Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,136,986 times

Advertisements

C'mon, I know there are some you latter-day hippies still out there. Got the skinny on any of them? Poynette (Sound Storm), Iola (People's Fair), etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,819,518 times
A bit off topic, but did you ever go to the Mole Lake Bluegrass festival in the 70's and early 80s?

Holy man - that was a riot. Pot and acid trips all around and because it was on the rez., the cops just watched.

Good times!!! (I think there were anyway as I really don't remember that much )

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
A bit off topic, but did you ever go to the Mole Lake Bluegrass festival in the 70's and early 80s?

Holy man - that was a riot. Pot and acid trips all around and because it was on the rez., the cops just watched.

Good times!!! (I think there were anyway as I really don't remember that much )
I was just a young kid at that time, so I didn't attend. I have read extensively on and talked to some people who attended Iola and I can almost assure you that Iola was a bigger drugfest than any gathering in Wisconsin history. 50,000 people in 200 acres with absolutely no security. LSD, mescaline and pot by the score.

You can get a little sense of it here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2171362&type=3

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I was just a young kid at that time, so I didn't attend. I have read extensively on and talked to some people who attended Iola and I can almost assure you that Iola was a bigger drugfest than any gathering in Wisconsin history. 50,000 people in 200 acres with absolutely no security. LSD, mescaline and pot by the score.

You can get a little sense of it here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2171362&type=3
we used to go to the Iola car show back then.... guess we should have maybe head up there a bit earlier. I bet the fair's swap/buyers areas were far more interesting then looking for valve covers and bumpers lol

Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
we used to go to the Iola car show back then.... guess we should have maybe head up there a bit earlier. I bet the fair's swap/buyers areas were far more interesting then looking for valve covers and bumpers lol
You might have lived to regret that. Biker gangs quickly gained control of the site. The 200 acres was fenced in with no cops or security on the inside and bikers were shaking down attendees. The festival started on a Friday, and by Saturday, things were getting nasty - Robberies and claims that bikers were raping women. Sunday morning, it erupted in gunfire. Apparently, someone got on stage and asked for the hippies to help throw the bikers out of the area and a large group of hippies charged down at the bikers, throwing rocks. A couple bikes were lit afire, one ended up in a pond (which I recently saw for sale on Ebay) and the bikers fled into the arms of the waiting cops on the outside. The gunfire managed to clear out most of the attendees, who missed, I believe, Chuck Berry and Ravi Shankar on Sunday.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,646 times
It wasn't that bad...I was a student at WSU-SP (later UW-WI) from '69-'71, and went there on my little Suzuki T200,
kind of messy, but no more of a threat than anywhere else you want to be stupid...speaking of stupid, I enlisted in the
USN in July of 1972, with a draft number of 355! Oh well....

Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 AM

362 posts, read 261,539 times
Default Stone Lake, Wisconsin (May 1980)Music & Art festival

Not quite as big as Iola, Wi, but just as fun with all the drama(bikers..etc...).
Not sure how many festivals before this date/or after, but, I did attend the May(Memorial Weekend)1980 concert. I am from Rice Lake, but was stationed//(just separated) at Duluth IAP (Air Force), Mn at the time.

This show head line Headeast, and I can remember Canned Heat, and maybe Wolfman Jack was there. That's all my memory is going to remember. I had the attached T-shirt for awhile with all the band that were there, but that is gone. I do have some photos still (35mm & negatives), but was mostly of the biker group that I went there with.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Found two ads for the Stone Lake Arts and Music Festival. I think I was told that there were only 3 venues. I went to one for May 1980(yellow poster). The other ad I found says 2nd annual for Sept (???year??)with no year specified.
Attached Thumbnails
Wisconsin rock festivals - 1970s-stone-lake-concert-may-1980.jpg   Wisconsin rock festivals - 1970s-stone-lake-concert-2nd-annual.jpg  

Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM

Did not find any photos during the concert, but, the stage area afterwards. I will start with one, need to crop a couple others.
Attached Thumbnails
Wisconsin rock festivals - 1970s-img103.jpg  

Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 AM

Default photos for the May 1980 Stone Lake Wisconsin Rock Festival

Well, I must apologize, I only have pics of before and after the fact. But, use your imagination and look through the pics to bring back memories and or pick yourself out of one of the pictures, or imagine that you were there in that spot. We all traveled down from the Duluth Minnesota area. We took the scenic back roads, mostly for road safety, Hwy 53 to US State Route 2 (to Brule, Wi), then US State Route 27 to (Stone Lake, Wi), then on US State Route 70 to the concert grounds. I just got out of the Air Force at the Duluth Air Force Base that April (1980), and bought a brand new 1980 Harley Roadster 1000 (Sportster) for $4200.00 off the Duluth Harley Davidson Shop floor. So, that is what I rode down there on. The rest of the group had mix rides..ie..Harleys, triumphs, etc. I was 24 yrs old then. I had someone drive my 67 Cougar down with us to haul some of our supplies. The guys I rode with from the Duluth area were into iron horses, but, we not a rowdy bunch, not like some of the bikers that showed up to the rock festival. But, all in all, no major incidents or issues transpired, and a good time was had by all. Our camp was just off the road coming in/out, and right close to the entry of the concert grounds. So, we were almost directly east of the stage. The area in front of the stage was like in a bowl. So, our camp site was down below the embankment over on the east side. One other note, I just got photos from the front to the east/south east concert grounds, sorry. Something is better than nothing. Enjoy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin