U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,194,718 times

Advertisements

Teaching isn't a "part-time job." It's a full-time job (40 hours or more per week) for part (most) of the year.

All of the teachers I know are paid for 9 or 10 months only. They are not paid in the summers, unless they work in the summer.

If a person works 40 hour weeks from January through September (for example), then becomes unemployed or otherwise idle for the rest of the year, the 40-hour weeks on record are still "full time." The full-time experience does not become "part time" all of a sudden. This applies to "seasonal" workers such as teachers, oil rig workers, landscapers, shrimpers, professional sports players, etc.

If a person works 20 hours per week 52 weeks per year, that person is a part-time employee. S/he may have worked each week of the year, but that doesn't make her/him "full time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
if teaching being a part time job is a "discredited myth", then please show me what facts you then have.
My mother was a teacher, so we always had summers off with her. I worked in the school system for a while and the teachers also were gone every summer. in the last 20 years I've done a lot of work in public schools and that has taken place over the summer, a time when no classes were in session. The only people that were there were the admin and janitors/maint.

[*snip*]

looks like 9 months of work. / a middle school social studies teacher (spring harbor) makes $75,375.00 salary plus $26,291.00 year.

call it a hundred and one grand/year.
that's $11,222 per month (9 months work)
$2800 per week
$561/day
$70 hour (assuming she's working 8 hrs/day).

is a middle school social studies teacher really worth $70/hour, 100K/year? Are her students twice as smart as someone making 50K teaching middle school social studies?
If she's a teacher, she's probably working more than 8 hours per day. But more to your point: Yes, teachers are worth good pay. CEOs, physicians, dentists, lawyers, politicians, engineers, accountants, Hollywood celebrities, superstar athletes, and many other people make well over $100,000 per year. Are their clients any more important than the teachers' students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
Election 2014 - County Board pay referendum easily passes

71% vs 29%

The lower compensation will save the county taxpayers nearly $500,000 a year.

Looks like the yes votes won, good!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Tn would be a whole lot better in so many areas if you pull out memphis, nashville, chattanooga, and knoxville out of it and it's a great state....
That already exists, and it's called West Virginia.

It's a beautiful place in many ways, but it suffers from chronic poverty, addiction, mining accidents, environmental hazards, and so on.

Quote:
....just like if you'd pull out milwaukee (and to a lesser extent, madison) WI would also be a great state.
That's called North Dakota. Also beautiful in so many respects, but nevertheless suffers from intense rural poverty, fracking and other environmental dangers, high crime in some rural areas and in boomtowns like Williston, etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
I'll grant you that Maintowoc is small, but it's not that much smaller than Battle Creek and Saginaw, which both have significant black populations; and Eau Claire is bigger than both of them. And if the Fox Valley was "too far north" for migrant black workers, then how did they make their way up to Lansing and the Sagniaw Valley on the other side of the lake?

Look, you sound like a more reasonable person than a lot of the people in this thread. Tell me…

Do you think it's just a coincidence that Wisconsin's black male incarceration rate is twice the national average, and a third higher than the state with the next largest rate?

Do you think it's just a coincidence that Milwaukee, one of the most diverse urban centers in the US, is surrounded by three counties that are over 95% white?

Do you think that it's a coincidence that Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis is the most segregated MSA anywhere in the country; even though segregation in the City of Milwaukee itself has been trending downward for at least the last two census cycles?

Do you think it's a coincidence that literally every story about urban crime at JSOnline is followed with an avalanche of comments claiming black people and the urban poor are culturally inferior?

I get that it's not comfortable to think about, but as a proud Wisconsinite, I'm sick and tired of Wisconsin leading the nation in so many unflattering statistics regarding race relations. The only way that's ever going to change is by first admitting that there's a very real problem with racial prejudice throughout EVERY part of our state. It's about time we stop pretending race relations are just a Milwaukee problem, and then pointing fingers at Milwaukee for not solving the problem entirely on its own.
The first question: migration trends to the north were what they were. African Americans are a minority to the tune of slightly more than 13%. The southeast portion of the U.S. still has the largest concentration of black people in this country to this day.
When some of them moved north looking for work, it was inevitable that some towns would get overlooked. I think that's the biggest reason right there.

Considering what you yourself are saying about racial problems in Milwaukee, I refuse to believe they moved to Milwaukee because of the warm reception they received there. Instead, I think it had more to do with more jobs being in places like Milwaukee and many of those other old industrial southeast Wisconsin towns.
In the 1800's, Milwaukee was home to what was realistically the primary black community in Wisconsin. Just my theory: when others started coming up to look for work, perhaps it's where they went trying to minimize discrimination.
So yeah, I suppose you can trace much of Wisconsin's demographic makeup partially to racial discrimination, but it began long, long ago and modern Wisconsinites shouldn't have to bear all the blame for their ancestor's sins. When the tide started to change for the better, the migration back to the south had already begun.
It is what it is, and I see no point in lamenting the lack of diversity in "up north" at this point in history. That ship has sailed.
Hispanics on the other hand, have been migrating into new territory (for them) in more recent years in places like you've mentioned. Take comfort in the fact that these new people in modern times in modern Wisconsin (and every other state I can think of) have had relatively little trouble moving in and have faced minimal discrimination, especially when compared to what they would have had to deal with 100 years ago. It's not all perfect, of course.

As for the coincidences, yeah, I think coincidence plays a part, but not 100%
Racial discrimination plays a part, but it's not a one way street.

Just a wild guess here, but when a black person living on the north side decides to move, I doubt they have their sights set on Menomonee Falls. Try Chicago for starters, but more likely places like Atlanta or Dallas.
Again, you have to consider the times and the trends. I doubt the pasty-white counties around Milwaukee will ever be anything but, because white suburbanites are about the only ones drawn to such a place on any significant scale. Especially that far north. Nashville would be a different story.
I also doubt that Milwaukee and it's surrounding areas could do anything differently to integrate it more unless the migration trend somehow reverses. Otherwise, it's just going to be slow and steady like it has been, and will probably start to move into outlying areas at some point, but not very quickly.
That part of the world is appealing mostly to winter-loving weirdos like myself and possibly Urban Hipsters who think Chicago is too ironic.

And... internet autonomy is a dirty little thing sometimes. Not just the JS, but you can go to just about any major paper and read the comments.... oh boy. Anyway, some require you to sign up and use "real names", which cuts down on it a little of it. Just a little.

Last edited by northbound74; 04-01-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
that's you.
a masters degree isn't needed and is often gotten later over a summer or three so they'll get a huge bump in pay.
Act 10 has done away with the "bump in pay" that public teachers might have achieved with an M.A.

Quote:
Does it really take masters level education to teach elementary school? Middle school? Or even high school? Nope.
I think it's a good idea for high school teaching, as the subject matter gets more complex. For elementary and middle school grades, I'm not sure an M.A. is necessary in most cases, but it can't hurt, either.

Quote:
Most of the teaching is from a book/test anyway.
Not really. The book and tests, etc. are just scripts and props. The real teaching comes from the teacher's personality and her/his ability to convey information and processes to students.

Quote:
And your 70-80K a 9 month year, add 20K/year for their lavish medical and retirement package to bring them up to 100K/year. So a 32 year old working a part time job get's 100K in your world.
When that is 51 years old, they can retire at with a base salary figure around 140k?
None of this makes sense, but you seem to have issues with the success of other people.

Quote:
Wow. no wonder the teachers are so angry as they seem to want to do anything to protect their one percenter lifestyle. If I had such a silver spoon life, i'd get mad if others wanted not keep paying for my royalty too.
In the meantime, the true one-percenters are laughing at you, and the truly disadvantaged people in this country and world covet your own lavish lifestyle.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,906,740 times
milt sounds like one of those people with a jealous "crabs in a basket" type mentality that simply hates anyone that has worked hard to get a successful job with decent benefits.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
I would still like to meet one of these 100k 32 yo teachers. Laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
milt sounds like one of those people with a jealous "crabs in a basket" type mentality that simply hates anyone that has worked hard to get a successful job with decent benefits.

Yup, instead of working to prop everyone else up, they work to tear down others down. It's twisted. Just what the ruling elite want: working people to turn on working people.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,906,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would still like to meet one of these 100k 32 yo teachers. Laughable.

Yup, instead of working to prop everyone else up, they work to tear down others down. It's twisted. Just what the ruling elite want: working people to turn on working people.
Yup..."divide and conquer" as Governor Walker said on camera once.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM

432 posts, read 445,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Teachers were forced into early retirement
wrong.

Quote:
We know have a shortage of experienced, competent teachers.
wrong.

Quote:
Nothing is new with retired teachers coming back as Subs when needed.. NONE are back full time, just subbing.
wrong.

At least you're consistent.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM

432 posts, read 445,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
You conveniently ignore facts when it suits you.
the left/liberals/progressives are always heavy on the accusations and proclamations....

Quote:
No crap virtually all major urban areas have democrat's as elected officials.... All you greedy tea baggers ran for the suburbs after you used up everything in the urban areas.... Ran with you money... Leave the problems of society for some one else to deal with...
you people are amusing, especially you that live in a "very rural area" and pays relatively little in taxes....

is illinois a city? california a city? is michigan a city? is west virginia a city? is new york state a city? etc.
these are states that have long been bastions of the democrat party, so enough time has progressed to make them into a democrat paradise. i'm sure there are others, but no matter what, you're too myopic and too much of a leftist to see anything but what you proclaim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin