing name, where I live...City of Lansing, City of East Lansing, and Lansing Township.
Towns in MT are townships (not towns/cities/communities). Historically some regions (townships) took on the name of their only community. A town or township is a section (640 sq. acres), whereas a town/city/community may span any number of acres or square miles. Madison, Albany, many others in WI probably are names of both communities (villages, cities) and towns (townships). Regarding Lansing and East Lansing--that's no unusual. Various places in the country have City X and East City X or West City X or whatever.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 68,948 times
Does anybody know any other cities/towns with the same name? Or maybe any of them from different countries? (For example Saint Petersburg:there is one in Russia and one-somewhere in America) If anybody has information about it, e-mail me please or write the answer here.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
www.city-data.com with it's search feature can be a great help here.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 PM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
i know there is a berlin, wi and of course berlin, germany....also in the state of WI berlin & new berlin...all I can think of right now

Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I know Dublin, Warsaw and maybe few others. Great topic to start in "World" forum by the way.
Let's stay in Wisconsin in this thread.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Fairly well-known North American cities that have common names with other (mostly European) cities:

Paris Texas (Paris France)
Moscow Idaho (Moscow Russia)
Dublin Ohio (Dublin Ireland)
London Ontario (London UK)
San Jose California (San Jose Costa Rica)
Panama City Florida (Panama City Panama)
Birmingham Alabama (Birmingham UK)
York Pennsylvania (York UK)
Bristol Tennessee (Bristol UK)
Manchester New Hampshire (Manchester UK)
Cambridge Massachusetts (Cambridge UK)
Rome New York (Rome Italy)

Old 02-17-2007, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 60,078 times
Verona, WI and Verona, Italy

I think a lot of the cities with a New in it are often named after European cities

Last edited by homemakergirl; 02-17-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 68,948 times
Default cities and towns with the sane name

Oh! thank you all for answering to my question! It all was really useful.I was writing a repert about towns, so I needed lots of information. And you helped me a lot.
And I was really glad to get these Answers.
Well, I'll be back.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 31,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
i know there is a berlin, wi and of course berlin, germany....also in the state of WI berlin & new berlin...all I can think of right now
From what MapQuest is saying, there is two Berlins in Ohio. Also, there is supposed to be two Mount Sterlings in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin