Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Thank you BusyNurse. It is kind of depressing reading others' comments about the area. Do you think Menominee is any better with regard to area to live/shopping/restaurants? Also wondering pros vs cons of living in Wisconsin versus Michigan. Thanks though for your comments.
Marinette and Menominee run together and it's honestly hard to tell them apart sometimes lol

I lived in both WI and MI and probably the biggest difference I noticed was the cost of auto insurance...I paid about 1/3 more in Michigan. If memory serves, they had some additional requirements there but right now I can't recall the details - sorry!

Used to be that retirement income was not taxable in Michigan (probably still the same, it wasn't too long ago that I lived there)...which might be a consideration at some point.

The commute between Marinette/Menominee and Green Bay really isn't too bad anymore, now that they've redone STH 41. As long as you don't plan on shopping multiple times per week...and understand that the weather could prevent you from driving down there during the winter months ... I think you'll be fine. They still have some of the basic shopping in Marinette.

If you like the outdoors, the area cannot be beat.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
My condolences. Marinette is a terrible city as is most of the surrounding area. Avoid.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

19 posts, read 54,958 times
I found the cost of living to be less overall in WI. Insurance was rediculous in MI.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,992 times
Marinette Public schools get a bad rap, but they do a great job! Plenty of very affordable housing available for someone coming from bigger cities. Crime rate is low, mostly just petty stuff. Most people don't bother locking doors.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 7,559 times
Default Marinette/ Menominee is a great place to live!

Marinette/Menominee has year round fishing, white sand beaches, a lovely marina that touts gorgeous sailboats and waterfront festivals, historic apartments and shops, lighthouse piers and an excellent cost of living. All the major stores you could want including a Walmart, Menards and Aldy's are at your disposal. It is a small town with a community college, a moderately large hospital that offers comprehensive services and several factories that offer employment opportunities. They have a community theater that provides a cultural experience a few times per year and Green Bay is only 50 miles away if you crave a bigger city feel on occassion. They have golf courses, a YMCA and several bars and restaurants to enjoy. I have lived many places, and every situation is what you make of it. There is much opportunity for a lovely life in Marinette if you do a little work to find it.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,926 times
I am taking a job offer in Marinette. Moving from Texas to Wisconsin is no doubt going to be a culture shock but I am ready for a change. I had the opportunity to fly up there and visit, the company was gracious enough to foot the bill, and enjoyed my visit. Headed back to stay in a few weeks. Me being a single guy I am sure I will get bored but its time to experience new things! Enjoyed reading all of the posts wish there were more. Hope everyone has a wonderfull and blessed day!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
We moved from TX to WI in 2010. Definitely different, but we love it here.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Congrats on the job, i've been up here for a year and a half now and the best thing about this place is the low cost of living. I was able to support my family as a waitress. Not saying it was easy but I was the only one working and we did it.

There is nothing to do up here at all as you probably know already. The mall is pathetic first time i had to shop there i ended up crying.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStine88 View Post
Congrats on the job, i've been up here for a year and a half now and the best thing about this place is the low cost of living. I was able to support my family as a waitress. Not saying it was easy but I was the only one working and we did it.

There is nothing to do up here at all as you probably know already. The mall is pathetic first time i had to shop there i ended up crying.

Isn't boating big in that part of Wisconsin?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
Hey....I have been hearing a fair amount of good things about Marinette Marine....how is it to.work at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin