U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2006, 03:28 PM

91 posts, read 1,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I know I may be opening myself up for a lot of hatred and mean remarks, but I don't get it. I was born and raised in upstate New York, but I moved to Chicago and lived there for a few years before locating out in Harvard and then Loves Park, Illinois. I have vacationed for years in Wisconsin and have fallen in love with it, especially the LaCrosse area because its very similar to the region I grew up in . . . the hills and such.

I do not understand, however, because I have not personally experienced it except through rumor and some impatient drivers, this deep rooted hatred towards people from "Ill-annoy." I think its really sad that people are judged based on their geographic choice of living. We are asked through advertisements to vacation in Wisconsin and yet we are told that Wisconsin people would rather we stay home. This forum has really driven that point home and for the first time not through rumor.

My husband and I are still going ahead with plans to relocate to Wisconsin. We were going to return to New York State, but decided we like the midwest and love the State of Wisconsin. If we're not welcomed not a big deal, but unfortunate for our 3 year old son who will consider himself native after growing up there. I do hope the kids aren't as prejudiced as apparently the parents may be.

Thanks for letting me vent and I would hope to get some responses that can explain the judgements based on being from Illinois so that I might come to understand why we're so hated.

maybe it's because illinois is the RUDEST state in the country. because, from my awful experiences, illinoisans are generally very rude, ignorant, and selfish; in fact, there is barely enough friendly hospitality in the ENTIRE STATE OF ILLINOIS to fill a boeing 737 jet airplane! in fact, it even seems that du page county has some of the rudest people in the country, people who carry a philosophy that says; "if you do not live next door or across the street from me, go away!" my guess is, if all of the friendly hospitality in du page county were all rounded up, it would barely fill a school bus! not to mention the greedy and selfish politics that run illinois, and to make matters worse, it even seems as if the state of illinois has ordered all websites across the world to ban everyone who complains about illinois!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
I'm a lifelong Wisconsin resident, though not from vacation-country, plus we have no interstate, so maybe I just haven't been exposed to this stuff. But I don't notice any "hatred" of people from Illionois. Some good-natured ribbing, occasionally, e.g. "Chicago deer-hunters" who shoot upon hearing a mysterious sound in the woods, etc. Packers-Bears, of course. This sounds greatly over-generalized from where I sit (central Wisconsin).

By the way, our local high school football field is named after the only police officer in our town ever to have been killed in the line of duty. During Prohibition, this cop - a former world champion wrestler - and his partner were investigating a burglary at the local brewery, and the wrestler-cop was shot dead by gangsters from Chicago.

You're welcome here.
Scottw

Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,413,937 times
This whole thread cracks me up, seriously. BOTH states are populated with absolute morons. Its just in Illinois we have almost 3 times as many people, so of course it seems like we have more. But let me put it this way. Wisconsinites, DONT get pissed because were helping your economy. If you have a problem with bad Illinois drivers, I can say the same about cheesehead drivers around here. More than once Ive been cut off by a WI-plate havin driver. Dont know if it was an accident or just plain stupidity or hatred, but it happens!!! I travel up to Janesville once or twice a year and therefore spend several hours on the highways in Wisconsin where I can PROUDLY tell you that Wisconsin drivers drive just as fast as Illinois ones do. To all the other people who are reading this who dont live in either state, dont fall for their crap about Illinoisans being bad drivers... its BOTH that suck. In fact, some cheeshead, dairy-queen WI state trooper gave me at ticket because I went over the speed limit while PASSING a cheeshead who was driving 5 UNDER in the passing lane! WI troopers are notorious for picking out Illinois plate and for that I say ***** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! There is bad blood between the states, and for reasons unknown.

And why whine about Chicago? Pfft, like WI has room to speak. Milwaukee is a decaying dump. Chicago is the only city in the midwest that is holding us together. All other midwestern large cities are decrepid and rotting, and us Illinoisans work VERY HARD to keep our city on top and a world leader. Dont get pissed if we want to get away for a weekend and enjoy your nice state. You should be glad that were sinking money into your economy! You should be glad that we vacation there as god knows if it werent for Illinois tourists, your tourism levels would depreciate by dozens of percentage points.

And through all of this crap, if the USA were invaded guess who would be fighting hand-in-hand/brother with brother defending our region? Thats right, dairy-queens and flatlanders. Even though there is bad blood at times, we're brothers. Were neighbors. We're fellow countrymen and friends who help each other out (more so on our part). Its time to realize this and think about what really matters, not who drives fast in each others' states!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM

693 posts, read 2,075,328 times
Default Let's be sensible about this...

"In fact, some cheeshead, dairy-queen WI state trooper gave me at ticket because I went over the speed limit while PASSING a cheeshead who was driving 5 UNDER in the passing lane! WI troopers are notorious for picking out Illinois plate and for that I say ***** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!""

As a retired law enforcement officer from Wisconsin, I can tell you that we never arrest people based on license plates! I don't know where you get this attitude from but it is clear to everyone reading your statement that you have a big chip on your shoulder. You have a right to express your opinion; just don't carry your police prejudice into your statements. I think everyone reading this can figure out where your head is at.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM

371 posts, read 1,260,332 times
I'm actually sorry I started this post. Somedays it just seems people have had a bad day and are venting their rage and not really, per se, the topic. Its had some good informative insights, but also some really highly negative non-informative insights. I guess there's good and bad in everything and everyone. Take care and peace be with all this coming holiday season.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
"In fact, some cheeshead, dairy-queen WI state trooper gave me at ticket because I went over the speed limit while PASSING a cheeshead who was driving 5 UNDER in the passing lane! WI troopers are notorious for picking out Illinois plate and for that I say ***** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!""

As a retired law enforcement officer from Wisconsin, I can tell you that we never arrest people based on license plates! I don't know where you get this attitude from but it is clear to everyone reading your statement that you have a big chip on your shoulder. You have a right to express your opinion; just don't carry your police prejudice into your statements. I think everyone reading this can figure out where your head is at.
I wasnt arrested, no reason to be arrested. But please dont tell me that they dont single out Illinois plates, that would be a gross misunderestimation...

I DO have a big chip on my shoulder and for good reasons. I had to pay $250 ticket for being in the RIGHT! I passed a vehicle who was driving UNDER the speed limit (directly disobeying the 'slower traffic keep right' signs) and happened to go over the speed limit while doing so and IM the one who gets busted. Figure that one out! Whats even more sad was the other traffic in the middle 2 lanes were going faster than I was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats why I went into the middle lanes to pass someone who was clogging up the passing lane! In fact, the guy I went to visit in Wisconsin (at Pioneer Village) told me that he constantly hears WI trooper calls on his scanner (hes a truck driver based in Racine) pulling over "flatlanders", etc.... We all know how corrupt law enforcement agencies can get, and in no way am I saying youre one of them, but hes heard the calls himself and he told me they pick plates out of the crowd, and ALL of them happen to be speeding together (a common tactic) and they go after the out-of-staters. Im not stupid or blind. I can tell you that I have LOTS of friends who are petrified to go 2 mph over the speed limit in Wisconsin because they know how bad the troopers pick on Illinois plates. And based on the normal reactions to "FIBS" from most Wisconsinites, its obvious how you guys feel about us, and that doesnt exclude law enforcement.

You guys drive terribly slow and obnoxious down here too, dont think were the only ones, thats just stupid.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

Why is my post bad? I make a point that there is bad-blood between the states, and for unknown reasons. I say WI is a nice state and cant figure out why we get crap just because were from Illinois. I state how angry I am over an un-just ticket, and I point out how Chicago is a staple in midwestern society, and how we really should be acting more like brothers and friends than getting mad about how fast we drive on each others' highways. Nothing wrong with my post.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,075,328 times
Default I stand by my statement...

I stand by my statement that police do not arrest people because of what state they are from. Also, you have been "arrested" whenever your "freedom of movement" is stopped, however momentary. This section of the forum has begun to lose its usefulness and has gotten petty. I withdraw from future posts. Thanks to all who have added information.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM

153 posts, read 491,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

And why whine about Chicago? Pfft, like WI has room to speak. Milwaukee is a decaying dump. Chicago is the only city in the midwest that is holding us together. All other midwestern large cities are decrepid and rotting, and us Illinoisans work VERY HARD to keep our city on top and a world leader.
Well I will grant your understanding of Milwaukee, I don't think Chicago is the only city in the midwest holding together. Minneapolis, Madison, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, and Indy are doing their part - and they are all far from rotting an decrepid.

Anyway, the whole point of the this thread was to point out why there's hatred between the two states. I think your attitude along with others are perfect examples of the reasons why. Again it's the "We have money, and we own the place" attitude that is so prevelant amoungst those from Chicago, which ticks so many in Wisconsin off.

As for your speeding ticket, if you were going faster than the speed limit to pass, it's illegal. Regardless of what others were doing, so the cop was justified. Plus, it is perfectly legal to go below the speed limit. Hence why they call it a "limit" and not a minimum.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 3,019,235 times
"I think you vastly underestimate the importance of out of stater's contribution to the property taxes. What drives the economy is the tourism dollars, not the property taxes. Property taxes are MUCH higher in the southern parts of the state, and less so in the northern parts. What out of staters do, is drive up real estate prices making it harder and harder for locals to stay in an area and provide you with all the wonderful services that make the Northwoods great."

I lived in NW Illinois for 12 years, and spent a lot of time in Madison, WI. I don't think Wisc people are any different than Illinois. A friend of my husband's lived in Elizabeth, IL and constantly complained about the Chicago people moving out there and building McMansions for their weekend homes.
His father wanted to expand his farm, but couldn't afford the neighbors land that was up for sale. The fact is, that farmer sold his land for the highest possible price he could get, and retired with a comfortable bank account, because he sold to a developer who was building those weekend "cottages".

I guess its just easier to blame the Chicago people and their dirty city money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin