U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 23,310 times
Default Moving to Onalaska or LaCrosse WI

We may be moving to WI, with my husband working in either Onalaska or LaCrosse. I am looking for the best schools in a great neighborhood, especially high school and junior high. My daughter plays club volleyball, so a team close by would be a plus.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM

13 posts, read 59,830 times
I too am looking for info about Onalaska but so far no luck on this board. I did receive a brochure about Onalaska from the city website and found that very helpful. We plan to visit a couple of times before making the decision to buy. It does seem like a very nice town however. Good luck to you.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Onalaska is sort of the new developing suburban area of La Crosse. Onalaska has a lot of restaurants and stores. The newer developments tend to occur in Onalaska. The two cities are pretty much connected. The bluff scenery around that area is very nice. The town(s) are located right along the Mississppi River. La Crosse is a college town as well. (The University of Wisconsin at La Crosse) The town has a fairly large student population. The city is located about between Minneapolis and Madison.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 PM

58 posts, read 143,665 times
Living in La Crosse for the many years before I just recently moved out I will say La Crosse is a fine choice for scenery. In reality quality of life is good but well paying jobs are hard to find. In terms of new development Onalaska is pretty full at this point in terms of large new residential developments. Commercially there is some land left around I-90 but I don't expect they will get much from it in terms of jobs. The new area to build is Holmen. Tragically the Holmen school district is struggling to keep up with the added growth and the taxpayers will only take so much. Soon I expect their schools will be dealing with overcrowding issues (Within 5 years). In terms of areas not to buy in La Crosse, most people avoid the north side of La Crosse and any area from 16th street to the river. These areas are going through the classic central city shift in terms of income, demographics, and crime. In terms of schools, the La Crosse school district will offer the most opportunities in terms of AP classes and honors in high school, but recently Holmen and Onalaska have picked up some of these courses as well. Some people also send their kids to West Salem but in the district does not have the numbers to support AP and honors courses. I would pick between La Crosse Central, Onalaska, or Holmen High Schools. Most people have always considered Logan to be the under preforming high school in town. In terms of middle schools avoid Lincoln and Logan middle school in La Crosse. Pick from Onalaska, Longfellow (La Crosse), or Holmen. If you want to avoid high taxes do NOT live in the city of La Crosse. For a $150,000 home you will pay over 3,500 a year in property taxes. In Onalaska for the equivalent price you will pay 2,500. If you still want to live in the La Crosse school district many people live in the town of Shelby or Medary outside of city limits so they can send their kids to the schools while avoiding the city's high taxes. In terms of volleyball I am not familiar club volleyball but I know the YMCA in La Crosse and Onalaska and the Boy and Girls club do have volleyball teams. Although high school and middle school volleyball are the most popular for players. In terms of a great neighborhoods if you are looking for old the area around Cass St between Losey Blvd and West Ave is popular. Many people with kids live around 33rd street on the south side although many of them have been moving farther south into new homes being built by Mt. La Crosse.(For the La Crosse school district) In terms of the north side of town, the area around ceder creek country club has been popular (for the Holmen School District)and the neighborhoods in greens coulee near coulee golf bowl(for the Onalaska school district). If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 23,310 times
Thanks for all the great information! I have looked up homes online and the homes in Onalaka around the coulee golf bowl look nice. Most importantly I want my kids to go the best schools possible. Ap and honor are important. if anyone else has information about schools in these areas please let me know, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:22 PM

277 posts, read 359,819 times
I have been around LaCrosse for many years and have worked close with the schools. Either school is great but any kid will have equal of chances of getting into trouble at either high school, Central or Logan.

I would agree with the other posts 100% on LaCrosse being bad for taxes it is one of the highest taxed places in the state according to the tax payer alliance stats. A $150,000. home will cost you about $4200. per year in taxes.

The southside of LaCrosse from 16th Street to the river would be very good to avoid due to potental for crime. The nice housing areas are the outlying areas as mentioned in other posts.

There are very good builders in the area some ways to check tem out would be to check with local lenders, police departments, lumber dealers and wisconsin's ccap is on line.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,864 times
Hi! You mentioned that "In terms of areas not to buy in La Crosse, most people avoid the north side of La Crosse and any area from 16th street to the river." 16th street is rather long. Is all of the area west of 16th St. to the river like this?? Or is there a cross street that demarcates good from bad, in your opinion? We have considered a move there, but would like to live in town, but in a very safe area. We have been looking at Cass St. and King St. between 14th and 18th. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM

58 posts, read 143,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhouse View Post
Hi! You mentioned that "In terms of areas not to buy in La Crosse, most people avoid the north side of La Crosse and any area from 16th street to the river." 16th street is rather long. Is all of the area west of 16th St. to the river like this?? Or is there a cross street that demarcates good from bad, in your opinion? We have considered a move there, but would like to live in town, but in a very safe area. We have been looking at Cass St. and King St. between 14th and 18th. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
Great Question. A few years ago I tracked crime in the city over the summer. The one area between the river and 16th that has low crime and probably has one of the lowest crime rates in the city is around the rich homes on Cass St. From 16th to West Ave between Main St and Cameron Ave is pretty wealthy and has very low crime. Past Main St is safe but then you start to really get into University housing which is something you probably do not want to be around.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Also, it seems like this area of WI has quite high property taxes. You should probably be aware of that.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,589 times
Default Moving to La Crosse

I am moving to La Crosse August 17. My company does not provide a relocation package. It seems difficult to find a two bedroom two bath home. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin