Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I accepted a job offer and will be moving my family to Superior, WI this summer. Would appreciate any advice on the following:

1. Neighborhoods: Superior - which ones are good and which ones to stay away from? I have 2-year olds and it is important for us to be in a safe, family-oriented area. Is it worth considering Duluth as well? How do taxes work if we lived in MN and worked in WI?

2. Daycare: we will be looking to place our kids in a daycare for a few days a week. Are there any good ones? I saw there is one daycare at the university of wisconsin-superior campus. I will be working for the university, so I can probably get them in there, but need to know whether it is a good facility.

3. Schools: what are the good schools in the area? Do we have to live in a particular area to send kids to a certain school?

4. Shopping: i know it's not a huge town, so would appreciate any information on where residents buy groceries, appliances, cloth, etc.

5. Utilities: what cell phone companies have a good reception in the area? what companies offer landline phones? internet? electricity? gas? oil? tv?

6. House features: we will be buying a house and would appreciate any information on what to watch out for, what features are particularly worth the money, etc. For example, I know some homes have heated floors, is it really worth paying for extra? Types of windows, insulation, heating, cooling... - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7. Banks/mortgage lenders: would like to borrow from a local institution, so their inspectors check out a house before we rush in to buy it. Any good banks/mortgage lenders? I have heard of the university of wisconsin system credit union, are there any other options?

8. Cars: we have front-wheel drive vehicles at the moment, do we really need a 4 wheel drive?

9. Snow: is it worth buying a snow blower? Or if we live within the city we can get away with shovels?

10. Moving: are there any good moving companies? We will be moving from MD and plan on getting a container.

Any other useful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,235 times
Anywhere from East End to Billings Park to around the High School would be the best place in Superior. Superior this year was rated the best city in Wisconsin, so crime is not really an issue. Stay away from Duluth. When shopping for clothes go to Duluth lol.
That daycare works fine.
Whatever area is what schools your children will go to. Most of the Superior Schools are pretty good.
You would wanna shop in Duluth. It's a pretty decent sized town.
AT&T has by far the best reception, especially when you start getting to the country parts, ATT actually has bars.
Most of the houses have carpet, and most of the houses have necessary features. One unneeded feature would probably be a pool.
Idk.
4-wheel drive would be best... 2 wheel doesn't really cope well with Northern winters... Unless you like getting stuck.
ABSOLUTE YES YOU NEED A SNOWBOLWER. Unless you like shoveling 5 feet of snow...
And idk.
Winters are pretty brutal up there so be ready, especially with Lake Superior... but they are pretty good if you are an outdoorsman.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
^^ Timely feedback!

"Superior this year was rated the best city in Wisconsin." LOL, by whom?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:52 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Timely feedback!

"Superior this year was rated the best city in Wisconsin." LOL, by whom?

Superior named best city to live in Wisconsin | Northland's NewsCenter: News, Weather, Sports | NBC, CBS, MyNetworkTV, and The CW for Duluth MN / Superior WI | Local News

Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Ah, by "creditdonkey.com?" Well that settles it, I'm packing a moving truck right after dinner...

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
LOL...well, that's something. I'm sure the Superior Tourism Board and Chamber of Commerce were hanging their hats on that one!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Pack a parka or 20.

I believe the temp was something like -70F up there last winter with windchill.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I've gotten along just fine with front-wheel drive and have driven through all kinds of nastiness.

Good insulation, good windows, and an upgraded furnace is what you want to look for in a house. Wood stove over a fireplace, if you ever want to burn wood. And a garage. Preferably an attached garage.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
I've lived in Superior. It's definitely the best city in Douglas County - it's the only city in Douglas County (the other municipalities are towns and villages).

It's not the worst town in the world, by any means, but it is a drab and boring place that lacks the scenery of Duluth across the harbor - not to mention of Bayfield and Ashland on the shore to the east. It's a port city whose boom times are long in the past and it simply lacks the natural beauty to reinvent itself, as many other cities in the northern Great Lakes have done, as a tourist economy.

It's cheap, if that's the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin