U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 846,764 times

Advertisements

Sorry for sounding simplistic... I don't live in Wisconsin and haven't followed the situation closely. Only seen the drama on both sides from news reports.

I know something about limiting the unions rights, but what could actually happen to teachers if Walker wins? Is he planning mass layoffs? Will he cut their pay? Take away benefits?

I believer it's not only teachers that would be affected, but they're jobs and situation is the one I'm most curious about.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM

128 posts, read 155,788 times
Nothing, he has no need to cut more budget

typically it's unions causing layoffs because they prefer it over pay cuts.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,984,955 times
The reforms are already in place. The sky hasn't fallen.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,453,421 times
Interesting that the only info this out of stater has heard is the teachers will be laid off, pay cut, etc. Gee...I wonder where they heard THAT from!!?? Too bad the truth isn't published instead, ey?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,361,100 times
Time will tell for teachers and students of Wisconsin. If wages are slowly lowered over time so the state becomes the haves (don't want to pay taxes), the have-nots (can't afford to pay taxes) and retirees (living off of Social Security), there will not be much of a tax base for Wisconsin to grow.

If education funds are reduced, the most educated will leave the state for better opportunities for them and their children and progressive companies will look past Wisconsin because it lacks a growing, educated workforce, thus perpetuating the cycle. Too soon to say how it will turn out.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time will tell for teachers and students of Wisconsin. If wages are slowly lowered over time so the state becomes the haves (don't want to pay taxes), the have-nots (can't afford to pay taxes) and retirees (living off of Social Security), there will not be much of a tax base for Wisconsin to grow.

If education funds are reduced, the most educated will leave the state for better opportunities for them and their children and progressive companies will look past Wisconsin because it lacks a growing, educated workforce, thus perpetuating the cycle. Too soon to say how it will turn out.
That's a pretty big "if". No one is saying Education Funds will be reduced. You sure think you have a lot of insight into what's going on here in our state for someone who lives on the other side of the country.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 2,361,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That's a pretty big "if". No one is saying Education Funds will be reduced. You sure think you have a lot of insight into what's going on here in our state for someone who lives on the other side of the country.
I've been pretty restrained in what I really think is going to happen to Wisconsin but I'll wait to see how it plays out. You guys are now like a big lab experiment.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-07-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

872 posts, read 2,116,308 times
I thought Walker had the teachers start paying for some of their benefits so that he could keep from closing schools and laying off 100's of teachers. It was a very unpopular, but creative way to balance the budget and it worked. Both my husband and I work in the private sector and over the last few years, our pension benefits have been taken away and our health insurance premiums have skyrocketed. I think Walker is doing to the state what has already been happening in the private sector. If there's less money coming in, then tough decisions need to be made. If you're given a choice to either lose your job or take on hit on your benefits, which would you choose? Walker made the decision for them. I think if given the choice, most would have chosen what Walker chose. It's upsetting that the crappy economy has caused stuff like this to happen.
Also, I never heard Barrett say what his solution to the problem was. His platform seemed to only be to reverse what Walker had done...and then what? Raise our taxes? Lay off state workers? I'm sure there would have been a recall petition out on him within months as well. There is no way to please everyone.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM

^^Yeah. What she said.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM

135 posts, read 171,064 times
Teacher jobs have been getting saved since Act 10 went into place. Some of the school districts that are having problems rushed in new contracts and didn't get to work with the things that Act 10 allows......like saving $500k in healthcare savings every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin