Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 24,782 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in NYC and will be moving to Appleton for a job. I was wondering how the city is? Is it a good place to live? What are the pluses and minuses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 34,901 times
Default Moving to Appleton

It's a very surreal place. I grew up there and left at 18 years of age to get a taste of the real world. Never felt like I fit in there. Was always on the outside looking in. Too much cheese, brats and beer for my liking not to mention football. Had a very controlling, alcoholic family, too, so that kind a put a damper on my life at a very young age. Sorry to paint such a somber picture, didn't mean to but no one else jumped in so I did for what it is worth.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 15,101 times
I have never been to NYC, so I can't compare the two cities for you, but I have lived in Appleton for the last 11 years. Were you wondering about the weather, the arts, recreation? We are a city of around 65,000 (I think) but with the surrounding towns we are probably closer to double that. We consistently make the list in "Top Places to Live". I think, coming from a big city, that one of the first things that you will notice is how low and flat it is. Our tallest building downtown is only 183 feet, and the second tallest is 168 feet. No, I didn't know this off the top of my head- I had to look it up If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to try to help you out.

As far as pluses and minuses, in my opinion.
Plus: low crime rate- when you compare our numbers to the national average, we practically look like Mayville. We have seen a slight increase in crime over the last decade, but we have experienced quite a bit of growth which may have contributed. Shootings still make the news (probably less than 6 a year- almost always drug-related), and are almost always followed a couple of days later by an article giving the details of the person(s) in custody. I think our cops are pretty good at staying on top of things. To the best of my knowledge, we have never had a carjacking.

Plus: it is just a short drive to Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Chicago. The lakefront is also only an hour away.

Plus or minus: Appleton LOVES the GB Packers! They are only half hour north of here, and when there is a Packer game, the city stops to watch it. If you do not like football, it is a fabulous time to eat out (not anyplace with TVs though), shop, or get groceries as crowds are minimal. It is a safe bet people will be talking about the game the next day as well.

Plus: if you like just kicking back on mini-vacations, you should look into visiting Door County. Just two hours away, it is the peninsula of WI, only 13 miles wide and there are no chain restaurants or stores allowed north of Sturgeon Bay. Lots of quaint little shops and natural scenery (water, forests, beautiful sunsets).

Plus: Compared to most parts of the country, our housing is extremely affordable. A house around 1000 sq ft - 1500 sq ft can be had from around $100,000 on up. Obviously this is just a general observation, so prices will vary. For what you are probably paying for rent in NYC, you would surely live like a king around here!

Minus: If you are used to round-the-clock living, you will not find it in Appleton. Other than the bars and 24 hour food and pharmacy drive-thrus, you will not find much open after 9 p.m.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 34,901 times
Appleton may be a little flat but it happens to be close to 1000 feet in elevation compared to NYC which is probably at sea level. It does have cold winters. If you don't have a garage, you will need an engine heater to start your car in the winter. It is a dry cold though so it doesn't feel too bad. All of the above is true but be perpared for culture shock. I have been to NYC and visit often (not that I like it or anything) but it is the real world. You might find Appleton a little to "not happening" for your liking. LOL.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 12,797 times
I have lived in cities like Madison, Chicago, and Milwaukee. I attended Northwestern abd loved chicago, but i am wisconsin raised. Not gonna lie, Appleton is a bore. No culture, no real clubs, just a small town feel. All the naighborhoods feel like middle class Stepford. If you looking to just chill and drink and hear a lot of country music on the radio all the time, abd hear about the packers, you may like it. But its gonna be one hell of a culture shock for you. But u can always drive to milwaukee or chicago for some culture.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
This thread is four years old.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:48 PM

365 posts, read 779,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This thread is four years old.
Now on THIS we agree!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
I like these old topics, because the information can still be useful to somebody, but I'm also curious what the OP ended up doing. It'd be nice if they'd come back and let us know.

As for Appleton, I've not been there, but my childhood friend who grew up in Rice Lake with me sort of adopted it as her second hometown as an adult. She moved there after high school and lived there for years. She recently moved to Eau Claire. While she doesn't dislike Eau Claire, she prefers Appleton and misses it. I can totally see her moving back sooner or later.

I've heard nothing but good things about the place.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,433 times
I cannot speak for others, only myself and my family. Appleton was home for only three and a half years in the early 1980's. We moved there from Minneapolis, which was our home for our youth and early adult years. We have very fond thoughts of Appleton and the people and friends we met there. It made a lifelong impression on us and we will always cherish the time we spent there. I was moved there with my job, and then moved out after only a few short years. Nonetheless, we grew spiritually and as a family as we attended the Appleton Alliance Church. I will not speak of the City life in Appleton, as this was not on our agenda. All I can say is that I still miss the area after 30 years! I wish I could go back.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,903 times
If you like beer and music you'll love it Google mile of music. FANTASTIC PLACE.And compared to NY.
you will save something money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin