Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,042 times

Advertisements

I was born in sheboygan but only lived there until I was 1 or so...but used to drive through every once in a while...not much to do in that area...but then I havent been in 10 years :|....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 92,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkao View Post
The winters have me worried.
Are you kidding? Wisconsin winters are not as bad as they say, especially if you're moving from Colorado you'll have nothing to worry about.

I moved to Wisconsin 11 years ago from Buffalo and the first winter I was like "This is it??"

Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvItHere View Post
Are you kidding? Wisconsin winters are not as bad as they say, especially if you're moving from Colorado you'll have nothing to worry about.

I moved to Wisconsin 11 years ago from Buffalo and the first winter I was like "This is it??"

What are race relations like in sheboygan. I'm hearing hick, which means I'm hearing touchy. I'm lived most of my life in Southern California, now living in Utah, and have not found any problems in Utah personally. I may have a jobinterview there and would like some insight. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 20,043 times
Default also new to sheboygan

I just moved to Sheboygan a few months ago. The good things I will say
is that it is close to Milwuakee for whatever you want to do there. I REALLY
like the Lakeshore here. The people for the most part seem fairly friendly.
So far we had one snow storm this winter, it has been 40ish almost every
day. Im sure this is not typical, but global warming is a fact, I don't think most parts of Wisconsin have winters like it used to have.
I lived on the west coast 26 years before moving back to Wisconsin.
Lived in Portland, OR, Yakima, WA & North and South California.
One thing is for sure you will never find the type of traffic here as you will on the west coast.
Never lived in Sheboygan before so its all still new to me and Im still trying it on. I will say it seems like a easy place to live, pretty low stress.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 20,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah89 View Post
What are race relations like in sheboygan. I'm hearing hick, which means I'm hearing touchy. I'm lived most of my life in Southern California, now living in Utah, and have not found any problems in Utah personally. I may have a jobinterview there and would like some insight. Thanks.
From what I can tell it seems pretty tame. There are hispanics, blacks, Hmongs and whites. I have not had a single problem with any of it so far.
Sheboygan is farily conservative, but there are some pockets of more liberal types. Make sure you go down to the lake front if you come for the interview, its really nice.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,800 times
I moved to Sheboygan, WI 2 years ago and would not recomeond it. I plan to move in the upcoming year to the west side of Wisconsin, LaCrosse area. This area is much more progressive, in Sheboygan I feel like I moved back in time many years, people are very stuck in their ways. I moved from Seattle, WA, which is quite "hip and trendy", and it was shocking to move here. I have spent time on the other side of the state and find it much more in line with my lifestyle and way of thinking. I also learned recently that Sheboygan County has the highest alcoholism rate in the state, this does not bode well for those who do not indulge.
Best of luck.
LC

Old 01-03-2007, 04:21 AM

9 posts, read 42,291 times
Default As far as the winter weather is concerned......

As a Chicago transplant to Neenah(Not too terribly distant from Sheboygan)It is only a few degrees colder than Chicago.I compare weather reports from TWC with Appleton-Chicago and so far N.E Wisconsin is almost on par with Chicago/Milwaukee with Winter weather.

When I moved here I got all the stories that winters are terrible here.But IMO if you can survive a Chicago winter( I did for 23 years) then you could deal with a winter in most of the northern U.S.

If you are from a state with 50-70 degree average temps during January then you will have a hard time adjusting.Just a warning to sunlovers who want to move to Wisconsin.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:28 AM

9 posts, read 42,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseamrygoddess View Post
I moved to Sheboygan, WI 2 years ago and would not recomeond it. I plan to move in the upcoming year to the west side of Wisconsin, LaCrosse area. This area is much more progressive, in Sheboygan I feel like I moved back in time many years, people are very stuck in their ways. I moved from Seattle, WA, which is quite "hip and trendy", and it was shocking to move here. I have spent time on the other side of the state and find it much more in line with my lifestyle and way of thinking. I also learned recently that Sheboygan County has the highest alcoholism rate in the state, this does not bode well for those who do not indulge.
Best of luck.
LC
IMO LaCrosse is the drunk western half of the state.LaCrosse would be another Sheboygan without Rochester,MN across the river.Just my two cents.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 48,652 times
Just returned from spending the holidays in Sheboygan. Really enjoyed our time there. By no means does a week make me an expert on Sheboygan. It does look like Sheboygan is making gains though. New construction and subdivisions are going up everywhere around the area. Looks like Best Buy is opening soon. The River front keeps growing with new businesses and new buildings. I didn't get the feeling that Sheboygan is very hick. I grew up in rural nebraska, so I have some idea of what hick is. I would agree with roseamrygoddess, probably moving from Seattle it does seem to be a little stuck in time. Not near the size of Seattle either. But for the things I'm looking for: safety, good place to raise kids, good schools, etc seems like a great place. Enough ammenities to keep ya happy and with Milwaukee and Green Bay so close so you can have your feel of the city also. What also impressed me was the stores were clean. Here in Colorado the stores always look like a heard of cattle went through them. Anyway, my two cents.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 48,652 times
Does anyone have any info or comments on schools around the sheboygan area? Any input would be much welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin