U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM

15 posts, read 54,955 times

Advertisements

My husband is in your area and is looking to relocate us there.
He seems torn between Oconomowoc and Muskego but from the data on the internet they seem very much the same.
Anyone know any ups or downs to either?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 68,367 times
Oconomowoc and Muskego are both suburbs of Milwaukee. Ocon is a far western suburb, pretty much Milwaukees western most suburb, while Muskego is a Southwest suburb. While Muskego is a bit closer into the city, it tends to be a bit quieter and off the beaten path than does Ocon. Muskego has become very developed in the Northern half over the last 5-10 years, while the Southern half, esp. the Southwest portion, is quite less developed and even rural in areas still. Schools are very good, and while there are no major shopping centers in Muskego, all your everyday needs can be had there and you are not too far from either Southridge or Brookfield Square malls. Muskego is approx. 20-30 min from downtown Milwaukee and also from most of the rest of the metro area as well. Muskego tends to be a bit pricey, but is very nice and pretty much upper middle class throughout. Overall a bedroom community compared to surrounding suburbs, but slowly changing. Muskego is also more spread out area wise.

Oconomowoc, while further out (30 miles due west of downtown and 30-45min), is growing faster and is more built up. Parts of it even have a semi-urban feel to them, but overall very suburban. It is also right on I-94, a very busy link from Chicago to Madison and Minneapolis. Schools are also very good here and shopping and dining are more plentiful. There is also a 1 million plus shopping center going in here, though ground has not yet been broken. This will be comparable in size or even larger than all other metro Milwaukee area malls. Ocon is a bit more middle class than Muskego, but there are some pricey areas here too. Ocon is part of what is called the Lake Country area, which stretches from Ocon to Pewaukee and is imo one of the nicest parts of the metro area and most scenic. Ocon is also only a half hour from Madison, which is the capital and also a very beautiful city of about 225,000. Just east of the half way point between Milw and Madison.

Both suburbs are in Waukesha County, one of the most desirable counties in the state of Wisconsin and also one of the most affluent. While I would not describe both communities as being the same, both are very nice and you would not go wrong with either. I would prob choose Ocon, but I prefer more built up areas and action.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM

396 posts, read 1,574,486 times
Boomper,
Great description. I would choose Oconomowoc too. It is a bit closer to shopping and all of Lake Country. Of couse I do not know Muskego well at all. Oconomowoc also has a nice newcomers group with play groups and other activities. Oconomowoc Newcomers Club The lakes are beautiful and the town cute.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomper View Post
Oconomowoc and Muskego are both suburbs of Milwaukee. Ocon is a far western suburb, pretty much Milwaukees western most suburb, while Muskego is a Southwest suburb. While Muskego is a bit closer into the city, it tends to be a bit quieter and off the beaten path than does Ocon. Muskego has become very developed in the Northern half over the last 5-10 years, while the Southern half, esp. the Southwest portion, is quite less developed and even rural in areas still. Schools are very good, and while there are no major shopping centers in Muskego, all your everyday needs can be had there and you are not too far from either Southridge or Brookfield Square malls. Muskego is approx. 20-30 min from downtown Milwaukee and also from most of the rest of the metro area as well. Muskego tends to be a bit pricey, but is very nice and pretty much upper middle class throughout. Overall a bedroom community compared to surrounding suburbs, but slowly changing. Muskego is also more spread out area wise.

Oconomowoc, while further out (30 miles due west of downtown and 30-45min), is growing faster and is more built up. Parts of it even have a semi-urban feel to them, but overall very suburban. It is also right on I-94, a very busy link from Chicago to Madison and Minneapolis. Schools are also very good here and shopping and dining are more plentiful. There is also a 1 million plus shopping center going in here, though ground has not yet been broken. This will be comparable in size or even larger than all other metro Milwaukee area malls. Ocon is a bit more middle class than Muskego, but there are some pricey areas here too. Ocon is part of what is called the Lake Country area, which stretches from Ocon to Pewaukee and is imo one of the nicest parts of the metro area and most scenic. Ocon is also only a half hour from Madison, which is the capital and also a very beautiful city of about 225,000. Just east of the half way point between Milw and Madison.

Both suburbs are in Waukesha County, one of the most desirable counties in the state of Wisconsin and also one of the most affluent. While I would not describe both communities as being the same, both are very nice and you would not go wrong with either. I would prob choose Ocon, but I prefer more built up areas and action.
Wow, Kentuckian, I wish I could add more advice to this for you, however, I think boomper pretty much knocked this one out of the ballpark. That synopsis was pretty much dead-on.

Really, you couldn't go bad with either community. As boomper and sunflower both said, I think my leanings would also be towards Oconomowoc. But frankly, it isn't because of a negative towards Muskego...I have spent much time for years in Muskego off-and-on and it is a really nice town. However, for years and years I have felt that Oconomowoc might just be the nicest suburb / area in all of metro Milwaukee, and I have always just loved the place. It is only getting better.

So whichever one you pick, you'll be doing great. But yeah, I would vote between the two for Oconomowoc, but that is like asking, "which is better - ice cream or cake?" To most, they are both pretty good, and the differences are pretty much what boomper alluded to.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 29,279 times
I grew up in Oconomowoc and I absolutly love it there still! My mother still lives there and I visit her every chance I get. The schools are wonderful, they are building 2 new middle schools this year. It is growing in a big way but still retains that lovely small town that I know and love. Lots of stuff for family's to do together there, very kid freindly!!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 PM

41,183 posts, read 50,979,381 times
Default Oconomowac

My all time favorite grocery store is the Oconomowac Pick n Save. It's awesome.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 54,955 times
Default Thanks!

Great help guys. We were leaning towards Oconomowoc and after your responses our thoughts on the place were confirmed. Thanks so much. Hope to be there with you soon!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,049 times
Greetings
I lived in Oconomowoc for 39 years. I now live in Muskego. They are similar places. The lakes in Oconomowoc are nicer I think. There is a 2.2 mile walk around Fowler lake one can walk without crossing the street. I am fond of Oconomowoc for the farmland surrounding it. There are also many other lakes nearby. Oconomowoc is more developed as far as nearby stores and retaraunts. You really end up going to New Berlin Brookfield Greendale or Milwaukee if you are in Muskego. Muskego has only recently developed its retail sector beyond grocery and fast food. Muskego is nice for access to Milwaukee. I think schools are probably comparable. I went to a smaller neighborhood school I walked to in grade school. Given the choice I would live in Oconomowoc. Quainter more rural.
Steven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin