U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,134 times

Advertisements

I was disturbed to read the post that was so negative about Merrill. I would like to offer another opinion. I moved to Merrill with my family when I was a child and completed most of my schooling there. I attended elementary, middle and high school in Merrill and the schools are known to have a very good academic reputation. There are some very great, knowledgeable teachers in the school district and I know that I received a very high level of education there because I went on to a very difficult college and graduate school, where I graduated with honors and was at the top of my classes. My education in the Merrill school system more than prepared me for college and graduate school.

As far as the rest of the comments, yes, Merrill is a small town with small stores and a small downtown. Yet, it is not in my opionion a dying town. Many successful people who grew up in Merrill and then left to attend college return because they have strong roots to the community and it is a great, safe place to raise children. Wausau is a great place as well, but it lacks the small town feel. In Merrill there is a nice sense of community where people care about each other and help those in need. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

So, I think that Merrill is what you make it. There are some great people in the community, the city is very pretty and it is in a good central location. It is a nice place if you are looking for a small town feeling where there is little traffic, the people are friendly, and there is a very good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM

537 posts, read 1,339,558 times
We have also discovered life in WI is what you make it. You can sit home and moan that there is nothing to do. People are unfriendly, people hibernate for 5 months etc. We chose to be active. We check for festivals, snowshoe, walk, hike,etc. I have joined book clubs, volunteer for Hospice. I have plenty of friends and we enjoy all 4 seasons. And because we are out in winter we see lots of people also out. Tonight our neighbor is having a bonfire to bring in the New Year. We will be there.
We love the fair in Merrill and I love Council Grounds. We are planning on going on a candlelight snowshoe walk the next time they have one at the park.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 AM

68 posts, read 146,820 times
Well my family and I have been living in Merrill for two months now and we LOVE it. We have met so many friendly people here. My son has allready attended a birthday party for a boy in his class. On New Years eve our family was invited to go bowling with a lovely family that we've met here, they also invited about five other families to attend. We went bowling, then went for some pizza, and returned to their house to play some games. We had a blast everyone was so nice and my kids loved playing with their kids also. It was one of most enjoyable New Years I have had in a long time. This would never would have happened back in Maryland. Everyone is so cold and isolated, for such a large population you can feel so alone and isolated. I don't miss the congestion in traffic as well as population, as well as the high crime rate and the lack of friendly people. My family and I are so glad that we made this move to Wisconsin and Merrill in particular. We feel that this will definitley be a great place to raise our kids. Aslo as far as the quality of the schools here in Merrill, well we lived in Catonsville in Maryland and their schools were considered to be some of the best in Maryland. My children attend Kate Goodrich elementary and it is more technically advanced and has more accredited teachers then that of the schools back in Maryland. There is such a demand for teachers back east that they grab them up as soon as they aquire their bachelors even before they are state board certified. Well enough about the things we didn't like about Maryland, I'm just going to focus on the things that we love about here. Happy new year to everybody and I hope you can all feel as blessed as we do.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
Merrill is a small town mainly for retirement. I only live here cuz my kids have family otherwise I would be gone, and might actually move soon. there are no job offers here. the only retail store is walmart. there is not any good eat in restaurants. I would suggest wausau over merrill. the schools are okay, but the sports teams are not that good. merrill is good if you don't care about sports or taking the drive to wausau to shop or eat out date night with the wife or kids. merrills is basically just a safe little town that has nothing to offer.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
iam looking to move to merrill any one know of any apts or cheap housing please let me know thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM

68 posts, read 146,820 times
I know that there are a fair number of houses that are rented out as well as a couple apartment complexes around, as far as the pricing on any of these I can not help you out on that end.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times
i am from merrill having moved away15 years ago or so. quite a few of my family members still live there. the schools are fine, if your children have any brains they should beable to get a decent college scholarship. they give away quite a few free rides to wisconsin colleges. i graduated about 50th in my class and recieved 3-4thousand and that was greater than 20 years ago. are there problems sure. there are problems in wausau also(the asian gangs, etc) in fact unless you live in fantasy land there will be problems. is there big name stores in merrill, no but it is a short drive to wausau if you need something. would i move back, probably.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 896 times
In spite of Wellstone's characterization of the city, most people love Merrill and enjoy living here. I know two businessmen who moved here from California when they could have chosen anywhere in the country with their pot of gold generated by 25 years of real estate appreciation pre 2006. They chose Merrill after traveling all over the county. If you would be willing to leave your email or phone number, I would be glad to talk to you directly about your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin