Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM

51 posts, read 93,133 times

Advertisements

Hello, We have a potential job opportunity in Illinois at Great Lakes. I am from Illinois a small rural town but know the north suburbs of Illinois are very expensive and property taxes are also high.

If living in Wisconsin and commuting to Libertyville/Great Lakes area, where would you recommend? Schools, Safety and Outdoor Recreational opportunities are important. We have 2 kids age 9 and 6.

What would the commute be like? Is there a train from Wisconsin headed toward Chicago?

I'm dreading the harsh winter but I wouldn't consider it but for the job opportunity and being closer to family.

Or, is there anywhere in Illinois worth considering? I think our budget for a house would be between $250-$325K.

If Wisconsin, what do you like about living there?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhunt View Post
Hello, We have a potential job opportunity in Illinois at Great Lakes. I am from Illinois a small rural town but know the north suburbs of Illinois are very expensive and property taxes are also high.

If living in Wisconsin and commuting to Libertyville/Great Lakes area, where would you recommend? Schools, Safety and Outdoor Recreational opportunities are important. We have 2 kids age 9 and 6.

What would the commute be like? Is there a train from Wisconsin headed toward Chicago?

I'm dreading the harsh winter but I wouldn't consider it but for the job opportunity and being closer to family.

Or, is there anywhere in Illinois worth considering? I think our budget for a house would be between $250-$325K.

If Wisconsin, what do you like about living there?

Thanks for the help.
Consider Pleasant Prairie. It is very family oriented.

Metra North Line:

Metra Union Pacific North (UP-N) Schedule

Village of Pleasant Prairie

Browsing classifieds is free. Looking to rent or buy.

http://www.kenoshanews.com/home/

Homes for sale in Pleasant Prairie:

Pleasant Prairie, WI Homes for Sale & Real Estate | Homes.com

You might want to consider staying away from lakefront or near the lake properties because of lake effect snow in the winter, unless you love the stuff.

Great recreational opportunities await.
Quote:
Prairie Spring Park and Lake Andrea officially opened in August of 1995. The park was paid for with a $1.7 million contribution from Wispark Corporation (no tax dollars were used). This 425-acre public park and 110-acre spring fed lake offer the residents of Pleasant Prairie and southeastern Wisconsin a wide variety of public park amenities, including a beach (annual and daily passes available) with a designated swimming area, two children's tot lots, softball fields, picnic areas, volleyball pits, nature trails and a 2.3 mile paved walking/jogging trail around the lake. The park is open year-round from 7 a.m. to dusk.
Village of Pleasant Prairie | Parks & Recreation | Prairie Springs Park & Lake Andrea

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Thanks. It will be an adjustment coming from the south! I was thinking the home prices would be higher toward the lake? But maybe that's not true at all. What about flooding? Is that an issue? Here flooding is a major concern and we aren't required but carry flood insurance.

How are the schools in Pleasant Prairie?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It will be an adjustment coming from the south! I was thinking the home prices would be higher toward the lake? But maybe that's not true at all. What about flooding? Is that an issue? Here flooding is a major concern and we aren't required but carry flood insurance.

How are the schools in Pleasant Prairie?
I should have posted this city-data link previously, but didn't think about doing it til now:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Pleasa...Wisconsin.html

You might have to wait extra time for the page to load.

As far as I recall from residing in PP for about 23 years, there was some flooding of low lying areas a few years ago {5 inches of rainfall in a 24 hour period of time-very rare}, but the village has sunk money into storm drain projects that has worked quite good.

Yes, real estate prices can be higher near the lake, and on the lakefront as well, around Carol Beach.

Historic Map: Carol Beach Estates 1, Atlas: Kenosha County 1950, Wisconsin - Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ™

Carol Beach, Kenosha County, Wisconsin, USA - Maps, Photos, Weather, Local Links

PP schools:
Quote:
There are 5 K-12 schools in Pleasant Prairie, WI, including 4 public schools and 1 private schools. Pleasant Prairie public schools belong to one districts, Kenosha School District.

There are 5 Pleasant Prairie elementary schools, 1 Pleasant Prairie middle school, 1 Pleasant Prairie high school and 1 Pleasant Prairie preschool school.
My daughter attended 2 schools here in the Prairie many years ago. Elementary and High, both seemed above average to my spouse and myself. They seemed very focused upon parent/teacher/student relations by regular meetings with all.

Google

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Ok, thanks. It sounds like there are choices of schools in the lower grades but not upper grade. It might not be a concern since I think this move will be for 3 to 5 years at most. Unless of course we fall in love with the area and decide to stay put.

I think I'll love Wisconsin despite the frigid winters. But if I'm going somewhere cold I want to be closer to family and have a beautiful outdoor setting with a variety of recreational opportunities.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks. It sounds like there are choices of schools in the lower grades but not upper grade. It might not be a concern since I think this move will be for 3 to 5 years at most. Unless of course we fall in love with the area and decide to stay put.

I think I'll love Wisconsin despite the frigid winters. But if I'm going somewhere cold I want to be closer to family and have a beautiful outdoor setting with a variety of recreational opportunities.
In the spring and summer, my wife and I go to the lakefront packing the BBQ grill, dog, jolly ball toys, and the cooler, on hot days, the lake breeze is great, the scenery is fantastic, sailboats, speedboats, a nice beach to get your feet wet, and nice people.

http://www.kenoshacvb.com/attraction...man-park-beach

Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM

What is there to do in the winter? Ice skating, skiing, sledding? Is there a lot for kids to do in that area? My oldest really loves to draw so any art classes, sports, parks, children's theatre etc...

Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 43,185 times
We're curious about the Pleasant Prairie area, too. There is a job possibility for me in Kenosha, and while I enjoy the many options available in a larger community, I'm not convinced that Kenosha proper is the right place for a young family. We'd like to settle down for a good 10-15 years, at the very least, and the high schools in the city seem to score very poorly. A lot will depend on where my husband can find employment - Kenosha, Chicago, Milwaukee....

Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
What is there to do in the winter? Ice skating, skiing, sledding? Is there a lot for kids to do in that area? My oldest really loves to draw so any art classes, sports, parks, children's theatre etc...
Skating, sledding and all of that. Great public libraries, great parks. There's a lot to do here. It's got the big city attraction, but has the small hometown appeal and feel.
Kenosha Ice Ice Skating Rink - Kenosha, WI

You could take about a 2 hour drive north to the Dells indoor water park too.
Kalahari Resort Indoor Waterpark

Wisconsin Dells Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Resorts | Call 855.247.0210 for Reservations or Information

Wisconsin Dells Indoor Water Parks | Browse Types, View Info & Photos

FALL ART CLASSES | Kenosha Art Association

Anderson Arts Center

http://www.kenoshacvb.com/attraction...-youth-theater

Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicurious View Post
We're curious about the Pleasant Prairie area, too. There is a job possibility for me in Kenosha, and while I enjoy the many options available in a larger community, I'm not convinced that Kenosha proper is the right place for a young family. We'd like to settle down for a good 10-15 years, at the very least, and the high schools in the city seem to score very poorly. A lot will depend on where my husband can find employment - Kenosha, Chicago, Milwaukee....
I would have to say, in my opinion, Kenosha area schools rank a bit higher than average compared to Chicago, I do not know about schools in Milwaukee.

Kenosha Unified School District 1 - Kenosha County - Trulia

Kenosha, keep in mind has approximately 100,000 people, and is considered small, property taxes are lower than cities in Illinois too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin