Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,499 times

Advertisements

hi! i'm new here. i'm moving to Wisconsin in late August/early September from Florida! so i really need some winter clothes. does anyone have a favorite/preferred place to shop? i've looked at the Columbia (i think it is) website and holy crap! they're clothes and shoes are so expensive, but i understand it's an expense that has to be spent. haha so if anyone has any recommendations please PLEASE! let me know. i'm also looking for a car, anyone has any tips or places to look for that? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
It's probably a good idea to let us know what city you'll be in. It's a big state.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i'd add that depending on where you will be moving to, if "Columbia" type apparel items are what you are looking for, there are chain stores that carry those goods and normally you can find some sort of sale or discount. Department stores like Kohls, Boston Store (similar to Belk stores in the south), etc carry that brand as well as other similar lines. You can also try chains like Dicks, Academy, Cabelas, Farm and Fleet (or Fleet and Farm) and Gander Mountain to find good winter apparel. And again depending on your location, there are some nice outlet malls that can save some coin as well.
And to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if some FL stores may have what you're looking for, and at better prices. I see it around here in SC, though i found that once we moved south from WI in 09, i've not needed my winter jacket once (locals though bundle up, not knowing what true winter is lol).

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
By the time you get here, the department stores will have all the winter clothing out. Like another poster said Columbia products can be had at many department stores at a discount. You will also find nice winter clothing just as good as Columbia at a fraction of the cost at places like Kohls, JC Penny's and Sams Clubs usually have a nice quality product at a very reasonable price.

If you want a really warm winter coat, skip the Columbia stuff and start looking at the snowmobile dealers. I had snowmobiles most of my life and will say that the snowmobile clothing is warmer than Columbia type products (I have both), Columbia is still a good product.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM

oh we're moving to clark county thanks your responses have definitely helped so far!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
By the time you get here, the department stores will have all the winter clothing out. Like another poster said Columbia products can be had at many department stores at a discount. You will also find nice winter clothing just as good as Columbia at a fraction of the cost at places like Kohls, JC Penny's and Sams Clubs usually have a nice quality product at a very reasonable price.

If you want a really warm winter coat, skip the Columbia stuff and start looking at the snowmobile dealers. I had snowmobiles most of my life and will say that the snowmobile clothing is warmer than Columbia type products (I have both), Columbia is still a good product.

yeah i myself never had a "Columbia" branded jacket, preferred other brands/styles and even used my winter hunting coveralls when handling snow removal chores. My wife liked her Columbia parkas though, but i'd agree that if one is spending any real amount of time out in the snow and cold playing or working, then clothing (and good boots & hats/gloves/mittens -- often overlooked) can have better options at places that gear the items to snowmobilers, skiiers, and even farmers and not just what the fashion of the day is lol.

OP will have time to get what they want, once they are settled and have a feel for what their needs will be for family apparel. And with living in the location given, likely the closest shopping areas would be Eau Claire or Wausau (note Mall of America in Minneapolis is just a couple hour drive from there as well for a larger shopping experience).

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM

what about phone services? i have metro right now, but when i look at the coverage on the website it doesnt look so good. what is a popular phone service there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin