Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 54,997 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Montello and found the people of the town so hateful and so nasty to us that we sold our house there and moved away.

Has anyone else had experience with the meanness of the people of Montello?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:26 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Default What happened ?

What exactly happened that was so bad? The people were mean and hateful for no reason? That does not sound like the normal small town Wisconsinite.
I don't know anything specific about Montello, except that a co-worker has a place just outside of there, and he is definitely a strange duck.
There are some messed up people in this state, largely due to drinking, in my opinion. It's quite the pastime here. But I think most folks are OK.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 11,096 times
I know nothing of Montello, but the average small town in SW Wisconsin (where I am from) can be very unwelcoming to newcomers. While I wouldn't say anyone has been mean to us, my wife and I have never really been accepted into the community. I think this is typical of small towns everywhere...they can be very clicky (sorry, don't know the correct spelling of clicky).

I'm wondering, what happened that was so hateful?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 AM

22 posts, read 37,837 times
Default Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmar View Post
...they can be very clicky (sorry, don't know the correct spelling of clicky).

The word you're looking for is "clique," so "cliquey." Same pronunciation, different spelling.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 PM

80 posts, read 562,654 times
We lived in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for a year and are now back home in MN. Fond du Lac is close to Montello. We had to drive through there every time we went back home to MN to visit. I can't say anything about Montello, but if the people there are anything like the people in Fond du Lac, I totally agree! The people were very unfriendly in Fond du Lac. I am so glad to be back home in MN.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:49 PM

16 posts, read 74,852 times
Default Eastern Wisconsin is odd

I know people in Eastern side of Wisconsin are a strange breed. People often keep to themselves and seems like because they have so much family in their town that they do not meet as much people. My neighborhood and my friend's neighborhood in Green Bay seems like everyone keeps to themselves. They already have their own friends or family and do not want anymore people in their life.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:39 AM

I've read the last post twice and still don't get the point. And non-fishermen will understand it even less.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 143,113 times
I thought the point was, there is no point

This thread and some others with the sweeping generalizations of entire communities/regions being "mean" to "outsiders" would be humorous if it wasn't for the obvious fact that some of these folks really feel this way.

As someone who lived in one house my whole growing-up years, and then picked up and moved "out west", ultimately living in 5 different states and 9 different communities over 25 years, I think I can speak from experience about being an outsider living in new urban and rural communities. Life is what you make of it. Some people are friendly, others not so. I am a naturally outgoing, social, fun-loving person, and, as my father so aptly puts it, see the world through rose-colored glasses. I would no sooner blame a community for being "mean" to me than I would ask for a hole in my head. On the other hand, I have come across folks who view the world and other people with suspicion and negativity...and I suspect that probably invites suspicion and aversion from other people. Not much to do about it, I guess.

I look forward to my relocation to da northwoods in a year or so. Once more I will be a newcomer in a small town, but what an adventure it will be. More interesting and fun people to get to know...

I guess I will have to learn how to slow down, tho...I am one of the guilty out-of-stater speeders. Probably from my years in Montana, where it took forever to get anywhere...distance was sometimes measured by how far you were from Walmart (once it was 6 hours!).

Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Where is original poster ?

Doesn't look like the original poster is going to post again with more specifics, or answers to questions.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 54,997 times
Default The original poster

Hi again. I'm still waiting to hear from people who have had experience with Montello, Wisconsin, although I appreciate all the other people who have responded. Please do not dismiss this because I haven't spoken recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin