U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,524,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I did forget about Cross Plains. It takes me about 11 minutes from University Ave & Deming Way in Middleton to get to downtown Cross Plains. It is within close proximity of Madison.
but... is that 11 mins on a bike?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,109,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
but... is that 11 mins on a bike?
No that's by car. Why not live in a small town close to a larger town and own an economical car. Like a Corolla, Yaris, Civic, Insight?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,524,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
No that's by car. Why not live in a small town close to a larger town and own an economical car. Like a Corolla, Yaris, Civic, Insight?
i know just was kidding, made that drive many a time. The OP mentioned no car, though these days while biking can be an option say in Madison (where buses can be utilized in poor weather or when needed to cross town) living further out without one could be tough especially since no mention was made of what they'd need to do for work, etc

Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i know just was kidding, made that drive many a time. The OP mentioned no car, though these days while biking can be an option say in Madison (where buses can be utilized in poor weather or when needed to cross town) living further out without one could be tough especially since no mention was made of what they'd need to do for work, etc

Good Point. I would feel comfortable biking in Spring, Summer, Fall. However I probably wouldn't bike on 14 unless they had a bike lane. Maybe someday the rail road tracks will be converted to a trail of Wisconsin & Southern decides not to use the tracks anymore.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM

114 posts, read 293,808 times
There is a group of local officials and citizens in the corridor from Middleton to Mazomanie that is called the "Good Neighbor Committee". A subcommittee of that group has spent years working on a plan for a shared-use trail that connects Middleton and Mazo via Cross Plains and Black Earth. Actually, the hope is for two trails in one: a paved trail and gravel trail side-by-side, in order to accommodate peds, bikes, horses, snowmobiles, etc. They just recently posted a full plan for the "Good Neighbor Trail", available for viewing here:
Trail Plan Document - Good Neighbor Committee

It would be pretty cool if this plan came to fruition. They will need to find funding wherever they can. The Middleton to Cross Plains segment may be a legitimate bicycle commuting route, so it could become eligible for DOT funding. The Black Earth to Mazo segment may benefit from the fact that the Wisconsin Heights HS & MS complex sits in between the two communities, and I know they've been pushing for Safe Routes to School funding.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM

328 posts, read 582,034 times
Any of the driftless villages/towns are top dogs in my opinion, not just the villages, but their locations. The land does a lot for them and adds unbelievable character to them all. Gays Mills is probably my favorite of them all, not nessarily the prettiest ( low incomes, some downtown buildings are vacant) but there is something about that place that is just absolutely enchanting. They have made several improvements as well in recent months with new trendy buildings gong up, a gas station, a new EMS station ? and several new townhouses, although I'm not sure who can afford them, they look expensive. I'd like to see a brighter future for this wonderful little town, hope they can get there and stay there. Of other places, I think Appleton is a really nifty place, their downtown is outstanding. Also, Egg Harbor in Door County is really cool. Middleton is great, but I've lived here my entire life so it doenst phase me as much as it would if I hadnt lived here the last 26 years, still think their "downtown" is lacking compared to other places, Mineral Point, Boscobel, Richland Center, Viroqua, Mazomanie, Darlington, Mt Horeb, Shullsburg, Monroe. One more place...Stevens Point, pretty lively place for what it is. While the venturing around can be a bit confusing(they rerouted some roads a few months ago) very neat downtown and just an enjoyable place to visit.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Any time I see a "I want to live in a cozy, old-fashioned small town" thread anywhere on C-D, I give my usually unwanted advice: don't do it unless you have friends or family with deep roots there, or maybe if it's a university town accustomed to strangers. Because that's what you'll be for the remainder of your life there, a stranger, an outsider. I know that from bitter experience.

They only want you there as an object of derision and gossip.

There are ways around that to some extent (join a popular church or a hunting/fishing club, and keep your mouth shut about how some things were better at your old residence), but even so you won't likely be welcomed for more than an initial "honeymoon" period.

I suggest Madison, because there are several pretty parts of town and it has an excellent bus system. It's also a fairly cosmopolitan university town accepting of outsiders, and generally speaking the "brain drain" from Wisconsin's small towns leads into Madison.
I agree with your post. If you arnt born and raised in a small town they will never really accept you. You'll be on the outside forever. However if your married and have a child born in a small town it may be a little friendlier in some ways. The child will be a native, but you never will. As far as Madison goes there are enough people that arn't natives so you can have a circle of friends etc. without feeling like your all alone.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM

328 posts, read 582,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I agree with your post. If you arnt born and raised in a small town they will never really accept you. You'll be on the outside forever. However if your married and have a child born in a small town it may be a little friendlier in some ways. The child will be a native, but you never will. As far as Madison goes there are enough people that arn't natives so you can have a circle of friends etc. without feeling like your all alone.
Thats why they're best to visit....not live...

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
Any of the driftless villages/towns are top dogs in my opinion, not just the villages, but their locations. The land does a lot for them and adds unbelievable character to them all. Gays Mills is probably my favorite of them all, not nessarily the prettiest ( low incomes, some downtown buildings are vacant) but there is something about that place that is just absolutely enchanting. They have made several improvements as well in recent months with new trendy buildings gong up, a gas station, a new EMS station ? and several new townhouses, although I'm not sure who can afford them, they look expensive. I'd like to see a brighter future for this wonderful little town, hope they can get there and stay there. Of other places, I think Appleton is a really nifty place, their downtown is outstanding. Also, Egg Harbor in Door County is really cool. Middleton is great, but I've lived here my entire life so it doenst phase me as much as it would if I hadnt lived here the last 26 years, still think their "downtown" is lacking compared to other places, Mineral Point, Boscobel, Richland Center, Viroqua, Mazomanie, Darlington, Mt Horeb, Shullsburg, Monroe. One more place...Stevens Point, pretty lively place for what it is. While the venturing around can be a bit confusing(they rerouted some roads a few months ago) very neat downtown and just an enjoyable place to visit.

I agree with alot of what you touch base on. Remember Gays Mills has been affected many times by floods, thats why they moved a majority of the town.

Drawk I didn't know you resided in Middleton?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM

8,566 posts, read 7,469,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
agreed. La Cross and Prairie Du Chien are nice. My Grafton suggestion at the beginning of the thread was more for the what the county as a whole has to offer for someone younger or who wants more amenities both commercially and night-life. Plus the abundance of parks, fitness centers, bike paths, and general upscale feel, combined with lake michigan. A lot to offer in that county as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or