Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 AM

378 posts, read 704,439 times

Advertisements

Winter started about three days ago, so no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
After living in the South for awhile you will appreciate the North that much more. Trust me... Unless winter weather is the sole deciding factor when determining quality of life. Take up a winter sport like snowshoeing or cross country skiing. This winter has been useless for lack of snow and lots of freeze/thaw cycles so I know that has been frustrating for a number of people as well.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM

149 posts, read 313,791 times
We are all different, so obviously we handle the cold/snow differently. I have 3 little kids and I feel imprisoned in my house. It is very tough taking 3 little ones out in this. We went to grandmas last night and you can't imagine how long it takes to get boots, gloves, hats, jackets, on and off a few times just to go to visit someone. Not to mention the roads were horrible. I 90 bridges last night were glare ice and a car was all smashed up coming home.

I lot of guys I know take up ice fishing, but I swear (from doing it a lot) you need to have antifreeze in your veins. These guys will sit on a bucket for hours in bone chilling winds and catch maybe a couple fish. I'm the guy in the shack with the propane heater and 20 layers on!

Still -3F in my yard, while Milwaukee is a balmy 12F.

I hear you on the snow never melting. Once we get some it seems like it sits until March.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,986,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktank232 View Post
Still -3F in my yard, while Milwaukee is a balmy 12F.
Yeah it's 13 where I am at right next to the lake, I love lake effect. Summers are perfect and winters are anywhere from more mild to slightly mild. Several times a year where Waukesha is getting snow we are getting rain however lake effect snow sucks. A couple of years a go we got 10inches and out in delafield it was sunny and not even snowing. Living next to the lake you in my opinion never have to put the AC on. Our summers start later here and our fall last longer, June next to the lake can be chilly compared to say the Dells. I overall prefer South Beach's lake effect.

I hear people say learn or try winter sports, but if I don't like winter what is flying down a snowy hill going to do to change my mind.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 AM

114 posts, read 324,254 times
Out of all the place mentioned, I would definitely go for Denver, or the Front Range in general. The low humidity allows for a nice range of temps, with cool nights after warm / hot days. Snow tends to melt pretty quickly, rather than the deep freeze that often follows our winter storms. If you like the snow (which I do), there's plenty of it not too far west! Plenty of sunshine, but not continuous overbearing heat.

Florida? No way! San Diego? Boring ... nice, but boring (talking weather here folks). Arizona? Maybe Flagstaff. Pretty much the only way I could tolerate the south would be to get up in elevation a little bit, such as in or around Asheville, NC.

I can take days like this. -9 when I woke up, but already up to 11 and lots of sun! Not that it's a perfect day or anything, but sunshine and a white snowcover makes it much more pleasant. Cold is fine as long as there is snow ... I don't like when it's brown and cold.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM

504 posts, read 1,265,831 times
Quote:
We are all different, so obviously we handle the cold/snow differently. I have 3 little kids and I feel imprisoned in my house. It is very tough taking 3 little ones out in this. We went to grandmas last night and you can't imagine how long it takes to get boots, gloves, hats, jackets, on and off a few times just to go to visit someone. Not to mention the roads were horrible. I 90 bridges last night were glare ice and a car was all smashed up coming home.
I went out when I was young. We had recess outdoors unless the temperature was below -10. Cold weather builds character, IMO.

Ice sucks, that's why warmer temperatures are bad during winter.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Lots of people from the Upper Midwest move to Denver. Denver has a much drier climate with lots of sun in the winter. Most years they get a snow event and it melts a day or two later. Higher elevation= more direct UVA, though. Those that have fair skin can get burned easily, even when out at higher elvations in Colorado. The latitude is much lower at 38-40N, though.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 AM

149 posts, read 313,791 times
I loved winter as a child. Loved it. Something happened when I got into my college years. I just dreaded winter. Then a few years ago I started running (only in winter) and that cured my depression (i think it was SAD). Now I get sick of it, but not depressed or anything like that.

Milwaukee is very mild, as is Chicago. I laugh when the news talks about how cold Chicago is. They need to get away from the trillions of gallons of 40F L Michigan water where it really gets cold. Not to mention those areas don't get the 30 days of clouds like Michigan gets (although its even balmier over there). Some areas of Michigan rarely ever drop below 0F. Springs can suck, but having that lake breeze in the summer would be like free AC. Summer here (like last summer) sucked bananas. I think we had a few days when the dew point hit 80F (something you see in the Persian Gulf, not WI).

So another tip. If you are looking to move to Wisconsin...think about living as near to L Michigan as possible. Save yourself heating money and AC. My brother in law is from Sheboygan and seemed to like it..but he has a drinking problem (ha ha ha ...drinking problem in Wisconsin...is there such a thing?)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I loved winter as a child. Loved it. Something happened when I got into my college years. I just dreaded winter. Then a few years ago I started running (only in winter) and that cured my depression (i think it was SAD). Now I get sick of it, but not depressed or anything like that.

Milwaukee is very mild, as is Chicago. I laugh when the news talks about how cold Chicago is. They need to get away from the trillions of gallons of 40F L Michigan water where it really gets cold. Not to mention those areas don't get the 30 days of clouds like Michigan gets (although its even balmier over there). Some areas of Michigan rarely ever drop below 0F. Springs can suck, but having that lake breeze in the summer would be like free AC. Summer here (like last summer) sucked bananas. I think we had a few days when the dew point hit 80F (something you see in the Persian Gulf, not WI).

So another tip. If you are looking to move to Wisconsin...think about living as near to L Michigan as possible. Save yourself heating money and AC. My brother in law is from Sheboygan and seemed to like it..but he has a drinking problem (ha ha ha ...drinking problem in Wisconsin...is there such a thing?)
La Crosse is not cold at all compared to the Northwoods. I've been to Vilas and Oneida counties in winter and that is an entirely different world Then again, subzero temperatures are not that bad as long as the winds are fairly light. If it's stormy watch out Some of the coldest low temperatures are in the interior areas of northern Wisconsin removed from Lake Superior. Sawyer county holds the record for the lowest temperature recorded (-63F) I believe.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,179,960 times
at least you live in la crosse, a pretty area closer to civilization. Love that area myself, even though it is colder than along lake michigan in SE part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin