Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a southern hood type area, originally from WA State...

And now I want to leave this area...I live around mainly blacks, and find the enviornment to be very hostile...

(mainly do to out of control young rogues)...and as it gets warmer, they get crazier...

Ex-felons and miscrients, with no purpose roam the streets at night, looking for prey...

Right now it makes white 'racist' northerners or Wisconsinors, seem friendly to me...

I've lived around 'racist' or so called 'racist' before...(it's not that their racist, so much as fearful and misinformed)...

In other words they will lump a succesful person of color who earns a good living, right along with a crack head thief on the streets...

It's not so much their racist as they fail, or have lost the ability to make distinctions between people of the same color or heritage...

But they can (we can) make those distinctions amongst others of our same color, but not others...

In other words when a white guy does something hideious, other white people judge them as an induvisual with a bad character...but if a black guy does something hideious, it becomes like an inditement against all black people or males...

If a white person is robbed by another white person...only that white person is bad...but if that same white person is robbed by a latino...than all 18 million latinos have to account for what that one single latino did...

That's the logic and reason of many so called 'racist'...

They have the ability to create a few acceptions now and then but it's always cause 'your different' or some other jazz, in their mind...

But still, I'd rather live around so called racist, and be safe, than around rogue urban youth, and not be safe...

As long as they physically leave me alone while I'm in my home or dwelling...they can hate on me all they want...and as long as they don't vandalize my property, they can hate on me all they want...(that's between them and the God they serve)...

Heck, the majority of my socializing takes place over the net anyhow...so I really don't care how people percieve or react to me in real life anymore...again...that's between them and their own God or gods...

My God, the god I know, tells me to be loving...and that's all I can control anymore, my own actions and reactions, not others...

Ok, I'm done...but pleaase do tell me about Price Co....

Sounds like an intro to a scary movie or thriller...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
My admittedly limited research into Wisconsin towns has found them to be not particularly ethnically diverse, though larger places like Milwaukee and Madison were not in the sample I had selected. I was looking at towns around 5K people or less. They all seemed to be 90% or more white.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

To me, 'white' is such a generic term....

A more interesting search would be that of like religious make up...or political demographic...

In my experience, the color of someones skin only matters up to the second you begin talking to them...then it all becomes about personality...

'Oh, your a plumber?' or 'Oh, I didn't know you enjoyed bird watching' or 'Wow, I to am member of the Veterans club'...ect ect...

From that point on it becomes about interest and or hobbies and or career...

If someone still focuses on your color, after they meet you, than indeed to me, they do have internal issues...

A-Americans are still a small percentage of the population...(In urban areas, that's easy to forget)...

That being said...it is to be expected that certain rural states have less A-American populations..(less people period, of all make ups)

People really have no reason to go to such remote areas unless there's jobs and opportunity...

It's more a matter of economics...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

And now I want to leave this area...I live around mainly blacks, and find the enviornment to be very hostile...

(mainly do to out of control young rogues)...and as it gets warmer, they get crazier...

Ex-felons and miscrients, with no purpose roam the streets at night, looking for prey...

Right now it makes white 'racist' northerners or Wisconsinors, seem friendly to me...

I've lived around 'racist' or so called 'racist' before...(it's not that their racist, so much as fearful and misinformed)...

In other words they will lump a succesful person of color who earns a good living, right along with a crack head thief on the streets...

It's not so much their racist as they fail, or have lost the ability to make distinctions between people of the same color or heritage...

But they can (we can) make those distinctions amongst others of our same color, but not others...

In other words when a white guy does something hideious, other white people judge them as an induvisual with a bad character...but if a black guy does something hideious, it becomes like an inditement against all black people or males...

If a white person is robbed by another white person...only that white person is bad...but if that same white person is robbed by a latino...than all 18 million latinos have to account for what that one single latino did...

They have the ability to create a few acceptions now and then but it's always cause 'your different' or some other jazz, in their mind...

But still, I'd rather live around so called racist, and be safe, than around rogue urban youth, and not be safe...

As long as they physically leave me alone while I'm in my home or dwelling...they can hate on me all they want...and as long as they don't vandalize my property, they can hate on me all they want...(that's between them and the God they serve)...

Heck, the majority of my socializing takes place over the net anyhow...so I really don't care how people percieve or react to me in real life anymore...again...that's between them and their own God or gods...

My God, the god I know, tells me to be loving...and that's all I can control anymore, my own actions and reactions, not others...

Much of what you said might be true. What I have in bold, well, this is my take on it. I have lived around criminals as well as racists. Personally, I don't want to live around either. Criminals make me afraid to go out at night. Racists can make it hard for me to live like any other White person in the USA. Both make my life hard. I have actually been subjected to racial intimidation. A few people in my high school threatened to "hang me by a noose". A few times people have driven by and screamed the "n" word at me. Criminals are racists are the same to me in my book. Both will cause ME problems. The thing with racism is that sometimes racist persons can be put in charge. If that happens, that would scare me because in my eyes, some of the scariest racists are the racists who get put in positions of authority or who are have to make hiring decisions.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Much of what you said might be true. What I have in bold, well, this is my take on it. I have lived around criminals as well as racists. Personally, I don't want to live around either. Criminals make me afraid to go out at night. Racists can make it hard for me to live like any other White person in the USA. Both make my life hard. I have actually been subjected to racial intimidation. A few people in my high school threatened to "hang me by a noose". A few times people have driven by and screamed the "n" word at me. Criminals are racists are the same to me in my book. Both will cause ME problems. The thing with racism is that sometimes racist persons can be put in charge. If that happens, that would scare me because in my eyes, some of the scariest racists are the racists who get put in positions of authority or who are have to make hiring decisions.
You have a point there...when anyone who lacks 'balance' is put in charge over others, and has 'state authority'...they can make it hard, be it a criminal minded person or 'racist' or 'jihadist' ect ect...

Often they can use their authority to win favor, spread lies, harass ect ect...

Where I live now, in the SE, there's so many people of color, that most whites are totally use to it...it's no big deal anymore...

But say up in Montana or parts of rural Oregon or Wyoming or the Dakotas, where they may only see one black person every 6 months, you never quite know how the reaction will be...

You would hope by now, most realize America is made up of more than just one type of person. You would hope, if not personal interaction, than at least the media would help make them aware of that...

But then again if one only realize on media, no telling what type of perception they can have of you...

It really can suck always feeling like a foriegner in your own country, always wondering how people will percieve you, not based on anything you've done, but based on what they have personally experienced in the past.

Then again it also sucks having to live around a class of people (a certain criminal element) that don't value their own life or limb, and thereby don't value others or your own.

Such extremes...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM

74 posts, read 141,291 times
Quote:

Oh, i completely understand what you mean about a person not necessarily being a hateful-racist, but just ignorant and/or fearful of a group of people they don't really know.....

I just REALLY wish i didn't have to think about stuff like "oh i wonder if i can move here as a black chick" or "will people here treat me like crap and look at me weird non-stop if i date a white guy"...............i really would love to live in a quite little place by the water, like Green Bay, but oh wells.....C'est La Vie! =(

Now I have no idea where i'll end up going to get my prerequisites out the way.....probably Jersey or Connecticut though since i'm not too comfy on Milwaukee & Madison seems rather insane atm.....but i definitely want to end up in Anchorage after a few years! =)

Again, thanks for all the comments..... <3

Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Everything is relative in Price County. It is backwoods and very rural. Avoid

Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope & Love! View Post
Oh, i completely understand what you mean about a person not necessarily being a hateful-racist, but just ignorant and/or fearful of a group of people they don't really know.....

I just REALLY wish i didn't have to think about stuff like "oh i wonder if i can move here as a black chick" or "will people here treat me like crap and look at me weird non-stop if i date a white guy"...............i really would love to live in a quite little place by the water, like Green Bay, but oh wells.....C'est La Vie! =(

Now I have no idea where i'll end up going to get my prerequisites out the way.....probably Jersey or Connecticut though since i'm not too comfy on Milwaukee & Madison seems rather insane atm.....but i definitely want to end up in Anchorage after a few years! =)

Again, thanks for all the comments..... <3
You seem like a real go getter, I bet where ever you go, whether Alaska or Jersey, you'll have guys of all stripes trying to build up nerves to ask you out, not vice versa...
You sound like a go getter, like the lady in the movie 'Aliens vs Preditor'...the movie starts off with her climbing a ice glacier in the middle of no where...just for sport...you have nothing to worry about, wherever you go, you will attract the best to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Everything is relative in Price County. It is backwoods and very rural. Avoid
Thanks for solving the Price County mystery for me...the original poster left that one short comment...like a cliff hanger...and I was intrigued with it..

It sounded like a Stephen King novel or something...

'Avoid Price County at all cost, those who ignore these warnings, are never heard from again'..

Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
You have a point there...when anyone who lacks 'balance' is put in charge over others, and has 'state authority'...they can make it hard, be it a criminal minded person or 'racist' or 'jihadist' ect ect...

Often they can use their authority to win favor, spread lies, harass ect ect...

Where I live now, in the SE, there's so many people of color, that most whites are totally use to it...it's no big deal anymore...

But say up in Montana or parts of rural Oregon or Wyoming or the Dakotas, where they may only see one black person every 6 months, you never quite know how the reaction will be...

You would hope by now, most realize America is made up of more than just one type of person. You would hope, if not personal interaction, than at least the media would help make them aware of that...

But then again if one only realize on media, no telling what type of perception they can have of you...

It really can suck always feeling like a foriegner in your own country, always wondering how people will percieve you, not based on anything you've done, but based on what they have personally experienced in the past.

Then again it also sucks having to live around a class of people (a certain criminal element) that don't value their own life or limb, and thereby don't value others or your own.

Such extremes...
I live in the Southeast too, specifically in the Atlanta area. There are alot of African-Americans and Hispanics here. On the other hand, go to the some of the northern parts of Georgia, different story.

You have a point about the media. If one relies on the media, then problems will result.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM

59 posts, read 123,947 times
I read through this whole forum and, instead of putting up a bunch of quotes, I'll just synthesize it together into one complete idea.

I'm originally from the Northern (I think the word was) naive part of the state where people don't have a lot of racial interaction. True. We don't, or at least didn't until we began to get an influx of Latino migrants and Hmong refugees, but now there's a much more racially diverse environment in those areas. Don't get me wrong, the perception by the older generations is generally negative because the rung on the ladder that these people occupy is that of an immigrant working a low wage job to get by. There weren't/aren't a lot of Blacks in my area, but the ones who were were generally accepted because they wouldn't come up to the northern cities (I'm visualizing Wausau in particular) unless they had a reason (who would).

There was a statistic that was out that talked about race and voting patterns during the 2008 election. Wisconsin, one of the whiter states in the nation, was almost entirely, in a county by county analysis, in favor of electing Barack Obama as president. In the study, they talked about how places with lower White vs Minority make ups have a higher potential to accept people of a different race because they haven't had enough experiences interacting with people of color to develop an opinion yet. This was how they explained how Wisconsin, mostly White, went for Obama while Louisiana, a sometimes Democratic state with a high Black population, went for McCain.

Anyway, I think it applies in this situation. The people I know in the north might be more willing to make an off-color racial joke and laugh than to be truthfully untrusting or unaccepting of people of another race. The incidents of discrimination (one time a white kid at my high school asked a Black kid if he was a n***er) that I've seen had a larger group of people defending the person of color than the white kid. (they pushed him away and got a teacher involved).

So anyway, please, if you come here, you will find that plenty of people are perfectly accepting of anyone or any relationship. My best friend married his Filipena girlfriend last year and all people can say is how good they look together (they live in Marshfield, WI population 19,000). I think that the level of acceptance here is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin