Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'll take below zero over 100 degrees F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
well for some, not for all lol.

As I say now that i'm in SC, you dont shovel humidity
It never gets cold enough in SC to kill the bugs, though
I'll take the snow and sun in winter instead of damp and grey like many areas of the Southeast

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personally, I'll take below zero over 100 degrees F.
I usually draw the line at around -30F. Being out on a trail in the NEK (Northeast Kingdom of Vermont) with an enormous number of layers is not fun.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I usually draw the line at around -30F. Being out on a trail in the NEK (Northeast Kingdom of Vermont) with an enormous number of layers is not fun.
I look at the cold like this. If it gets cold, at least you can put on some layers. If it gets hot, you go for the A/C because there is only so little you can wear before an arrest is in order.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
I look at the cold like this. If it gets cold, at least you can put on some layers.
This is actually a fallacy, the cold gets into your bones and you cannot warmup. In winter I take multiple very hot showers just to warm up through out the day and it doesn't work. Layers can only do so much, extreme cold vs extreme heat, give me extreme heat at least I can move my body and walk around when it's -15 outside you can't do anything. Plus once the sun sets during extreme heat it because beautiful out

Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
I'd rather have -10 with low humidity and dew point then 30 degrees with higher humidity and dew point. The dampness in the air makes it not so bearable. There is something about dry cool area.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This is actually a fallacy, the cold gets into your bones and you cannot warmup. In winter I take multiple very hot showers just to warm up through out the day and it doesn't work. Layers can only do so much, extreme cold vs extreme heat, give me extreme heat at least I can move my body and walk around when it's -15 outside you can't do anything. Plus once the sun sets during extreme heat it because beautiful out
I've walked around in extreme heat. It feels horrible. I basically can't move around much or I get drenched in sweat. Another thing to understand is that I don't have a car, and I live in the suburbs of Hotlanta. I basically either walk around or bike. I would rather do that in a colder climate.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It never gets cold enough in SC to kill the bugs, though
I'll take the snow and sun in winter instead of damp and grey like many areas of the Southeast
that's a good point, the bugs and snakes dont mind the mild winters here lol, just something to get used to i guess.
I cant speak for other areas of the SE, and we've only been down here 3+ years now, but it's pretty much sunny here year round for us. That's what helps the winter temps; on colder days some am's can hit the teens but it's 45-50 by lunch. So quite manageable. And as much as i used to enjoy driving on the lakes back home in winter back in the day (who doesnt like spinning aroundon the ice), i prefer being able to take the boat out in Jan....

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
I've walked around in extreme heat. It feels horrible. I basically can't move around much or I get drenched in sweat. Another thing to understand is that I don't have a car, and I live in the suburbs of Hotlanta. I basically either walk around or bike. I would rather do that in a colder climate.
with you not having a car, i can see your point then in summer down here. And of course we're talking extremes on this thread, so for comparisons that would be like you having to walk in the dead of winter in WI. Neither one is comfortable, or on some days even safe. Walking or biking in 100's can be as hard as walking in a snowstorm or with wind chills well below zero.

We loved WI, spent our entire lives there until 2009 (40+ yrs there); just grew to really hate the winters as we did not enjoy outdoor activities for those months and felt we were hibernating. Didnt help that the last 2 winters there we had 100+" of snow each time lol. We find down here, even on "hot" days, we can still find things to do outside if we want. We would not do that in Wi winter. Heck we even put the top down in the evening on those 109 degree days last week, once the sun dropped as it wasn't that bad at all.

As noted before it's all personal preference, what one can acclimate to, and what one can enjoy. At least for my WI family and friends, the heat is about to snap and 80's is soon to return (as i know most my family HATES the heat lol)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 978,344 times
Below zero can give you frost bite in less than a minute.....loss of limbs

100 degrees can kill you if overexertion takes place yourself and don't drink enough fluids.

In 100 degree temps you can have ac or spend time in a store looking around to cool off. In the negative degree temps even being in a store may not warm you up.

For me, my body can't handle the severe cold temps anymore. Over the last several years it has been getting worse and worse. Last winter I didn't spend any time outside when I didn't need to since my body would freeze immediately even with many layers on. So I have to move. When it reached 100 degrees this week I was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin