U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,763,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
Too bad you don't have more time to visit the House on the Rock. Awesome place!

House on the Rock - The Resort l The Attraction l The Inn
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craptacular View Post
How no one has suggested driving to / through New Holstein, WI to this person is beyond me. Take Hwy 57 south from Green Bay through Chilton, New Holstein, Kiel, etc. I have to imagine you'd want to get a picture of yourself in front of the New Holstein sign coming into town. They might not be around anymore, but I remember that there at least used to be one or two big cow statues along the road on that route as well. There are probably more cattle than people in that area.
Where were you 2 weeks ago....we just got back from our VACA. We had a blast...but cutting thru WI we didn't see one holstein. We saw some so far away from the highway, you couldn't even tell if they were holsteins or jersey cows. I was really bummed, but i am printing off your info & taking it with us on our next trip thru WI.
So...thank you very much for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you're going through on a weekend, watch for little towns that have a Corn Roast going on. In late summer, all the surplus corn not delivered to canneries goes to a festival in a cannery town (i.e., almost every town from Sheboygan to Beloit)---all the corn you can eat, free, with a polka band and a generally festive atmosphere. Hard to pin down dates, depends on the timing of the harvest. You might have to ask around, because it's impossible to schedule them far in advance.

It's a fairly short drive from Marinette to the Illinois line, so it'll go by really fast on the Inerstate. So get the state highway map at the state line, and zigzag your way through on the Lettered highways. Nice scenic back roads, see all the little towns and plenty of holstiens.

Waupun can be an interesting stop. The Horicon Marsh, just east of Waupun on Rt-49 is an interesting stop with a great nature trail, but too early in the year for the huge flocks of geese. Look at the State Prison in Waupun, too, its over 160 years old, in the original building, built of local stone. See the "End of the Trail" statue, and other sculptures, in Waupun.
Thankyou for the info. I will copy it as well.
We were in Beloit as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin