U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,542 times

Advertisements

My husband may be offered a position in Oconomowoc. This past weekend, we drove out to look for somewhere about halfway between Oconomowoc and Madison (I work in Madison). I was alarmed by all the "stand with Walker" signs and we definitely do not want to live in a Republican/Conservative area. Can anyone tell me of towns that are liberal? Or do we simply have to live near Madison? I don't want him to have a really long commute.
Thx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM

12,638 posts, read 7,887,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMartin67 View Post
My husband may be offered a position in Oconomowoc. This past weekend, we drove out to look for somewhere about halfway between Oconomowoc and Madison (I work in Madison). I was alarmed by all the "stand with Walker" signs and we definitely do not want to live in a Republican/Conservative area. Can anyone tell me of towns that are liberal? Or do we simply have to live near Madison? I don't want him to have a really long commute.
Thx
Why don't you move to the inner city of Milwaukee? There are plenty of liberals there and you won't have to deal with the horror of those lawn signs.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,738,698 times
Yeah I wouldn't want to live in an higher income county or suburb with the best schools in the state and the lowest property taxes in the MKE area and have access to all the lakes and trails and shopping there is. So much for tolerant and compassionate liberals huh, is a conservative person that bad? must be, I thought I was easy and fun to get along with. All this time it turns out liberals don't want to live next to me.

Living in a conservative/liberal area is way overblown on both sides. It really doesn't matter when it comes to quality of life. BTW not all stand with walker sign are republicans or conservatives.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,069,462 times
Kmartin76,

You would not like Waukesha County as it is a reliable bastion of the GOP.
Look at the voting record. It is a consistently Republican voting block.
Of course along with that demographic; you also get high quality of life, high wages, excellent schools and other "smart folk" elements.

We lived there 15 years and enjoyed out time there very much. Now we live in goofy Portland Oregon. Nice place to live if you can take the silly libs for the entertainment value they offer.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,592,419 times
You're not going to find much in the way of liberal-dominant places between Oconomowoc and Madison, but liberals (or "democrats" or pick whatever label) will nevertheless be a significant minority. Perhaps Watertown would suit you--not so much because of politics, but more because it's a fairly developed town between the places you mention. For what it's worth, I'm left-leaning and live in Mequon, a rather conservative suburb of Milwaukee. I like the slower pace, the proximity of woods and parks, and other things about the area. People here are generally more conservative, but there are many points of view represented, including leftist ones. It's actually refreshing to live in a place that's not a leftist fishbowl.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,080,655 times
The "Stand With Walker" signs are equally as bad as the "Recall Walker" signs. The world would be a much better place if people kept their political opinions to themselves unless otherwise asked for them. I can't help but think "hey, guess what? Nobody gives a **** what you think!" when I see political bumper stickers or the like.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM

711 posts, read 1,529,164 times
Quote:
Thx
As you can see, the Milwaukee suburbs are some of the reddest areas of the state. It's kind of ironic that those posters are so offended that you don't want to live near them, but who would want to live near people that wrote those comments?

The closest community that isn't 'red' is probably Wauwatosa, it's pretty purple despite what others may say. Personally, I prefer to live closer to where I work... just so I can enjoy my life more & not my commute.

Good luck on your search.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM

87 posts, read 135,374 times
Quote:
(I work in Madison). I was alarmed by all the "stand with Walker"
I think a lot of people outside of madison would prefer you stay in madison.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM

711 posts, read 1,529,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchomps View Post
I think a lot of people outside of madison would prefer you stay in madison.
No, most of this state is purple outside the Fox Valley & MKE suburbs. Are you even from WI?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM

52 posts, read 102,194 times
Waukesha county is a great place. It is far more tolerant of liberals than Dane CO.is of conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin