U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
Default moving to wisconsin

Me and my wife are moving to Wisconsin in a month. Should I change my drivers license and license plates right away or I can drive with IL license plates for a while. I just renewed them for $99 in Feb and then I paid $135 for transfer to another vehicle. Can I wait until feb 2013 to switch to WI plates?
How are insurance rates for WI compared to IL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 AM

6,774 posts, read 11,466,847 times
You can keep your IL plates until they expire. Insurance rates will be lower or higher depending on where you are moving from say if you are moving from Downtown Chicago to the countryside in Walworth County your rates are sure to drop. Overall I think WI rates are lower than IL. When I moved just within the city of Milwaukee I moved from one zip code to the zip code right next to me and since that zip code has a lot more accidents and more uninsured drivers my rates went up a decent bit but that's in the city I'm sure you won't see a huge change in many of the suburbs or cities outside of Milwaukee.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
Default re

thanks. I am moving to Eau Claire WI actually. They claim to be the second safest city in America so my rate should probably drop. Can I report the new address to the insurance company so that they can adjust my rate but wait until my plates expire to get WI plates and driver's license? In IL I moved from one suburb of Chicago to another, I notified my insurance company for change of address and they sent me a new card but I didn't renew my drivers license. Cops looked at the insurance card, they looked at the drivers license and they didn't say anything. Sometimes they asked me where I actually lived.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM

6,774 posts, read 11,466,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irs031 View Post
Can I report the new address to the insurance company so that they can adjust my rate but wait until my plates expire to get WI plates and driver's license?
Yes, enjoy EC, it's a nice town!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,294,897 times
You can find many of the answers you are seeking at the state's DMV website, here: Registration and title information for new residents - WisDOT. You don't need to get your Wisconsin driver's licenses in advance, but you do need to get them within 60 days of moving here. As Milwaukee City correctly notes, you can wait on the plates until the Illinois ones are about to expire.

As far as insurance rates are concerned, do be aware that state law allows insurance companies to use an applicant's credit rating as one of the factors in setting rates. I know a few folks who found that a most unpleasant surprise. If you know yet which ZIP code you'll be moving to, and if your current insurance company does business in Wisconsin, you may want to ask your agent for a quote on insuring your current vehicles in your future ZIP code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin