Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,364,281 times

Advertisements

(Note: This is NOT a political topic...I want this to be about the functionality of how such a change would work in this state, pros and cons, etc).

Walker explores elimination of income or property tax | Politics - Channel3000.com

In a year-end interview with News 3, he said he's directed key officials to begin meeting with stakeholders across the state.

"My goal is every year I'm in office I'm going to cut taxes," Walker said. "We've seen the overall tax burden in this state go down by $1.5 billion, and seen property taxes and income tax rates go down. Those are all good things, but they are kind of nibbling and chipping away."

Walker said big ideas he is exploring include completely eliminating state income or property taxes.

"The criterion is overall to have taxes go down,” Walker said. "Along with that, any choice we make for any other sort of reform really should be driven by how big of an impact does it have on job creators? Is this the thing that would help small businesses grow? And if so, that's something we want to take a look at."

News 3 asked what other tax, including sales, Walker would consider increasing to make up for lost revenue.

"That's part of the discussion we want to have with people," Walker said. "Say the sales tax -- we are blessed with the fact that in this state, compared to many of our neighbors in the Midwest, property and income tax are relatively high, but sales taxes are some of the lower ones in the Midwest. Potentially you could see an increase there if you eliminated something like the income tax or a major chunk of the property tax."

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,788,991 times
The faster he is out of office the better.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,155,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The faster he is out of office the better.
Word.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,407,217 times
I'll start celebrating when my property tax mill rate for Madison drops below 2%. Right now it's at nearly 2.5%. I'd be fine with a small sales tax increase in return.

Some other states get away with no state income tax, but they make it up through higher sales taxes, and/or higher state fees. For example, at $75 WI remains one of the cheapest states in which to register a vehicle. I'd gladly pay $100 more each year to register my vehicle if my overall tax burden decreases more than that.

What the WI government really needs to do is spend less and then they won't require as much tax revenue. This is the perpetual problem of whoever happens to be in office.

WI also needs more economic diversity throughout the state. Old paper and manufacturing is going away and WI needs to replace these ancient industries with jobs that require higher skills in return for higher pay. This is going to take years and no WI governor will accomplish this during 1-2 terms in office. However, because of the crappy climate half of the year, WI is going to have a hard time recruiting educated young people who value a year-round active lifestyle, especially when they can get paid more elsewhere.

Despite all of the hopeful talk, I don't see WI getting unstuck any time soon. I'm thankful for the opportunities I have in WI, but sometimes I have a really hard time believing that I'm spending some of the best years of my life here.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,788,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
WI also needs more economic diversity throughout the state. Old paper and manufacturing is going away and WI needs to replace these ancient industries with jobs that require higher skills in return for higher pay. This is going to take years and no WI governor will accomplish this during 1-2 terms in office. However, because of the crappy climate half of the year, WI is going to have a hard time recruiting educated young people who value a year-round active lifestyle, especially when they can get paid more elsewhere.
I agree with this. Reducing investment in higher ed and tech schools is not the way to save money. I hope they don't continue that trend. That is economic suicide.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM

It's $75 to register your plates? Really? It's $95 for me & everyone else I know.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,644,151 times
City of Milwaukee levies a $20 wheel tax.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,618,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It's $75 to register your plates? Really? It's $95 for me & everyone else I know.
You don't know anyone outside of the City of Milwaukee?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You don't know anyone outside of the City of Milwaukee?
Yeah, I do. We haven't discussed registration fees. I assumed it was statewide.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
City of Milwaukee levies a $20 wheel tax.
Gotcha, never paid attention, just get the registration & pay, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin