Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

Demographically it seems like an average small US town - mostly married except almost all white. Its climate is rated average during the summer which is a bit of disappointment as I figured north is more comfortable.

There is a pretty converted church house for sale the Weston Home.

Does anyone know anything about the town or building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There's a fairly well-respected brewery (Tyranena) in Lake Mills. That's enough for me to recommend it.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 AM

48 posts, read 178,526 times
The town itself is built around a very pretty lake with its very own underwater city. A bit of a long commute to Madison or Milwaukee. Sorry not much help but the best I can do at 3 am

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 28,158 times
I lived in Lake Mills for 11 years. We moved away 3 years ago. Our house was about 5 blocks from the Weston house. I have never been inside but have seen pictures. What do you want to know? If you have any questions about Lake Mills that I can't answer, I am sure I know someone in town who does know the answer.
I used to take my dog for walks beside the Weston house. In the summer time the garden between the house and the garage is unbelievably beautiful.
The location of Lake Mills is nice for a small town. It is a quick 20 minute drive on the interstate to the east side of Madison. With good traffic you can be downtown in Milwaukee in under an hour. Great chinese take-out at Ming's Garden. In the summer, nothing is better than a cold beer and a good burger on the deck at the Sand Bar on Sandy Beach at Rock Lake.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM

45 posts, read 82,421 times
ive lived there my whole life the blidings are all older omg im so happy a couple people know about are little town

Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 22,026 times
I was born and raised in Lake Mills. I love it, no crime, good schools, close enough to big city attractions and shopping yet far enough to escape the problems. I only moved away to Arkansas to escape Gov. Doyle. Now that he is out I am looking to come back. Back to Lake Mills - I don't think another town can beat it.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
It IS a great town. I live close by, and actually had a business there for many years. Knew the Westons too. They have done amazing work to that former church, it was in terrible condition when they bought it. As in falling down inside. I'll bet if you google you could find articles about the re-construction.
MKUSMC, come on back, Doyle's long gone!!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,842 times
I moved to Lake Mills about 8 years ago because my husband and I fell in love with the town and because my parents had moved here. We just love it here. I work for our family business downtown, so I get to experience a lot of the local events and people all week long. It's a nice mix of long-time residents and transplants. The commute to both Madison and Milwaukee is easy enough as the town is directly off of I-94. Real estate is much cheaper than the typical burbs of Madison and Milwaukee.

We have a reputation for being the "Mayberry" of WI to tourists. People are friendly, though it can take awhile to be accepted as a real resident. This is most likely because Lake Mills becomes a bit of a vacation town during the summer, with a lot of tourists renting cabins and trailers near the lake. The lake is gorgeous, with 2 really nice beaches and good fishing (or so I hear). Still, this is the kind of place where people say "hi" when they pass each other on the sidewalk. There are cute shops and some great restaurants. El Mariachi's food is about as authentic as Mexican food gets, Carp's Landing has a great brisket, Ming's Garden is fast and friendly with a daily lunch buffet, Blue Moon has great pizza, for example.

What kind of questions do you have about the Weston house? I've seen the interior, which is beautiful but very quirky. Cynthia Weston is an interior designer, so that makes perfect sense. The home has been on the market for awhile, as the price point is high and the property isn't on the lake like most of the larger homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin