Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 AM

84 posts, read 392,157 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

My oldest boy is a big, I mean big, Packer fan, so I just picked up
one share of their stock for him as a Christmas gift just to hang on his wall.

Yes I know its not like normal stock.

I told a buddy of mine about it, and he made it out like ( wow! really thats kinda worthless ) so I kinda felt like I wasted $250 + shipping.

What are your thoughts on this as a Christmas gift, hes 19 loves the Packers, his walls and dressers are full of pictures, bobble heads and the like.

Waste ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:42 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,194,660 times
I read the offering document and decided against it. I have some stock experience and this is not really a stock offering in most senses, more like a donation drive. The stock technically retains no value when transferred, except to an immediate family member. There's no way to 'get your money back' though I'm assuming everyone knew this. It's a way to give money to the packers if you support their team. Wish more sports teams were set up like this rather then having to levy taxes that not everyone supports. You do get 'voting rights' however if you choose to exercise them.

Plus they are selling so many of them, that there's no way they will retain any value as a collector's item. It's more a piece of history for a packer's fan. Even now I'm considering it, even with the restrictions.

NOT a waste if you give it to a die hard packers fan. Don't expect to profit in any way from it however.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-13-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,004,060 times
Yup. Sucker. Sorry but it's just as valuable as a picture from a magazine of Rodgers. Just as long as hes a die hard packer fan and realizes that he really isn't an owner then its okay. It's the goof that think they actually own the team and have a say during the shareholders meeting to say how the team should be run. It's just a donation and a brilliant marketing idea. I don't fault people or the packers for raising money but they should be more honest about the donation for the lambeau field expansion. I would write a check to the brewers and bucks every year if they had a donation drive.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,358,353 times
It's basically just a neat keepsake. It will be something your son will probably enjoy having on his wall.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM

365 posts, read 776,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
My oldest boy is a big, I mean big, Packer fan, so I just picked up one share of their stock for him as a Christmas gift just to hang on his wall.
If there is even only a kernel of truth to the above statement then you just bought your son the perfect Christmas gift!

Merry Christmas and Go PACK Go!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM

84 posts, read 392,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
If there is even only a kernel of truth to the above statement then you just bought your son the perfect Christmas gift!

Merry Christmas and Go PACK Go!
Funny thing is I didn't know anything about football, and he would look at me strange when I would ask,

( well why the hell did they stop the clock now, but not before. or what the hell is pass interference vs slapping the ball out of the guys hands, this games crap, you got to be kidding )

and then it hit me, he knew everything about all the players, how they played, what they were good at, and oh before Rodgers, if I dared make fun of the Almighty number 4, yikes !

Yea he's a big Packers fan, I could have given him some neat stuff for $250.

I justed wondered if a big, big Packer fan would look at the share and think, oh crap, id rather have an iphone.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,558,451 times
Good Choice in my opinion, something simple is nice for a change, who wants a stupid Iphone? People these days with all the tech stuff. Believe me he will love it. My dad is a big Packers fan and has many simple things like this. Stick to your guns, you got the right present.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,545,300 times
Your son now owns a piece of the Packers. Awesome!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,860,953 times
That's a GREAT gift! I wouldn't think twice about it. he's going to be thrilled. You know, if you bought him an i-phone or some other techy device, you'd probably pick the wrong kind.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM

442 posts, read 537,079 times
If someone bought me stock in the Cleveland Cavaliers, I'd just be excited.

Because I'm a Cavs fan, not because it's a dull gift, like the Cavaliers will be this year.

It's a tough life, but at least it shows you know something about your son's passions and hobbies. I wish my parents knew what I liked so I'd get something more than expensive, techie crap. Seems they don't care.

Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin