Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

Yes, Wisconsin has this same trait in many areas around the state. I would venture to say it's an Upper Midwest trait, not just Minnesota. Just like the Seattle freeze. Probably not limited exclusively to that one area.

People in this part of the country are friendly, but reserved. Good at small talk and being polite, but lacking a desire to reach out, change, adapt, meet new people, shake things up socially or interact with people who are different from the norm (newbies, this is you).

The one difference I would say is that in Wisconsin, if the other person reaches out (and by that I mean adapting to the natives ways), there is a better chance of a real friendship or meaningful contact happening. But in general, there are more people proportioanlty than in the rest of the country who value conformity and understated personality traits. There may be differences between Minnesota and Wisconsin, but overall, the "freeze" or superficial niceness is a regional trait IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM

101 posts, read 200,035 times
Minnesotans are more cold, introverted.
Wisconsinites tend to be warmer, more extroverted.

Last edited by fonitin; 07-03-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
I agree with everything you said, and have heard as much from people outside both states. That said, the two states are about as similar as any throughout the country overall.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Minnesota and Wisconsin tend to have a similar social culture. I find the northern and western parts of Wisconsin to be the most similar to Minnesota culturally whereas the southeast 1/4 of the state and Milwaukee tend to have a bit more of an extroverted populace overall.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,052 times
As someone who has lived my entire life in southern Wisconsin - roughly half in Madison and half in the Milwaukee area (which is where my family is from) - I have to say that I find Milwaukeeans to be very friendly, while Madisonians tend to be more leukwarm. The friendlier Madisonians I've known have been from rural areas (Richland Center, Wausau, Argyle, etc.). In both areas, though, I do think there's a tendency to be superficially friendly while holding back a bit socially, especially among older people. Part of this is the German and Scandinavian heritage showing itself, so if you're from some other region of the country, try not to take it personally. A lot of us want to get to know you slowly and be sure we can trust you before we let you into our inner circles, but once you're there, you're there for life. There's also a pretty high tolerance for eccentric behavior in my experience, especially out in the country, so whether you're accepted or not doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how well you seem to fit in. Anyone can make friends here provided they're considerate and not too pushy.

Also, to be truthful, I am more likely to extend myself to an outsider than another Wisconsinite at this point in my life. I might be unusual in this regard, but anyone who would actually choose to move here automatically earns some respect from me and I'll go out of my way for such a person without the customary caution first.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times
Just moving to Wisconsin, I'm finding most people are very friendly and helpful. Even if I'm from Illinois! Since I'm also slow to make good friends, it should be just right for me to take some time to get to know people.

I might be unusual in this regard, but anyone who would actually choose to move here automatically earns some respect from me and I'll go out of my way for such a person without the customary caution first.

I'll look out for you petite d!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
My mother, myself, and another co-worker I work with who is from the Chicago suburbs noted the following about people out here in eastern South Dakota/western Minnesota versus from eastern WI/Chicago area... people in and around Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison are what might be called more 'real' or 'in your face' .. they are not afraid to tell you what they really think to your face as much as people out here, who are more polite to your face but then will talk about you behind your back so everyone knows everything about everyone, they just hear all the information indirectly.

People could be described as 'simple' out here, also passive... afraid to stick up for themselves. I prefer eastern WI personally but whatever the differences are not huge especially when you leave the larger metro areas and get into the smaller towns in the countryside.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
My mother, myself, and another co-worker I work with who is from the Chicago suburbs noted the following about people out here in eastern South Dakota/western Minnesota versus from eastern WI/Chicago area... people in and around Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison are what might be called more 'real' or 'in your face' .. they are not afraid to tell you what they really think to your face as much as people out here, who are more polite to your face but then will talk about you behind your back so everyone knows everything about everyone, they just hear all the information indirectly.

People could be described as 'simple' out here, also passive... afraid to stick up for themselves. I prefer eastern WI personally but whatever the differences are not huge especially when you leave the larger metro areas and get into the smaller towns in the countryside.
This is a completely accurate description. I lived in North Dakota before returning to Wisconsin. There is an almost pathological avoidance of saying things bluntly in the Dakotas. At the same time, I've never been around folks so willing to, quite literally, give you the shirts off their back when you are in need. Still, the whole, "not saying what needs to be said" thing was frustrating for me and there was an excessive amount of talking behind peoples' backs rather than just telling them to their faces.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Default Wisconsin Nice aka Wisconsin BS Salesmanship

Yes, this is true. I was born in NE WI but grew up mostly and went to college in Chicago, live in Milwaukee now and cant stand doing business with people. Its one thing to have someone say hello at a bank, fine, dont care. But try renting an apartment or buying insurance- these people will talk to you like your grandmother does! It is a very fake kind of niceness which is used to cross boundaries so they can guilt trip you into "relationship building". That is the Wisconsin scheme here, business and friendship are unhealthily intermingled. In Chicago we draw the line between business and friendship, business that gets to the point and friendship that is authentic - no BS!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
A Wisconsinite is miles more prome to tell you just what is on their mind and how they -truly- feel about something, or about you for that matter.
Agreed. I live right on the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I'm always around people who were born and raised on either side of it.

Yes, there is a "Wisconsin nice", but it is a little different from "Minnesota nice" in precisely the manner you described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin