U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
 
102 posts, read 163,451 times
Reputation: 116
I don't know much about the quality of life, but Lake Mills is almost exactly halfway between the two. According to Google Maps, it is 30 minutes either way from the I-94 interchange in Lake Mills to either downtown Oconomowoc or the Capitol Square in Madison. According to the Jefferson Co website, the City of Lake Mills voted 1228-1140 for Walker over Barrett, but 903-750 for Kloppenburg over Prosser and 1779-1341 for Obama over McCain. It is close enough to Dane County that with the prevailing wind, you can likely smell the liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
664 posts, read 647,872 times
Reputation: 732
After reading this thread, one can see how open and welcoming the conservatives will be to your ideas. To the poster named nidex who is so against bumper stickers and signs, last I checked we had free speech in this country, and we don't need to keep our opinions to ourselves. Why don't you move to a dictatorship where people are too frightened to say what they really think? I cherish people's right to state their opinion, protest, put signs up, etc.--even if they don't agree with me.

Yesterday, I saw a couple of elderly tea party people--barely able to stand--holding signs at an intersection here in Albuquerque. I couldn't disagree more with these people, but God bless 'em for being politically engaged.

The people who frustrate me, are the adults who have no idea what is going on in this country. People who don't take the slightest trouble to read a paper or watch the news. Without an informed and engaged electorate, we won't have a democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
 
87 posts, read 65,874 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by craptacular View Post
I don't know much about the quality of life, but Lake Mills is almost exactly halfway between the two.
Since they grooved the interstate, lake mills always has a dull roar in the background. That may be good for some though as they won't be able to hear others talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM
 
87 posts, read 65,874 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
adults who have no idea what is going on in this country. People who don't take the slightest trouble to read a paper or watch the news. Without an informed and engaged electorate...
rotflmao!!!

reading something from the leftist dominated dead tree or mainstream video news media....is even vaguely considered to be informative? and of course, 'unbiased'? lol!!

God, that's funny. Thanks, you just made my night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM
 
2,739 posts, read 5,528,853 times
Reputation: 2174
In general, when you leav the Madison suburbs, you leave the liberalness behind. You will see signs supporting Govenor Walker as soon as you pass Cottage Grove, even in Dane County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: East Side Milwaukee
651 posts, read 792,899 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
After reading this thread, one can see how open and welcoming the conservatives will be to your ideas. To the poster named nidex who is so against bumper stickers and signs, last I checked we had free speech in this country, and we don't need to keep our opinions to ourselves. Why don't you move to a dictatorship where people are too frightened to say what they really think? I cherish people's right to state their opinion, protest, put signs up, etc.--even if they don't agree with me.
Yeah, it's amusing to watch some of these right-wingers. They don't get that decent people don't want to live around hate filled people. In my experience, living in a 'purple' area forces people to use their manners, they never know who they're going to be talking to. It's when you get in a singular political environment when the whack-jobs show their true colors.

When someone mentioned they don't want to live in an area that's entirely right-wing, it's almost like watching the stages of grief unfold on this thread.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance.

I would say we're in the middle of the bargaining stage right now, give this thread a couple days to run its course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
4,898 posts, read 2,948,775 times
Reputation: 5015
As someone who has a business in Oconomowoc, I actually consider it to be fairly balanced and moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,918 times
Reputation: 12
Yes, born and raised. I lived in Canada for 15 years and returned in 2010 (to a royal mess). My family (Mom's) has been Democrat for at least four generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
No, most of this state is purple outside the Fox Valley & MKE suburbs. Are you even from WI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: East Side Milwaukee
651 posts, read 792,899 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMartin67 View Post
Yes, born and raised. I lived in Canada for 15 years and returned in 2010 (to a royal mess). My family (Mom's) has been Democrat for at least four generations.
Hi, that comment was directed at the other poster I quoted, I was calling into question their idea that WI is a red state. I'm sure you'll fit in most areas of WI, as long as you respect other people, whatever their politics.

I hope this thread has been of some use to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,918 times
Reputation: 12
Oops. Yes, is has been useful. I don't I'll venture further than Sun Prairie. Lol.
-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Hi, that comment was directed at the other poster I quoted, I was calling into question their idea that WI is a red state. I'm sure you'll fit in most areas of WI, as long as you respect other people, whatever their politics.

I hope this thread has been of some use to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top