Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM

39 posts, read 71,197 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at houses to rent in Appleton, Wisconsin and they all seem to be very biased about people with dogs. Why is this???? Does anyone know of something to rent that allows large dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,266,948 times
i would not rent to a dog owner anywhere. let him buy his own house and wreck it. i got out of the doormat biz a long time ago.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 PM

39 posts, read 71,197 times
Well that just dosn't make sense. My dog never rips nor destroys anything in my house. And it should really be more open to allowing dogs. Think it should be more of a person to person decision. I wouldn't ALLOW my dog to destroy things. I think it's wrong to be bitter about SOME people and not give other people a chance.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM

2,655 posts, read 3,840,462 times
You are not thinking as a business person.
In the free market if you have something in limited supply, you can be picky about the both the price and the type of customer (renter) you want.

I assume there is a tight rental market in Appleton, therefore landlords have the upper hand in the negotiation.

No one is judging you personally, they just don't need to undertake the risk associated with dogs to achieve their financial goal.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,226,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnpbC View Post
I have been looking at houses to rent in Appleton, Wisconsin and they all seem to be very biased about people with dogs. Why is this???? Does anyone know of something to rent that allows large dog?
You're going to find bias against pets just about everywhere.

We are pretty luck and unlucky at this time.
We have a dog and pay $550 a month, but, we pay much more for utilities because our duplex is a dive, crooked floors, poor repairs and maintenance, hardly plowed in the winter, criminals on the mend in two other duplexes next to us, we're the only ones who really care what the place looks like in the summer {we do the mowing-trimming-and trash pickup in the lot and yards} and have half wit neighbors. Needless to say, we keep to ourselves here. I installed a wireless outdoor video camera and record everything that occurs in the lot, and we monitor people coming and going on the property. Mainly because the landlord kicked a tenant out last year and they kept coming onto the property vandalizing tv cable lines, throwing glass and nails in the driveway/lot, and harassed other tenants. He kicked out that tenant because of building bonfires, inviting relatives over and getting drunk in the lot and raising heck til 3: a.m..
Last year, another tenant tried to turn this residential area into a barnyard, he bought roosters and kept them in a fenced area, except the roosters crowed at 2:30 a.m., and woke everyone up, that sheet didn't last very long at all. We have squirrels living in the eaves too, and we are waiting for the maintenance guy to fix them, but we won't hold our breath.

Dogs are messy. We use pine wood chips

Dejno's, Inc. - Pine Shavings

to help us clean up the back yard, it soaks up wet poopy messes from rain and snow, and we rake it all up and dispose of it properly. Thankfully, our dog doesn't chew on stuff, and he doesn't dig holes. He is well behaved. And is people friendly. BTW, straw does the same thing, it too is a good absorbent, but is messier. Dogs like pine shavings and straw as well.
Some landlords will charge an extra monthly fee for people with dogs/cats.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 AM

17 posts, read 47,054 times
Another thing is their insurance on the building goes up if they allow dogs (some companies all dogs, other certain types). Doesnt matter if your dogs are behaved, renters before you ruined it. But I'd allow dogs before I'd ever allow cats if I owned rentals.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 25,594 times
[quote=toodles;28613021Another thing is their insurance on the building goes up if they allow dogs (some companies all dogs, other certain types). Doesnt matter if your dogs are behaved, renters before you ruined it. But I'd allow dogs before I'd ever allow cats if I owned rentals.[/quote]~~~~~~~~~
I have 4 dogs 2 little ones and 2 huge ones I love dogs All my dogs were abused and neglected before I got them It is not the dog it is the dog owners who do not properly care for their dogs I have rented to dog owners.. they leave the poor dogs unattended for 15 -16 hours straight OMG poor things need to be let out fresh water fed and given some attention THAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM I do not believe in tying dogs outside why even have a dog if that is what is done I would much rather tie out the DOG OWNER! HAVE owned property with dogs most all my life and insurance has never gone up or been a problem.. BUT if you have dog breeds (like pit bulls) that are known to be aggressive then there is an insurance premium, some will not even insure One way to get a landlord to agree to rent to you is to offer to pay an extra pet deposit for any damages that may occur on top of regular deposit Always take date stamped pictures of all rooms and floors before u move in and immediately after you have cleaned just before moving out to prove there are no damages to windows windowsills doors floors carpeting etc. IT is the dog owners who are dirty uncaring and unresponsive NOT the dogs who deserve so much better

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,918 times
I was just thinking this morning that if I were a landlord living on property that I was renting out, I would never allow dogs. I rent a house behind the house my landlord lives in. He has the most obnoxious dog of all time. It barks nonstop. I am constantly woken up by the barking. And it's not just his dog, my neighborhood is overrun with dogs. The barking is going to drive me insane one of these days.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,226,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehills View Post
~~~~~~~~~
I have 4 dogs 2 little ones and 2 huge ones I love dogs All my dogs were abused and neglected before I got them It is not the dog it is the dog owners who do not properly care for their dogs I have rented to dog owners.. they leave the poor dogs unattended for 15 -16 hours straight OMG poor things need to be let out fresh water fed and given some attention THAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM I do not believe in tying dogs outside why even have a dog if that is what is done I would much rather tie out the DOG OWNER! HAVE owned property with dogs most all my life and insurance has never gone up or been a problem.. BUT if you have dog breeds (like pit bulls) that are known to be aggressive then there is an insurance premium, some will not even insure One way to get a landlord to agree to rent to you is to offer to pay an extra pet deposit for any damages that may occur on top of regular deposit Always take date stamped pictures of all rooms and floors before u move in and immediately after you have cleaned just before moving out to prove there are no damages to windows windowsills doors floors carpeting etc. IT is the dog owners who are dirty uncaring and unresponsive NOT the dogs who deserve so much better
I know for sure my landlord won't rent to anyone who own's a or has pit bulls as pets.

We only tie ours outside when he needs to go go, but at the first hint of a bark, we bring him back inside because I know how annoying it can be to have a dog or dogs barking constantly. We also spend time outside playing with him too, it's quality time when he can play tug the rope, chase the ball and rough house, exercise. We also clean up his messes everyday or every other day, and lay down pine shavings to help keep his yard fresh.

Some people have dogs just to have dogs. Some people acquire them as puppies and later ignore them once they're older. Some people just shouldn't have a dog I guess.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,734,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I was just thinking this morning that if I were a landlord living on property that I was renting out, I would never allow dogs. I rent a house behind the house my landlord lives in. He has the most obnoxious dog of all time. It barks nonstop. I am constantly woken up by the barking. And it's not just his dog, my neighborhood is overrun with dogs. The barking is going to drive me insane one of these days.
Yes!! I wish the guy behind us who rents out his house did not allow dogs i can't even walk in my back yard before the two dogs run to the fence and start their barking, so annoying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin