U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM

149 posts, read 286,702 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Quote:
Higher-income retirees headed to Florida, and Wisconsin lost more of those with higher incomes than it gained.
The report showed that of the 27,826 people who moved to Florida, family income averaged $81,744. Arizona was a destination for 16,822 people from Wisconsin with family income that averaged $52,798. The report couldn't precisely break down the number of retirees heading south.
The report zeroed in on 1,300 Wisconsinites with an average family income of $138,713 who moved to the Fort Myers, Fla., area. Another 568 people with an average family income of $274,614 moved to the Naples, Fla., area.
Overall, 413,276 people moved from the state and 388,701 arrived. Migration is just one component of population. Others include births and deaths. Wisconsin's total population increased during the period.
Quote:
"While some counties have benefited from new residents and the income they bring, the overall trend for the state is negative," the report said. "Wisconsin will always have obstacles such as weather to overcome, but high-paying jobs, good schools, and desirable recreation opportunities can attract people."
Study finds many wealthy retirees leave Wisconsin - JSOnline

I know some government folks who have left after they retired. Just off hand, 2 recent guys who left moved to California and one moved to Texas. There just isn't much keeping a person here other then employment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM

3,406 posts, read 4,189,036 times
For sure. Like I said in another thread, the only things keeping us here are our pesky jobs!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,230,675 times
I don't blame them for moving. The winters wear you down. I'd love to have a place up north someday for the summers and a place down south for winters. Thats an idea for when I retire

Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM

152 posts, read 324,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I don't blame them for moving. The winters wear you down. I'd love to have a place up north someday for the summers and a place down south for winters. Thats an idea for when I retire
X2^^ im running my company till i have enough cash then off to a warmer climate

Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 AM

3,925 posts, read 9,648,460 times
yep it's the weather. we moved south and we are no where near retiring; just could not stand winter any longer. Otherwise loved where we were and still have family in WI.
In fact we run into quite a few transplants here from the midwest and NE, they usually left the north due to weather, costs of living, etc. Rarely when we lived in WI did we know anyone who moved north by choice (though it can happen of course).
And i'm sure as people age, the cold gets tougher on many of them, and it's a lot easier to walk outside when it's above freezing and no snow on the ground.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,311,612 times
this is news? i thought everyone knew old people flock south (those who can afford it, of course)

Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM

8,163 posts, read 20,785,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
(those who can afford it, of course)
You mean only rich people live in Florida? who knew!

Wisconsin: Income Tax
Florida:

Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 PM

22,292 posts, read 38,915,512 times
Not everyone moves south. Lots of retirees in NH. I see them everywhere.

NH- no income or sales tax.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,123,121 times
Taxes certainly make a difference. Several people were calling in to a radio show this morning saying how they or people they knew would have stayed or went to WI were it not for taxes.
Of course, some go south because of the weather.
If I ever get finicky with the weather, I'll just go to San Diego. Southeastern summers are brutal.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM

22,292 posts, read 38,915,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Taxes certainly make a difference. Several people were calling in to a radio show this morning saying how they or people they knew would have stayed or went to WI were it not for taxes.
Of course, some go south because of the weather.
If I ever get finicky with the weather, I'll just go to San Diego. Southeastern summers are brutal.
Some people also just refuse to invest in good winter gear as well. The only time cold air bothers me is if it is very windy. Oh, you should go to the Northwoods if you haven't been there already. Make sure to take all the lettered highway roads in Vilas and Oneida counties. At least the tourists aren't there this time of year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin