U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,252,842 times

Advertisements

Maybe next summer I'll look you up. Spent years driving up to Superior from Eau Claire, stopped at the restaurant in Rice Lake for their pie - cannot remember the name right now. I grew up about an hour and a half east of where you are, in the lower portion of the Chequamegon National Forest. If you camp - I remember camping in one of your posts (?) - check out the rustic campgrounds over that way. Beautiful little spots on small lakes with great fishing and quiet nights under the trees.

Glad to hear it is going well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 AM

32 posts, read 41,427 times
UPDATE #4 Hopefully the last!

The home in Rice Lake that we put offer on fell through! We look back and now understand that it wasn't meant to be, and we are ok with it. Many things have happened since I first posted this. Our home in Texas hadn't sold when we moved up to Hayward. We rented a 1300 sq ft home and had to move out 3 months later because it actually sold right after we moved in. We found another rental thank God in town. It was a 3400 sq ft home and was very comfortable. We lived in it, for another 6 months. Home in Texas still didn't sell.

We moved back to Texas because we worried about why the home wasn't' selling, hence the home in Rice Lake fell thru because we couldn't get home in Texas sold. Upon returning to Texas, we found that our home was not being taken care of like we were paying for. i.e. lawn-care, pool & cleaning wasn't happening even though we were paying. We furnished the home with all new stuff, lived in it for 2 months and immediately realized we wanted to go "Home" to Wisconsin for sure.

We put the home up immediately and it sold the first day it was open for showings. GO FIGURE! We turned around and bought a very small home in Hayward. Our son said "if we are going back to WI, then take me to where I have friends". So we did. Wife and I were very concerned about returning to an area we just left, but it seemed to make him happy. Hard lessons learned. The truth about Hayward is abundantly clear now.

The area is STRICTLY a VACATION/RESORT area. The people don't open up to newcomers easily, and the friendships between families isn't what I am accustomed too. They have lived their lives being used during the season by Chicago/Twin Cities crowds. People come in and then leave. Alot of money comes in, but immediately leaves a mess behind. The dichotomy between the haves and have-nots is apparent. I'm not trying to slam them, I actually am upset with the state/city/govt. They have a Goldmine there but have allowed outside influences control who/what they are.

The culture difference between the way I raise my child, and the way others do is also a big negative. I'm old school. Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am. It's what I do, and my kids do as well. Our kids don't lie, and don't talk about others. Not saying we are perfect, but that mentality is harder to have in small vacation towns. Everyone talks, and no-one wants to take responsibility for their actions. At our sons age group, the boys were acting out since puberty was kicking in, and well, I am not that Dad. I believe a young man should be raised a certain way. Some of the parents didn't like my coaching/parenting style. I asked the boys to say Yes Sir/No Sir. It sucked. Parents just didn't like discipline. Too militaristic is what I heard. Of course it was from the parents on other teams, not our own. Go figure. But enough ranting on that.

We experienced the worst year of our lives when we moved back. The home we put an offer on in Dec 15, closed in Feb 16. Apparently the previous owner decided to put a new roof on using hail claim from 2013. Yes A NEW ROOF ON IN DEC! In early Feb, I heard some loud pops in the roof during the really cold nights. I'm used to hearing wood pop from settling, but it was way worse. We had to go on a business trip and came back to the home in April with water standing in the home. The roof didn't seal and some trusses had broke during the winter. So we had to file an ins claim for ICE DAMMING/TRUSSES BROKEN. Insurance didn't want to cover since they claimed it was pre-existing. I had to fight for 9 months to get them to cover it. Fast forward to Feb of this year and again, we leave on business for 2 months. Come home to find a TREE fell thru the back part of home/roof and another tree on shed. Mind you, the first insurance company hadn't completed their repairs yet, but dropped us, and new ins company now has a NEW CLAIM! I SAID I'M DONE WITH THIS TOWN AND THIS HOUSE!

We left Hayward in April 2017. Took our son to Texas to stay with Grandparents. Wife's company had business in Bay Area of Cali so we took off there. Spent 2 months there and started really evaluating what/where should we go again. We started looking again at Washington State. We have family in Spokane. But nothing we looked at or found touched us the way Wisconsin had. We thought was GOD trying to tell us something? So we thought about staying in Texas, but again, nothing touched us the way Wisconsin did. So long story short, today we are still living in our RV, but we have some GREAT NEWS!

We found that perfect home, it's in Maiden Rock, WI. It's on top of a bluff, 3400 sq ft, 10 acres and I can only tell yah it's beautiful. Our son is already attending school in Ellsworth. A small town. The home is 45 Mins from MSP area and 15 minutes from Ellsworth & Red Wing, MN. You can't believe how wife and I feel. We feel like all the pains were just the weathering we needed to be ready to accept this blessing.

I've attached some photos from the inspection of home. I want to say thank you again to everyone that has read & contributed to this post. It's allowed me to share some serious emotions and pains, which we all know is good therapy. If anyone else is thinking about moving to Wisconsin from any state' I've lived in just PM me and I will gladly give yah my cell..

God Bless!

Old 09-21-2017, 03:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,095,999 times
Thanks for keeping us updated on your story, ReDNeQ. Appreciate your honesty, and am happy that you and your family have found your place in WI.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM

4,933 posts, read 5,889,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated on your story, ReDNeQ. Appreciate your honesty, and am happy that you and your family have found your place in WI.
Agree!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 3,207,802 times
Wow, Ellsworth is a town I do not hear anyone talk about much, if ever! VERY small town. My mom was born/raised in Ellsworth and many of my cousins and their families and some aunts/uncles still live in Ellsworth and that immediate area. My dad was born/raised in River Falls and my grandparents remained there until both passed away. When my parents married they moved down near the WI Dells area, where my dad took a teaching job, and raised us.

I have such fond memories of Ellsworth and that area. We used to visit on holidays and during the summers when we were kids and always had such good times! My aunt/uncle and my grandma (mom's side) lived right next to the fairgrounds and swimming pool in Ellsworth. Not even sure if either the swimming pool or fairgrounds is even there anymore(?) I was just in Ellsworth in June for our family reunion (mom's side). Sorry to ramble but I just never hear about anyone who even knows of Ellsworth or any of the small towns surrounding it.

One thing I believe you will surely find in that area is a lot of very nice friendly hometown people and a great place to raise children. It sounds like it will be a night and day difference from Hayward.

Your home is beautiful and such a fantastic view! It looks like it was well worth the wait and inconveniences it took to get there.

ENJOY!

Please post updates every once in awhile and let us know how you are enjoying it. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Thanks RAGNAR! You have helped in alot of my posts! Really appreciate it!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Wow, Ellsworth is a town I do not hear anyone talk about much, if ever! VERY small town. My mom was born/raised in Ellsworth and many of my cousins and their families and some aunts/uncles still live in Ellsworth and that immediate area. My dad was born/raised in River Falls and my grandparents remained there until both passed away. When my parents married they moved down near the WI Dells area, where my dad took a teaching job, and raised us.

I have such fond memories of Ellsworth and that area. We used to visit on holidays and during the summers when we were kids and always had such good times! My aunt/uncle and my grandma (mom's side) lived right next to the fairgrounds and swimming pool in Ellsworth. Not even sure if either the swimming pool or fairgrounds is even there anymore(?) I was just in Ellsworth in June for our family reunion (mom's side). Sorry to ramble but I just never hear about anyone who even knows of Ellsworth or any of the small towns surrounding it.

One thing I believe you will surely find in that area is a lot of very nice friendly hometown people and a great place to raise children. It sounds like it will be a night and day difference from Hayward.

Your home is beautiful and such a fantastic view! It looks like it was well worth the wait and inconveniences it took to get there.

ENJOY!

Please post updates every once in awhile and let us know how you are enjoying it. Good luck!
TY for the kind words, and YES you're exactly right about the people. So far, we are "THOSE TEXANS" but they smile and say hey when we see everyone. I've not met anyone with an agenda yet. Our son is enjoying school and the only problems he is having is girls, so what do yah do? HEHE.

We should be in the home by end of next week!!!

Thank You Again!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM

2,116 posts, read 2,252,842 times
I think I'm going to come visit next trip to WI. Looks like a great place you found and a beautiful area.

My heart longs for WI but the wife is loving Central Texas, so I don't know if getting back there is in the cards unless its as snowbirds when we get to a retirement opportunity.

You should check out Perrot State Park (among others) for some absolutely amazing views over the river. Particularly when the colors start to change - it's one of my favorite places.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:38 AM

38,186 posts, read 27,969,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Maybe next summer I'll look you up. Spent years driving up to Superior from Eau Claire, stopped at the restaurant in Rice Lake for their pie - cannot remember the name right now. I grew up about an hour and a half east of where you are, in the lower portion of the Chequamegon National Forest. If you camp - I remember camping in one of your posts (?) - check out the rustic campgrounds over that way. Beautiful little spots on small lakes with great fishing and quiet nights under the trees.

Glad to hear it is going well.
Norske Nook

Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM

3,463 posts, read 3,207,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Norske Nook
Always loved the Norske Nook pies! They started out in a very small place in Osseo that we always visited when we were younger off the interstate on our way to Ellsworth and River Falls and now I see that they have branched out to other towns over the years; Rice Lake, Deforest and Hayward. How interesting. Great place and fond memories. I will have to check out the one in Deforest one of these days considering it is pretty close to where I live now.

Great place for some good old home town made-from-scratch comfort food.

https://norskenook.com/restaurant/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin