Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 17,158 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Sheboygan for almost 17 years. My husband got his first ‘real’ job here, and I thought it would just be a quick stepping stone to another job in another location. But 17 years later, here we are. We both have good jobs here, and our house is almost paid off (yay!), so we’re committed to staying. But I grew up in a bigger city and have been increasingly frustrated by the lack of resources here. I’ve tried to think of solutions from every angle to make it work for me and my kids, but haven’t really gotten anywhere even with all my brainstorming. Anyone out there have any ideas?

First, I’m looking for a good church home for our family. I am more liberal-leaning, self-identifying as a Unitarian Universalist, while my husband is more conservative, but non-practicing. In the past, we went to his family’s small conservative Lutheran church, but left years ago because of some bad stuff going on within that group. We haven’t been to church in about ten years, and our daughter has recently shown interest in wanting to be part of a church community. I think that would be nice, too, but I’d have to be comfortable with the teachings and the delivery, and it would be great if my husband would go too. Most of the churches I’ve researched in the area are pretty conservative,and the congregations are made up of people that have been church members for generations – any suggestions for us?

Second, my daughter is part of a dance group based out of Chicago and Milwaukee, and has dance class in Milwaukee 4-5 days a week. That’s an hour drive down and an hour back, plus the class time itself. It really impacts our time together as a family, as well as her time for schoolwork. But we’ve not been able to find anything else locally of the same caliber to replace this activity. Most of her friends do sports, but she’s not really interested in sports, just dance. Am I missing something? Is there some great dance opportunity out there locally just waiting to be discovered??

Any insight would be appreciated. Maybe there is something out there that I am just missing. Some of the other aspects of Sheboygan are great for us: no traffic, low crime, good schools, good jobs. My husband and sport-loving son love it here. I’m trying to feel the same. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,153,700 times
So, to distill this down, you would be happy in Sheboygan if 1) you could find an appropriate church and 2) good dance classes? Anything else?

Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Well, if we could get those two pieces taken care of, that would help tremendously! I think those are the two biggest issues I've been wrestling with for about the past five years or so. It just seems like we drive down to Milwaukee A LOT...for shopping, entertainment (festivals, theater), kids' activities, etc. There are some things there that aren't even offered here. My son would like to try speed skating (on ice) and the sport lacrosse...not offered in Sheboygan. My daughter would like to play the harp...not included in the school orchestra here and can't even find a private teacher here! My son was in a great Wisconsin Conservatory of Music class while my daughter had dance class one evening in Milwaukee...can't even find anything comparable here for anyone older than 3! I'm just frustrated at the lack of range of opportunities here and really tired of driving to Milwaukee after work and on the weekends. Seems like the options are to do what you really want to do and drive, or play soccer like everybody else and get to stay in town with family in the evenings. If we could do SOME of what we want to do here in town, I would be more than happy to give up all the driving!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM

319 posts, read 661,997 times
Mequon or Grafton, 15-25 minutes from the city, great schools, 10 minutes from Ozaukee ice center, more conservative/moderate suburb, 30-40 minutes from Sheboygan.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 AM

I would love, love, love to live in Mequon or Grafton, but that's not an option for us due to where our jobs are located. We have to stay in Sheboygan. I'm just trying to "bloom where I am planted" and looking to see if anyone has any other insights on Sheboygan that I may not have thought of.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,153,700 times
A friend of mine quit teaching music (kids) in Milwaukee and moved to Sheboygan because they have an incredibly progressive music program that offered him a job there (more money, more interesting). He's somewhat of known musician, having played in bands all over the continent and Europe, and they wanted a flashy younger guy like that teaching in a "School of Rock" sort of way. I believe it's just one of many programs they offer (he's also schooled in classical/jazz/you name it), but regardless, I'll get the name of the program and PM you about it. There may be something related that your children would enjoy.

My sister lives there, and I know it's a typical small hard-drinkin' Wisconsin town inflated to whatever the population is, but there are definitely amenities. I hope you're someone who has dug deep and is aware of the Kohler Arts Center, one of the best small town museums in the entire country. They specialize in naïve/art brut, and lend portions of their collection to the best museums in the country, and are an actual cutting-edge establishment in a nice setting. I can't believe you haven't been there at this point, but I wanted to include it in case, plus it's worth the drive from Milwaukee/Madison: Home

There are also cool and unique spots like Bookworm Gardens - Bookworm Gardens. My sister brings my niece and nephew there, and they love it. I also have friends in Milwaukee who make the trip with their kids. Again, I'd hope you've exhausted local options already!

I'm afraid I know nothing about the local churches. It seems like you're looking for something very specific - would you even find what you're looking for in Milwaukee, or is this a fairly location-specific issue? I'll check with my friend to see about the music programs, because obviously there may be other arts offered, or he may be in tune with that segment of local Sheboygan activities.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM

CowsAndBeer - thanks for the suggestions. My daughter has actually performed at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center with her group from Milwaukee, but their actual dance lessons there are more geared for the younger set, with ballet levels stopping before pointe. As far as visual arts, though, I agree that JMKAC is great. We've visited there and gone to the Artery many times! We've also visited and enjoyed Bookworm Gardens. I'm not totally down on Sheboygan; there are some great places to visit. I'm missing the longer-term programs, lessons, etc. I'm not aware of a music program like you mentioned, and believe me I think I've done a lot of searching! I would be interested in more info on that.

Regarding the church issue, there is a great church in Cedarburg that I would love to attend with great children's programs to boot. I've even visited a handful of times when I've been able. I just can't justify making the 45 minute drive there on Sundays on top of driving to and from Milwaukee 4-5 days during the workweek. Plus, my husband hates commuting - I am the one doing all the schlepping. So if I have any chance of getting him involved in attending church with us, it's gotta be local.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,835,198 times
I grew up in West Bend, but have moved out of state and lived in several other states and towns. Here's my advice. No place is perfect. Besides driving an hour is no big deal. You could easily end up driving a kid to dance classes an hour, even if you lived in a major metro area. Keep in mind, everything is not right down the street and there's lots of other people there. You and your family sound like your pretty settled in.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,812 times
I lived in Sheboygan most of my life. We moved to Cedarburg last year and I have to say that I miss Sheboygan. One of the things I liked about Sheboygan is that there was a variety of stuff for my kids to do that was very reasonably priced (native Sheboygan coming out right there) and it was no farther than a 20 minute drive to get to it. My daughter is pretty young, so she only took a few dance classes at JMKAC, but I was pretty impressed with Jessica's School of Dance. I'm also a UU and a member of UCN in Mequon and made the Sunday morning commute for over 10 years, so I feel your pain about not having a local Church community. There was a lay-lead UU group in Sheboygan and I think it is still around. It didn't work for us because my husband really likes an established minister and we really like the RE program our church offers. If you are looking for a more liberal Christian church in Sheboygan I would strongly recommend 2 of the UCC churches, Ebenezer on the northwest side and First United right across from Vollrath Bowl. There is also a small but active Pagan Spiritual group, if that is more your thing. Another great group that I think might be able to give you some leads is Theater for Young Audiences - Deb Sabol-Williams and her vision is a real gem in Sheboygan. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,020,971 times
Having grown up and lived in small town WI most of my life, with approx a decade in Milwaukee proper, it seems to me that you need to decide what you are willing to live with and what you are not. A relatively small community cannot be fairly compared to Milwaukee metro when it comes to cultural and social opportunities. With 17 years into the careers and established in the community, it is possible you have outgrown Sheboygan.

Unfortunate as it is, speed skating facilities are rare. My time in Milwaukee was two blocks from the Petit Center and I talked with many people that came from around the world to utilize that facility. For those who needed it, they made the move permanent. Classical music or dance at the higher levels is not something that every community will offer. Particular denominations outside of mainstream established churches are also not nearly as common in small town (conservative) Wisconsin. It would be up to you to determine if these ares important enough reasons to you to prompt discussions of relocation with your spouse.

The priorities are up to you to identify with your family, and then decide what to do with them. Opinions will vary, as with anything. We took our family away from the city because we decided quality of family life and affording a better home was more important than the "world class" extracurriculars in the city. Our kids have enjoyed becoming pretty good at a lot of things and not particularly great at any one. Competitive gymnastics, local sports teams, school band and choir, and church involvement keep them busy enough to not be concerned with what they don't have.

Your experience may be different - and may require you to drive the hour each way to get to what you deem important. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin