U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
 
12,638 posts, read 7,532,954 times
Reputation: 7453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Gee, I guess I can honestly say that I don't know anyone that doesn't support him. Must be that I hang out with people that work, at least in the private sector.
Same here.

I don't live in Wisconsin anymore, but I have family in West Bend, Antigo, Waukesha, Eau Claire, Wausau, Shawano, Eagle River, and Fond du Lac (big family).

I have a couple cousins in Milwaukee who work for the government who don't like Walker, or anyone else who wants limited government, but my family is pretty unanimously thrilled with the direction Wisconsin has taken since Walker was elected.

Most of my many friends in the Washington County area are Walker supporters, if they are political. I've donated money to him and will continue to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
 
36,815 posts, read 26,583,166 times
Reputation: 33972
What direction is that? Less money put into education? Horrible economic growth compared to its neighbors? Creating a climate of working class and middle class turning on each other? Preventing local governments from having local control if big business doesn't like it? Reduction of environmental safeguards? I'm seriously wondering. I haven't heard of any benefits from anyone. There hasn't been tax cuts for all that, nothing noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Portland OR
1,948 posts, read 2,864,553 times
Reputation: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What direction is that? Less money put into education? Horrible economic growth compared to its neighbors? Creating a climate of working class and middle class turning on each other? Preventing local governments from having local control if big business doesn't like it? Reduction of environmental safeguards? I'm seriously wondering. I haven't heard of any benefits from anyone. There hasn't been tax cuts for all that, nothing noticeable.
Why do you guys always tout a tired, old, fake argument that if only more money was poured in public education, all ills would be solved?

Public education should be curbed and reshaped, Political correctness thrown away and let results drive decisions, not union democrat agendas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM
 
36,815 posts, read 26,583,166 times
Reputation: 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why do you guys always tout a tired, old, fake argument that if only more money was poured in public education, all ills would be solved?

Public education should be curbed and reshaped, Political correctness thrown away and let results drive decisions, not union democrat agendas.

All ills? No, but no one has seen improvement in education by cutting resources. And political correctness? Huh? Union agendas? Good heavens, what in the world are you talking about.

Curbing public education? Yeah, that makes sense, we need to limit education. No need for more of it in society; we're plenty educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM
 
4,838 posts, read 3,649,045 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All ills? No, but no one has seen improvement in education by cutting resources. And political correctness? Huh? Union agendas? Good heavens, what in the world are you talking about.

Curbing public education? Yeah, that makes sense, we need to limit education. No need for more of it in society; we're plenty educated.
Cons have a severe disdain of education, remember? Keep the electorate stupid, it's easier to fill their head with ignorance. As you can see, it's already being done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Portland OR
1,948 posts, read 2,864,553 times
Reputation: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All ills? No, but no one has seen improvement in education by cutting resources. And political correctness? Huh? Union agendas? Good heavens, what in the world are you talking about.

Curbing public education? Yeah, that makes sense, we need to limit education. No need for more of it in society; we're plenty educated.
OK so to be clear - Is it your assesment that the current public eduction system in the US is efficient, turns out a good product, does not have any political agenda, and if but for more $, America would be the smartest place in the world?

Explain yourself with rational thought for why the current system of public education is a good investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
 
180 posts, read 248,022 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Same here.

I don't live in Wisconsin anymore, but I have family in West Bend, Antigo, Waukesha, Eau Claire, Wausau, Shawano, Eagle River, and Fond du Lac (big family).

I have a couple cousins in Milwaukee who work for the government who don't like Walker, or anyone else who wants limited government, but my family is pretty unanimously thrilled with the direction Wisconsin has taken since Walker was elected.

Most of my many friends in the Washington County area are Walker supporters, if they are political. I've donated money to him and will continue to do so.
So are the Minnesota politicians and business leaders. They'll be more than happy to have even more UW graduates move to the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
8,012 posts, read 19,989,039 times
Reputation: 4706
You could eliminate the income tax, the sales tax and pay people to live here and there still will be companies and people that's don't want to move here, all because of the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: IN
21,236 posts, read 36,880,044 times
Reputation: 13767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You could eliminate the income tax, the sales tax and pay people to live here and there still will be companies and people that's don't want to move here, all because of the weather.
Southern Wisconsin climate is mostly mild compared to many other places. I consider 30F and above to be mild so it isn't too bad most of the year. Summer temperatures would be nice if they were a bit cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
8,012 posts, read 19,989,039 times
Reputation: 4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Southern Wisconsin climate is mostly mild compared to many other places. I consider 30F and above to be mild so it isn't too bad most of the year. Summer temperatures would be nice if they were a bit cooler.
30? mild? Whoa what planet are you from? of all the things I have heard Wisconsin described as, Mild, has never been one of them. Summers are too hot? What did we have 3 days in the 90's last year. San Francisco is mild maybe Seattle is mild but Wisconsin. I admit I am from a different planet as I like and enjoy a nice humid night of around 82. If it were up to me I'd never live north of I-4 in Florida. I cannot understand why or how anyone lives in the North, I just can't. I heard someone say 75 and sunny everyday is boring If it were me it would be 82 everyday with a decent amount of humidity. I also admit I am basically a shut in, during the winter. You can't do anything for 5 months out of the year here.

Anyways back to the tax issue, I'm all for getting rid of the income tax and raising other forms of taxing to cover it as long as it results in a tax cut overall. Some taxes psychologically are more painful than others, when you see how much they take out of your paycheck every week, it's a kick to the groin but gas tax and sales tax and other fees people seem to not care or notice much about them. Income tax and property taxes are the two big emotional taxes that people really notice. Raise the sales tax 1.3% without telling anyone and I doubt many people would even notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top