Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM

68 posts, read 213,696 times

Advertisements

I'm transfering with my work from Catonsville,MD. to Wausau,Wi. I found a house in Merrill,WI. I have two school age children, both in elementary school. I would like to know if anybody could give me any information on the schools in the Merrill school system and also the Merrill/Wausau area in general. I will moving there in the beginning of November. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
I live just south of Wausau. Wausau has a little more to offer then Merrill. Merrill is a nice small town. I don't know much about the schools.
Wausau has more shopping options. There is a mall, it is OK, nothing great. And the usual big box retailers spread around the area.
Good luck!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
I live just south of Wausau. Wausau has a little more to offer then Merrill. Merrill is a nice small town. I don't know much about the schools.
Wausau has more shopping options. There is a mall, it is OK, nothing great. And the usual big box retailers spread around the area.
Good luck!
Thanks, I noticed that your from Kronenwetter, I actually found a house there that I really liked a lot. In fact I was torn between the two but my wife and kids liked the house in Merrill better. But Kronenwetter seemed like a really nice place and I was told that the DC Everest schools were top notch. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:07 AM

I hope you enjoy Merrill. We always go to the county fair in Merrill every summer. It is a great little fair and it doesn't charge any admission.
I have never heard anything bad about Merrill schools so I am sure they are fine. Merrill has some great small town feel to it.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:00 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times
Default merrill is ok

but it takes time to get used to the one way streets, I have come out of the grocery store going the wrong twice!!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 AM

What are the grocery stores in Merrill?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Anybody Out There?

Is there anybody out there that either lives or knows about the Merrill area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM

There is a County Market in Merrill and also a Piggly Wiggly. There is a Walmart but it is old. They are trying to build a new one. I think more people shop in Wausau.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
merrill schools pretty much suck. there are worse around but wausau schools are quite a lot better. merrill is a dying community of mostly retired people. the younger generation generally leaves for good once off to college and the ones that stay are building meth labs or working $7 an hour jobs at one of the sliver factories. there are almost no good jobs there. lincoln county is meth lab central and drugs are a huge problem there.

merrill has no downtown to speak of anymore because wal-mart has come in and basically gutted it.

there is one big benefit to living there in that housing is so inexpensive. but that is because nobody wants to live there. there is a reason why so much of the population in that area is just out in the sticks way out of town. at least then you have a good chunk of land. the city is just a hole.

i grew up near that town and it is a god awful place. i wouldn't move back there in a million years.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 19,170 times
if you can get your kids in a private school, I would recommend that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin