Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,524,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
WTF is a "poisonous spider"??? If you have "poisonous" spiders in WI, I sure hope you called Guinness Book of World Records and reported that you found some as you'd be the first to find such a thing.
Apparently there've been sightings of black widow & brown recluse but it's only been like a couple times in the last 25 years, so very rare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,559,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Getting more and more sightings of cougars also but according to DNR wildlife managers escaped pen raised ones that original owners scared to say broke loose as get fined.

We had numerous reports here in my county about a cougar, a large cat-like creature.

"Nope, it was probably a fisher", or "it was closer or smaller than people thought".

Finally a few years ago someone got a video of it. Sure enough it was a cougar. Official story ........"Probably an escaped pet".

This is a cougar sightings map of Wisconsin.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/442/cougarsightingsdm9.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM

286 posts, read 1,148,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
WTF is a "poisonous spider"??? If you have "poisonous" spiders in WI, I sure hope you called Guinness Book of World Records and reported that you found some as you'd be the first to find such a thing.
Technically, aren't all spiders poisonous? Many are not a threat to humans simply because they can't chomp into us. Too small. I know some spiders are highly aggressive. The wolf spider and the grass spider will both try to run you down. And their bite hurts and does leave a nasty welt.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,275 times
We actually moved from Milwaukee, Wisconsin 3 years ago to San ANtonio. Although I get a little home sick for my family, I do love living is SA. Wisconsin can be beautiful especially around the holidays. I do miss snuggling up and watching old movie on snowy nites. As far as Jeffrey Dahlmer, I think you'll find them in almost every state. There just never discovered. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 PM

14,300 posts, read 14,547,221 times
The last time I had a "little" spider bite woke up the next morning with a major red line following the vein up my leg. Went to the allergists and got a shot of some antibiotic.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,508,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
We had numerous reports here in my county about a cougar, a large cat-like creature.

"Nope, it was probably a fisher", or "it was closer or smaller than people thought".

Finally a few years ago someone got a video of it. Sure enough it was a cougar. Official story ........"Probably an escaped pet".

This is a cougar sightings map of Wisconsin.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/442/cougarsightingsdm9.jpg (broken link)

Alot of these sightings probably are penned raised ecapee's, but they did say they are moving back into this area as was a original territory for them. Look at the deer popultion be easy meals. DNR just not going to say wild yet as cause panic. Supposedly alot near the great lakes.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,565,820 times
It's funny we're talking about Cougars because a few years ago my dad was driving down a highway on the outskirts of Portage by the Airport off I-39 and he told me he swears it was a cougar. I believe the guy whole-heartedly. Cougars are here.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,565,820 times
I was debating whether to post this or not, I've decided I will. On April 20th I decided to write to the Portage Daily Register Regarding the hunting of wolves in Wisconsin. Here is what I wrote.

Letter:
I love irony. What group in WI most wants to kill animals that live here?
The Conservation Congress.

Wolves have made a comeback, after being hunted to extinction in our state. Hunting these wolves would be more problems for us than leaving them alone. Imagine this, someone hunting a wolf and they startle the animal, causing it to escape to a safe area which could be an urban environment. Thus causing people to believe there is wolves in there neighborhood that need to be hunted. All because the wolf was startled.

I believe there should NOT be a "public" hunt for them now, regardless of the fact that a group of hunters got together and voted to hunt (wolves.)

Wolves are amazing, social animals. Most are harmless retired animals. If the hunting of Wolves were to occur in Wisconsin, it'd be comparable to the pointless hunting of Moose in New England. Both Mammals are socialable and are not as aggressive as most portray them. Isn't a Wolves diet usually Deer and small Mammals, not cattle?

I think the problem with our current policy is that farmers are reimbursed for livestock killed by wolves at a tiny fraction of the reimbursement for hunters using dogs to chase bear that they want to kill once they're run up a tree to get away from the dogs. why are farmers, working to feed us, not reimbursed more than bear hunters? is the bear hunting lobby stronger in this state than the farm lobby? that situation should be reversed. farmers deserve more, and bear hunters using dogs deserve less reimbursement for animals killed by wolves.
and farmers should still be able to take care of problem wolves.

Hunters should not be given the thrill of hunting such a magnificent animal like the wolf, just because a bunch of hunters voted in a meeting of hunters to be able to do so.

I think this hunt is more about "Blood Lust."

Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 48,058 times
Get a cat, you won't notice your bugs and mice.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 PM

537 posts, read 1,935,213 times
The ticks are horrible this year. We go into the woods and we spend an hour pulling them off. Mosquitoes are swarming now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin