Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,225,752 times

Advertisements

Kenosha: Culturally Inferior?
gimme a city with a population of at least 8 million!
so's I can melt into the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM

425 posts, read 1,950,223 times
Wow, this thread is worthy of a few eyerolls, most of them belonging to the OP. Kenosha is a hole, but you can get your "Cultural needs" met by traveling to Milwaukee or Chicago (there is even a convenient train that will take you to Chicago!!!).

I can't believe there are people in this thread actually advocating someone move to Illinois and commute to work in Kenosha! How ridiculous! It would be incredibly stupid to live in Illinois to commute to Wisconsin so that you can be that much closer to Culture. Illinois income tax is higher (and you will pay Illinois income tax if you live in Illinois, but work in Wisconsin - just as you would pay Wisconsin income tax if you lived in Wisconsin, but worked in Illinois) than Wisconsin's the last time I knew, as is registering your car, and the general cost of living. That's why there are so many people from Illinois moving to the "Cultural wasteland" of Kenosha - because it's cheaper and they can commute to their jobs in Illinois.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,156,616 times
Check out Waukegan. With the renovated Genesse Theatre Waukegan has become one of the Midwest's great cultural centers. You also have gorgeous old neighborhoods and and a rich and exciting history (it was the home of Jack Benny). Then there is the stunning lakefront, quick train service to Chicago and upscale shopping at the still developing Fountain Square lifestyle center. Waukegan is one of the great jewels of the Midwest.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Check out Waukegan. With the renovated Genesse Theatre Waukegan has become one of the Midwest's great cultural centers. You also have gorgeous old neighborhoods and and a rich and exciting history (it was the home of Jack Benny). Then there is the stunning lakefront, quick train service to Chicago and upscale shopping at the still developing Fountain Square lifestyle center. Waukegan is one of the great jewels of the Midwest.
You can get all of that in Kenosha, too. If the OP thinks Kenosha isn't going to meet their "cultural needs" ( ), Waukegan isn't going to meet them, either. I don't think Kenosha is some great city, but I don't think Waukegan is the jewel of the midwest, either.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 PM

44 posts, read 104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Wow, this thread is worthy of a few eyerolls, most of them belonging to the OP. Kenosha is a hole, but you can get your "Cultural needs" met by traveling to Milwaukee or Chicago (there is even a convenient train that will take you to Chicago!!!).

I can't believe there are people in this thread actually advocating someone move to Illinois and commute to work in Kenosha! How ridiculous! It would be incredibly stupid to live in Illinois to commute to Wisconsin so that you can be that much closer to Culture. Illinois income tax is higher (and you will pay Illinois income tax if you live in Illinois, but work in Wisconsin - just as you would pay Wisconsin income tax if you lived in Wisconsin, but worked in Illinois) than Wisconsin's the last time I knew, as is registering your car, and the general cost of living. That's why there are so many people from Illinois moving to the "Cultural wasteland" of Kenosha - because it's cheaper and they can commute to their jobs in Illinois.
Illinois state income tax is not higher than Wisconsin's. Illinois (even with the new tax) is at about 5.5% while Wisconsin's is at about 7%
However, Wisconsin's property taxes are much lower than Illinois (Lake County)
Wisconsin's sales tax is also lower (5.5% in Kenosha County) (6.5% in Lake County, maybe even 7% now)
Wisconsin has cleaner lakes and parks.
I've lived in both Kenosha County and Lake County and like Kenosha County much better.
With that said, I wouldn't really care to live in the city of Kenosha, maybe Pleasant Prairie but not Kenosha.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout66 View Post
Illinois state income tax is not higher than Wisconsin's. Illinois (even with the new tax) is at about 5.5% while Wisconsin's is at about 7%
However, Wisconsin's property taxes are much lower than Illinois (Lake County)
Wisconsin's sales tax is also lower (5.5% in Kenosha County) (6.5% in Lake County, maybe even 7% now)
Wisconsin has cleaner lakes and parks.
I've lived in both Kenosha County and Lake County and like Kenosha County much better.
With that said, I wouldn't really care to live in the city of Kenosha, maybe Pleasant Prairie but not Kenosha.
When I lived in Illinois, my income tax was much higher than when I lived in Wisconsin. Maybe that's because I lived in Cook County, I don't know.

That said, you need to re-read my post again. I was actually arguing against people moving to Illinois and working in Wisconsin.

And Pleasant Prairie blows.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,756,436 times
Bumping this up for Carolineweth in case there is some information that might be helpful. (There seems to be valid info in between the "this place stinks" comments, at least.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin