U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times

Advertisements

hi. we are a hispanic family, we are thinking about move to wisconsin soon,but
i'm undecided wich city is better for live appleton or eau claire.
we are looking for a very peaciful, and safety place with a lot of oportunities for manufacturing employment and low cost of housing and without racial problems.
may you help us? please. thank you

raul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,782,119 times
My husband and I moved to Appleton 6 months ago after living in Maine our entire lives. We are already planning our escape. We have never encountered so many rude people in our lives and just can't deal with it much longer.

People outside Appleton tell us that it's only in Appleton that you run into this and no one seems to know why people here are so nasty all the time.

As for the boredom factor, its true. Unless you have the funds to go shopping every day, there isn't a gosh darn thing to do here. You'd have to drive the 30 minutes up to Green Bay but they are experiencing a lot of violent crime these days so I wouldn't recommend that either.

I understand that the Eau Claire area and way up north to the UP are the best and nicest areas of WI.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck with your move. Just because it wasn't a good fit for us, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Default good luck in appleton

My husband and I just moved from there. (were both black). We found it to be very friendly area overall and nice and slow pace (from Atlanta before). I have to admit though, after three years I got sick of being stared at at the grocery store, or wherever. It's nice to be back in Atlanta where I just blend in.
BTW we have a house for sale in North Appleton if you're interested.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 32,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkja View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving to Appleton. My concern is that I'm white and my husband is black. How accepted is this in the area? What are race relations like? We're not so concerned about what people may think of us but will our children be treated well?

Thanks for any replies
I live in Oshkosh, and work in Appleton. I am so tired of people looking for a home based on the racial profile. Or the racial tensions. If you and your husband and your lovely children want to move to Appleton , please do !. You are welcome anytime !..but I have learned that anyone looking for racial issues will find them...anywhere !.
I am black, my wife is white,...we dont have problems because we dont look for them. PERIOD !.I live in a fine area, have a fine job, and have many wonderful friends...Labeling any of these with a " black,white, hipanic, or any other tag is pointless in todays society.
If I were to tell you that I live in a wonderful neighborhood, you would feel happy...but if I label this as a predominately white neighborhood....how does that make you feel ?..like a minority ?...like a different place ?...in reality, it is the same neighborhood, but I refuse to label it as anything but exactly what it is....nice !.
Please, move to Appleton, it is an inviting city as is Oshkosh....but be yourself !..be a couple who loves each other with wonderful children and embrace the gifts that you have.
How accepted will you be ?...as a person or as a person of color ?...see how that changes meaning.......
Hope to see you in town...sorry to preach, but we spend so little time on this planet, lets enjoy the ride !!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 07:42 PM

36,350 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkja View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving to Appleton. My concern is that I'm white and my husband is black. How accepted is this in the area? What are race relations like? We're not so concerned about what people may think of us but will our children be treated well?

Thanks for any replies
You'll probably experience pretty much the same thing you experience in Eu Claire or any other predominantly white area in Wisconsin outside Madison and the Milwaukee area: nobody's going to burn a cross in your yard, you'll get a few curious stares at the grocery store, and people will by and large be scrupulously nice so as to avoid any suspicion that they're harboring racist thoughts even as they're wondering how the hell you ended up where you are. If you can handle it in Eu Claire, you can handle it in Appleton.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,988 times
my wife is white and im black, we just moved to appleton. Have you any negative reactions towards you?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You'll probably experience pretty much the same thing you experience in Eu Claire or any other predominantly white area in Wisconsin outside Madison and the Milwaukee area: nobody's going to burn a cross in your yard, you'll get a few curious stares at the grocery store, and people will by and large be scrupulously nice so as to avoid any suspicion that they're harboring racist thoughts even as they're wondering how the hell you ended up where you are. If you can handle it in Eu Claire, you can handle it in Appleton.
This is a good reply. Totally on the spot. There is acceptance for mixed couples, and I doubt you will ever have any overt trouble. Interestingly, in Appleton and the surrounding area, there are a number of black men and virtually no black women. Hence, practically, every black man will be in a mixed relationship. That said, there were a number of Milwaukee and Chicago transplants who had carved out a bad reputation in the area. There was some sort of turf animosity between them and the local Mexican community which led to a double murder at the Express station on Richmond road a couple years ago.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 61,568 times
Default sly with prejudice

Appleton is more progressive than GB, which I guess isn't saying much. I lived in Eau Claire back in the late 80's and early 90's and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I'm white and my husband is latin; I didn't find it liberal or welcoming at all. We were constantly followed in what used to be Dayton's (now Macy's I think) even though we are both professionals, have advanced degrees, and dress out of Gap or Old Navy. (Although I have heard its changed a lot since we left.) We've been in the GB area for 3 years, and are looking forward to getting out. It is quite insular here and people can be sly with their prejudice. The whole immigration thing brought some changes in attitude from some locals. What's sad is that my husband is more American than many of them, but some can only see his brown exterior and assume that he works at the meat packing plant. I think many people in WI in general are more ignorant than racist. But those that are racist won't be "burning a cross" in your front yard. It'll be much more subtle. I found it when my son was being tested for kindergarten. He was interviewed by several parents and teachers (he's gifted by the way) and he received several ratings of below average in certain areas.

To make a long story short, I think you'll like Appleton more than Eau Claire. And stick with Appleton over Green Bay. Hope I helped! g---

Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,987 times
Here is a twist. I am a white male who was dating a black girl when I visited family in Appleton. We were living in Atlanta at the time, and can contrast the two cities. We noticed alot more head turning and staring in the suburbs of Atlanta and virtually none in Appleton, or for the most part all of Wisconsin. We went skiing in northern Wisconsin, and when we stopped in the Wisconsin outback to use the restroom, my girlfriend was a little hesitant because it was a country tavern full of deer hunters. I went in with her just to be safe, but there was no need because nobody even batted an eye when she asked where the ladie's room was. She was shocked because she was treated like a normal human being, and her feeling toward Wisconsinites immediately changed despite her being one of only a few black people we saw north of Appleton.
Sure, you have prejudice and bigotry everywhere. From our experience Wisconsin was far less prejudicial than Georgia, except for the city of Atlanta where diversity is the norm. I think the only people staring at us in Appleton were other black men looking on in astonishment. Was rather funny actually to see this, as if they were thinking "the one black girl in this city and she is with a white dude?" as they were proudly sitting next to their white girlfriends.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM

2,743 posts, read 5,714,790 times
To the Hispanic family question....I think Appleton/Green Bay would be a better choice over Eau Claire. The reason is that in Green Bay (adjacent to Appleton) there is a sizeable and growing Hispanic population. This means you will have access to Hispanic groceries, news, music and people. In Eau Claire, that will be much harder to find. Other cities in Wisconsin with sizeable Hispanic communities and nice areas to live would be Madison, Sheboygan and Milwaukee. Some other cities where there are even more Hispanics, and the cities are closer to Chicago, affordable and have the kind of jobs you are looking for would be Beloit, Racine and Kenosha also. Good Luck. Moderator cut: English only

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2006 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin