U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 76,513 times
Default Is Door County racially friendly?

I have heard from numerous people of how wonderful and beautiful Door County is, but I was wondering if it's a friendly place to go for an interracial couple? I was raised in Northern Wisconsin in Vilas County and love all the nature that Wisconsin provides and would like to share my idea of Wisconsin with my fiance. I am an engaged to a beautiful, smart, and intellectual African American woman and we like to experience things together, so I thought that Door County would be a great place to see. I'm not really referring to the occasional "mean mugging" that we get every now and then (we live in Milwaukee) because we can handle that and I know that the older generations have trouble adjusting to progress at times. I'm basically wondering if the respect, friendliness, and welcoming factor are there? Also, what are some "to-do's" when we get there?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 AM

36,067 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Don't go to Door County. You'll both be promptly lynched in a festival atmosphere.

You're from that region of the state, why do you even need to ask what it's like?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM

160 posts, read 196,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roam512 View Post
I have heard from numerous people of how wonderful and beautiful Door County is, but I was wondering if it's a friendly place to go for an interracial couple?
I'd imagine there are a lot of leftists up there as it's a well monied place.

Quote:
I am an engaged to a beautiful, smart, and intellectual African American woman
That's cool. What part of africa did she come from? I have a friend that came from egypt that lives in green bay. It was funny as he's lived there for a long time and people would come up to him, thinking he was on the packers as he's a light skinned black. Then they heard him talk. lol!

Does your african fiancee have an accent? Some people have a hard time understanding people if it's too hard. Sometimes a friend of mine from south africa says people think he's from england/australia due to his accent. That's funny.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM

59 posts, read 67,849 times
Honestly, Door County is akin to Vacationland-Wisconsin/Chicagoland. I can't see you having too much of a problem seeing the sights and sitting on some beaches. I can't help you out with what to do there; but, I'm sure you'll find some information.

Oh, and just to relieve your worry, I brought non-white people to visit my area of Wisconsin all the time and I never had an issue. Have a good time!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 AM

45 posts, read 93,116 times
Just as anywhere in Wi., you'll get some stares. I would stay out of smaller redneck looking bars or where heavy drinkers congregate. People now are more polite and treat people of color as novelties and may ask dumb questions.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM

4,978 posts, read 3,053,232 times
I really doubt you'll have any problems up there. Door County is pretty laid back.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 AM

21 posts, read 27,955 times
Why do you consider dating an interracial women progress? Progress towards what?

Like blacks that have problems with it, I do too to an extent. The white race in America is dying, as is the black race. Of course you're going to get people looking at you funny from both of the races, as they will question if you have any sense of self-identity and any sense of relating to your own culture.

But c'mon now, unless you're from the suburbs but are one of those that think it sounds "cooler" to say Milwaukee, then you should know that the chances of you getting crap is way, way higher in the city then in the country. It's Door county for chrissakes, not Hazard county.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM

167 posts, read 251,836 times
Door County is a very "touristy" area. I doubt you'll have many problems as it is not your typical NE Wisconsin small town. You'll run into a lot of Chicagoans, and from personal experience we are very friendly to people of all races. I think you'd be fine in DC.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 3,053,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWcolonel View Post
Why do you consider dating an interracial women progress? Progress towards what?

Like blacks that have problems with it, I do too to an extent. The white race in America is dying, as is the black race. Of course you're going to get people looking at you funny from both of the races, as they will question if you have any sense of self-identity and any sense of relating to your own culture.
Wow...really?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 AM

21 posts, read 27,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Wow...really?
Really? Are you surprised or something? You should date and be with someone because you truly love that person.....not to make a political statement or to try to get a rouse out of your race. And yes, what is this progress you speak of? So, you mean to tell me, if I have sex with a Hmong girl or a Latina, I'm making some sort of social progress??? Are you serious? Dating someone of a different race is.....progress? You know how pathetic that is. If civil rights leaders from the past thought progress in the future would be downgraded to sleeping with people of different races they would flip in their graves. People like you find pleasure and purpose in the dumbest things, thinking you are making a "difference". Grow up and get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin